• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshap
DSC_7232edit.jpg

DSC_7259edit.jpg

10082010SMPMark2-12.jpg

3fa147e5.jpg

IMG_1501-1.jpg

cheers.gif

want every watch you own
bounce2.gif

walkinthepark

Reaction score
I just got this:

NesOw.jpg

I know next to nothing about watches , but it's my first "real" watch. Any thoughts/comments? Is this an all around good watch to wear casually and even ok for formal occasions?

thanks!

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by walkinthepark
I just got this:

I know next to nothing about watches , but it's my first "real" watch. Any thoughts/comments? Is this an all around good watch to wear casually and even ok for formal occasions?

thanks!

they would not win Mr.Watch contest to say the least.

Ugly design. Gold bezel on the silver case? Unmatching leather strap with worn out threads.
I doubt if they are not cheap replica of TH Link model.
Sorry to say that but you have asked for comments.

bing

Reaction score
My 1940's Omega Cal 265. Restored with a new Omega strap and buckle as well as new hands (all 3) and a fresh acryllic crystal.

Omega%20Nikon%20(2).JPG

I don't wear it very often because it's 34mm. But it gets some wrist time on special occassions or when i'm just bored. You can buy these on ebay for under $500, but not in this condition. When they are this age they are very often in poor shape. This one also keeps great time after just an oiling 2 years ago.

My daily is an ORIS XXL Chronograph, 44mm, Valjoux 7750 auto. It's a little big but lots of wrist presence and keeps great time. Discontinued and you see very very few of them around.

6774_227591850178_542005178_7653279_4425582_n.jpg

walkinthepark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
they would not win Mr.Watch contest to say the least. Ugly design. Gold bezel on the silver case? Unmatching leather strap with worn out threads. I doubt if they are not cheap replica of TH Link model. Sorry to say that but you have asked for comments.
If you are insinuating that its a replica/fake - you are very sadly mistaken. Should I change the strap?

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Downgraded from ten to just three; and I think the first two are going to go in favor of an all black Sub-C. Can't stand the green all the time. Although, especially in this picture, if you are not looking at the greengold face dead on, it comes off forest green or even black.

photo.jpg

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
The Speedy is a stunning, masculine iconic watch with great history. However, it's not a chronometer grade movement. I think tolerance is perhaps 10 (or more) seconds plus or minus a day. Not a deal breaker for me, but something to keep in mind. The main thing I don't like about the modern day 3570.50 version is the damn crown is so small and as a result it's friggin hard to grip the crown for manual winding

I noticed this when trying it on. It was a pain **********, had to use fingernails to pull the crown out. It is at the bottom of my 'top' list.

Still the Speedy is a great alternative to the ubiquitous ad nauseum Submariner, which has become something of an obnoxious nouveau riche status symbol. In fairness, the Rolex Sub really died in 1984 when Rolex started putting white gold hour surrounds on the dial hour markers. At least the Speedy doesn't have white gold soiling the dial.
The older Subs that were true tool watches are very cool. Have seen a few on TZ without crown guard, cyclops, etc. and they are fanfuckingtastic. I don't mind the 16610 no-date either, but it is basically the default choice for guys under 40 with money to blow on a watch. I really, really don't like the new ceramic version (honestly don't like a single Rolex being made right now).

I am not giving up on the DateJust/Explorer I yet- 36mm does feel small to me, but just like I thought some watches felt too big at first, I think I would get used to it. 36mm has been a standard size for decades. Finding used Rolex models locally is not hard, finding a simple SS DateJust from the 80s-90s is proving very tough, which is bizarre. Patience is a big part of this process.

I am going to end up getting two. The DateJust with silver dial, stick hour markers, and oyster bracelet would be my dress watch. The casual watch would be either the Explorer I, Mark XVI on strap, SpeedMaster, or Aqua Terra SeaMaster.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones
I think the first two are going to go in favor of an all black Sub-C. Can't stand the green all the time.

Can't you just pick up a black bezel insert for the maxi dial LV?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly following the spirit of this thread here, but since the thread I started has been largely ignored, thought posting here might yield me some responses.

Where can I find something like this and more affordable:

Attachment 55838

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads