1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

Srsly? Grand Seiko's are amazing - quality and price!!

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

To answer his question, about 50 years now.....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. bmms8

bmms8 Active Member

Their spring drive movement is unrivaled. There is a certain hang up with the brand, which is perfectly fine, though their watches are amazing and the best bang for your buck

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

$5,000+?

$150,000
    [​IMG]

$550,000
    [​IMG]

6. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

> If you buy a pair for $100 and they last you six months, which was the more expensive? I think the Old Money WASP...

This logic from your sig is laughable.
    I have $100 shoes that are 8 years old, and still look stunning.
    Shit, I have $30 sneaker that have lasted a decade, and are in great shape.

7. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I can't imagine the watch companies ever reducing the retail price, even the exchange moves in the opposite direction or the economy change.

8. ohyoumad

ohyoumad Senior member

yes, sorry, i meant bracelets.

9. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

ugh... $5000 for a seiko?
    reminds me of...
    [​IMG]

$5000 is IWC/Rolex/Highline Omega +++

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Junior Varsity, funny you should mention IWC, Rolex and Omega. I own watches from all these manufacturers. Grand Seiko more than holds it's own against them.

As mentioned in an earlier post, my GS is beautifully finished, with an accuracy which exceeds COSC. Moreover, Seiko is more vertically integrated than most Swiss brands. However if you, like many others, don't get it, that's fine by me!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  11. bmms8

bmms8 Active Member

im reminded of Chaz in wedding crashers, "good, more for me and you!" :slayer:

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Some are in the $7K range I believe.

13. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

This is an interesting view - you should start an ecomonic thought thread.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

This. If the Swiss Franc goes down, they will keep prices where they are and make even more money.

K, making sure I understood.

15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

yes and no. They are not immune to financial pressures. The Swiss government did not decide to peg the Swiss to the Euro for shits and giggles. While they would not reduce prices, they would offer a larger "accomodation" to their retailers and you would see a lot more stuff makes its way to grey market retailers. In 2008, when the economy first hit the fan, an acquaintance purchased a PP and Panerai at two different AR's and both offered him significant discounts (+15%) before he even asked. Before this I never really heard of popular higher end stuff being so easily discounted at AR's. I would expect similar to occur and just a lot more AR's sending stuff to the grey market guys.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Regarding the Grand Seiko's, here is my take why they don't do so well compared to the Swiss companies:

1) Name. Sorry, but it's true. For the general world public certain brand names conjure up quality + exclusiveness and others don't. Seiko does not conjure up the same catchet as say Rolex, regardless if the quality is the same. I know that in Japan they don't differentiate between a low end Toyota with a Toyota Century, but the rest of the world doesn't think that away; to them Coach is Coach, LV is LV, Hermes is Hermes. And Coach could never be Hermes, and Hermes could never be Coach.

2) Non-mechanical purely movements. The Spring Drive is technically fantastic, but since it utilizes non-mechanical parts, it takes away from its 'perceived purity', which is one of the main selling points of Swiss watches: mechanical purity.

3) Design. Let's be truly honest: other than the Spring Drive movements, the actual design of GS's are rather lacking in terms of style. Many of them look like more expensive, more robust Seiko's... I assume that they have the same designers. The GS logo is IMHO not a good design and the dials seem like well, Seiko versions of Rolex.

I'm not taking anything away from Seiko regarding their achievements with the movement, nor with the case quality, however, the watches will never be real competition against the Swiss unless they change basically everything about the watches to make them more, well Swiss (and German as well, see GO / Lange).

17. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^

Grand Seiko does very well both in terms of sales and reputation/review versus German/Swiss counterparts. I doubt they want to change anything, they are what they are and they seem to be very happy about it

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, there are other variables to consider here: was the AR in financial trouble? Because sometimes that occurs, and they will start giving better discounts from the get go if they are hurting. Also, as aforementioned in this thread certain companies, such as PP have gone up so stratospherically both in the new and pre-owned markets, that I don't foresee them being discounted greatly (Panerai is a different story).

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I was talking about general perception due to the comment by another poster regarding his reaction that a Seiko cost $5K. Like I said, they would have to change basically everything about the watches to make a dent, worldwide against the Swiss, and they aren't going to do that. In the world of WIS's its a different matter altogether, and GS's are considered :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.