• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sixth Man of the Year award... again, well deserved.
5b8f868a08b9c6615cd6d467dc93eaf9-getty-98447572bc010_6th_man.jpg

I wonder what they do with the Kia they win? I think Dwight Howard also got one for winning DPOY.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is an incredibly biased viewpoint, but Wade will not have it better than Miami. he works for a first class organization that takes care of its players, especially its franchise ones (just ask Zo), he is the biggest, most beloved sports star (now that Tim Tebow's off to CO) in a city where many people would kill just to play in - you should see how Miami just lays itself at his feet - and no other franchise can pay him more (not just because of CBA rules, FL also has no state income tax).

he also plays for a team that has tremendous cap flexibility and is attractive to free agents because of him, the location, and the management. he needs to just sign a max contract right the **** now, and then hit the recruiting trail and do his part to get the help he wants so ******* bad. but he has to sign - after the Baron/Elton Brand fiasco last year, do you think any marquee FA will sign if Wade is still unsigned?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hard to say but Miami doesn't really need to sign a franchise player to keep him. A good one or two decent go to guys can make the difference. Get Steve Blake or Ridnour in the PG position and then add someone like David Lee or Haywood and you got a pretty solid team.

I am sure that if they manage to get Bosh or Boozer in the discussion, Wade would sign. I am sure any big moves will be consulted with Wade and if that will be enough for him to sign. Either way, if someone like Bosh/Boozer signs with Miami and Wade leaves, they can get another player to back Bosh up anyways but Miamis main goal is to re-sign Wade.

It won't be easy because Haslem, O'neal, Wright and Richardson are open to leave next year too iirc. So the team will have those spots empty if those guys do not re-sign/sign an extension. Without major change, I just do not see Wade staying. He wants to win first and foremost and there are bigger markets out there where he could make more money like in LA or NY.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hawks vs. Bucks, awesome game. Bucks were down by 10+ by the 4th and rallied to take the lead to 5. Horford shot a banked 3-pointer from the top of the arc to bring it to within 2 with 10 secodns left. And damnt he Bucks leads 3-2 over the Hawks.

I must admit, I picked the Bucks to come out of the East but lost hope when Bogut got hurt but they are taking advantage of their opportunity rolling with it. Fear the Deer!!!
devil.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Hawks vs. Bucks, awesome game. Bucks were down by 10+ by the 4th and rallied to take the lead to 5. Horford shot a banked 3-pointer from the top of the arc to bring it to within 2 with 10 secodns left. And damnt he Bucks leads 3-2 over the Hawks.

I must admit, I picked the Bucks to come out of the East but lost hope when Bogut got hurt but they are taking advantage of their opportunity rolling with it. Fear the Deer!!!
devil.gif

you chose bucks to come out of the east over cavs or magic? even with bogut, that is far fetched
eh.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
My mistake, yeah Steve B. despises Kobe. Right now, I'd still take the Lakers starting 5. Bynum, Pau and Kobe over Hill, Ginobili and Duncan. I agree, Lakers bench sucks but it was the exact same bench as last year but they do suck. I don't know why but they did get worst.

The 2005 Lakers was a joke because it had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown further emphasizing that that crappy team is better than the Spurs this year, which I admit that it wasn't because there really can't be any worst than that team.
lol8[1].gif

That's 3 on 3, not 5 on 5.
1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Pau
4. Ginobili
5. Bynum
6. Hill/ Jefferson
7. Artest/Odom
The Skittles
8. Tony Parker/McDyess
9. Matt Bonner
10. DeJuan Blair

96. Fish

The Laydeez are goin' down...

If we can get by Dallas, who are better still (on paper anyway)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
That's 3 on 3, not 5 on 5.
1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Pau
4. Ginobili
5. Bynum
6. Hill/ Jefferson
7. Artest/Odom
The Skittles
8. Tony Parker/McDyess
9. Matt Bonner
10. DeJuan Blair

96. Fish

The Laydeez are goin' down...

If we can get by Dallas, who are better still (on paper anyway)

Ok, lets see...

Kobe vs. Ginobili ... Manu has been playign well but Kobe is Kobe even with all the injuries
Fisher vs. Hill ... Ok, Hill has the advantage but for a last second shot, Fisher is taking it over Hill
Bynum vs. Mcdyess ... Bynum and no contest
Pau vs. Duncan ... Kind of a draw but Pau with the edge since Duncan has stunk the last 2 games an Pau has played almost the whole series so far
Artest vs. Jefferson ... Artest with his defense alone, Jefferson just plain sucked this season

Also, qouted as proof that Steve admits Kobe is the best by putting him on #1. WOW!

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you chose bucks to come out of the east over cavs or magic? even with bogut, that is far fetched
eh.gif

Yup, I've picked the Bucks with Bogut after the ASG, you can find me post it here probably 50 pages back. It was more of a I'm rooting for them pick but I did pick them to come out up top in the East the way they were playing.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Gibsons ceiling is so low though, he's had good double-double games, I think I am extra generous on him because he was in my fantasy team and he helped me win blocks and rebs 1/4 being offensive. I don't think a double-double w/ 1-2 blks is a low ceiling, Haywood has been averaging close to that with less points and he has been a good asset (Mavs just doesn't utilize him as much).

Taj will never be an all-star, but I second the notion that hes a solid player.

Whats going to keep him in the league even though he is terribly undersized (he is fairly athletic though, Brothersport) is his wingspan and hustle, it contributes to his knack for rebounding and blocking.

Hes also got serviceable post moves too; can turn around shoot short jumpers or face up and drive on slower PF's... I follow USC basketball and hes been literally the ONLY post presence in those years.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Aldridge, I think they would definitely compete. Look at what they have now and just add Aldridge in and you got a solid team. Aldridge isn't the biggest post threat but he can post and fade or post and hook. Sure they'd have a weak post offense but it will still be better than it is now. Now there isn't much threat in the post so they can double Rose and Deng but with Aldridge, he can spot up with his range and free up the lane for Rose and if they guard him he kick it out to Aldridge or Deng. You can live without much post offense as long you have a decent to good post defense, which with Gibson, Noah and Aldridge would have been good enough in the East.
Imagine their team w/ a post-trade John Salmons.
lol8[1].gif

I wonder what they do with the Kia they win? I think Dwight Howard also got one for winning DPOY.
It's like asking the winner of Esquire's Best Dressed Man what he does w/ $10,000 worth of Kenneth Cole, haha.
Originally Posted by HRoi
this is an incredibly biased viewpoint, but Wade will not have it better than Miami. he works for a first class organization that takes care of its players, especially its franchise ones (just ask Zo), he is the biggest, most beloved sports star (now that Tim Tebow's off to CO) in a city where many people would kill just to play in - you should see how Miami just lays itself at his feet - and no other franchise can pay him more (not just because of CBA rules, FL also has no state income tax).

he also plays for a team that has tremendous cap flexibility and is attractive to free agents because of him, the location, and the management. he needs to just sign a max contract right the **** now, and then hit the recruiting trail and do his part to get the help he wants so ******* bad. but he has to sign - after the Baron/Elton Brand fiasco last year, do you think any marquee FA will sign if Wade is still unsigned?

Isn't Miami notoriously (and for good reason) apathetic when it comes to supporting sports teams? With that said, Wade's gonna stay, it's an incredible location, and too much really changes year-by-year in the NBA for you to sign a long-term contract solely due to the roster. Everyone's got a chance (cept the Clippers because of managerial issues). I feel like recruiting your friends really really wouldn't do anything at the superstar level. They're gonna make their own decisions, based off of their own camps' ideas.
Hard to say but Miami doesn't really need to sign a franchise player to keep him. A good one or two decent go to guys can make the difference. Get Steve Blake or Ridnour in the PG position and then add someone like David Lee or Haywood and you got a pretty solid team.

I am sure that if they manage to get Bosh or Boozer in the discussion, Wade would sign. I am sure any big moves will be consulted with Wade and if that will be enough for him to sign. Either way, if someone like Bosh/Boozer signs with Miami and Wade leaves, they can get another player to back Bosh up anyways but Miamis main goal is to re-sign Wade.

It won't be easy because Haslem, O'neal, Wright and Richardson are open to leave next year too iirc. So the team will have those spots empty if those guys do not re-sign/sign an extension. Without major change, I just do not see Wade staying. He wants to win first and foremost and there are bigger markets out there where he could make more money like in LA or NY.

I'm not sure how you equate Blake/Ridnour/Haywood with a "go to guy." You sign those guys and they continue being below-average starters for a championship team bar none. David Lee isn't a bad complementary piece but I don't think he can currently be the #2 player on a team contending (top 4 teams) for a ring.

Rumor has it that Bosh wants to be #1 wherever he goes, severely putting a damper on the whole "SUPER TEAM" talk. Wade apparently really loves Dorell Wright as a person. Haslem isn't bad, O'Neal is terrible, and Richardson is mediocre. The Heat will sign somebody decent, and Wade's gonna stay anyway.
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Taj will never be an all-star, but I second the notion that hes a solid player.

Whats going to keep him in the league even though he is terribly undersized (he is fairly athletic though, Brothersport) is his wingspan and hustle, it contributes to his knack for rebounding and blocking.

Hes also got serviceable post moves too; can turn around shoot short jumpers or face up and drive on slower PF's... I follow USC basketball and hes been literally the ONLY post presence in those years.

Yeah, I just looked up his wingspan and it's pretty nuts for his height (7'4" vs. 6'9"). But his reach isn't incredible.
confused.gif
Does that just mean he has a thick torso? Lol.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Utah: I hate how they throw up their hands for calls and yell for them, too. Deron Williams is UNPARALELLED at drawing fouls. The officials never missed a marginal call on him, and that was in Denver. You can imagine the situation in Utah. I'm not saying that most of them weren't legit, either.

C.J. Miles looks Indian.

Re: Denver: Wow, they really really did not try very hard on the defensive end last night. Carmelo is doing everything he possibly can on offense and a lot on the boards, but he doesn't close out at all. He roams around on defense like Wade, but he doesn't get the results that Wade gets and lets his man run way too free.

Denver overall just plays ****** defense. Their rotations are all unsound and usually late, which is awful particularly against Utah. Kenyon Martin shows poorly against most pick-and-rolls, which allows Deron Williams to pretty easily find someone 10 ft from the basket, who either makes it or misses a shot due to two Nuggets tryin to block shots, which allows Boozer to follow for the lay-up.

Denver didn't even really try that hard on offense. They didn't try to run or anything. Billups isn't playing very well and is getting very few calls that he relies on. Johan Petro is mostly useless and got faked out of his shoes by one move of Boozer's twice. Boozer laughed.

Birdman did play really guttily, and pretty well last night, though. He was clearly limping up and down the court and stayed in the game.

I don't know why Utah didn't use Korver that much last night. Had they, I feel like they had a decent chance of closing out the series. Denver really didn't play particularly well, perhaps until the end of the game.

Nene has the potential to be Denver's second-best player, and is a huge blow.

The Lakers are going to get a really beat-up team, honestly. Lucky for them.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
I'm not sure how you equate Blake/Ridnour/Haywood with a "go to guy." You sign those guys and they continue being below-average starters for a championship team bar none. David Lee isn't a bad complementary piece but I don't think he can currently be the #2 player on a team contending (top 4 teams) for a ring.

Rumor has it that Bosh wants to be #1 wherever he goes, severely putting a damper on the whole "SUPER TEAM" talk. Wade apparently really loves Dorell Wright as a person. Haslem isn't bad, O'Neal is terrible, and Richardson is mediocre. The Heat will sign somebody decent, and Wade's gonna stay anyway.

I wouldn't consider Blake/Ridnour/Haywood as go to but those are the kind of support he needs to stay, as in addition to whoever they get. If you really think about it though, their #2 guy right now is Beasley and David Lee is a huge upgrade. I don't know why you can't have him as a #2 guy though, he can easily average 20-12 in the season and he has been developing a mid-range shot. I think he is a good compliment to a star who handle the ball a lot, like Wade/LBJ. They can dribble as much as they can and drop it to Lee in the post or when they drive Lee could finish off a good quick pass in the lane, even a few feet from the rim.

Look at a team with Wade, Ridnour or Blake, Beasley, Lee and Haslem or Haywood then have Chalmers, QRich, Wright and a few roles players in the bench. Pretty solid team I think.

Now from what I read, Bosh wants to win so I automatically assumed he would take that #2 role if on the same team as LBJ or Wade, either way I don't see him staying in Toronto. Maybe he can go to Houston? With Yao Ming coming back, he could still be the #1 but have a good team built around him. Yao, Ariza, Mighty Mouse, Martin, Scola, Lowry, Budinger, Battier, Jeffries, Hill and Hayes and add Bosh to that, I'll be damned if they didn't become a contender. Might be farfetch with Martin there, not sure how much he is getting paid it is probably a lot or he is still in his old contract?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
anybody care to break down the celtics v cavs series?

To be honest, I would but I also picked the Heat to come out on top and win the series 4-1 or 4-2 and I was badly mistaken. I would still assume the Cavs would win but the Celtics still got some bite in them. Ray Allen has been playing well and when he can give you 20-25 points a game, the Celtics usually win. It will be a physical game I would imagine, we'd also have to consider how legit LBJ's elbow injury is so we'll see.

For now, I'd guess Cavs 4-2 but I am not too confident on that guess.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Blake/Ridnour/Haywood as go to but those are the kind of support he needs to stay, as in addition to whoever they get. If you really think about it though, their #2 guy right now is Beasley and David Lee is a huge upgrade. I don't know why you can't have him as a #2 guy though, he can easily average 20-12 in the season and he has been developing a mid-range shot. I think he is a good compliment to a star who handle the ball a lot, like Wade/LBJ. They can dribble as much as they can and drop it to Lee in the post or when they drive Lee could finish off a good quick pass in the lane, even a few feet from the rim.

Look at a team with Wade, Ridnour or Blake, Beasley, Lee and Haslem or Haywood then have Chalmers, QRich, Wright and a few roles players in the bench. Pretty solid team I think.

Now from what I read, Bosh wants to win so I automatically assumed he would take that #2 role if on the same team as LBJ or Wade, either way I don't see him staying in Toronto. Maybe he can go to Houston? With Yao Ming coming back, he could still be the #1 but have a good team built around him. Yao, Ariza, Mighty Mouse, Martin, Scola, Lowry, Budinger, Battier, Jeffries, Hill and Hayes and add Bosh to that, I'll be damned if they didn't become a contender. Might be farfetch with Martin there, not sure how much he is getting paid it is probably a lot or he is still in his old contract?

I think it just depends what you define as a "contender." W/ David Lee added, I think the Heat would have home-court in the playoffs in the East, but I don't think they would realistically have a shot at the title whatsoever. I feel as though it's pretty clear that you need either two HOF-caliber players to win a title (Lakers w/ O'Neal/Bryant, maybe even w/ Bryant/Gasol; Heat; Celtics w/ Big 3), or at least one HOF-caliber player with at least 2 All-Star talents (Spurs, Magic). Wade is the HOF guy, Lee can be an All-Star, but nobody else you listed would move that team to the next level. Wade + Lee with all the flotsam he currently has would not beat the current Cavs, Magic, and the Hawks/Celts would be debatable.

I read that the insiders think that Bosh doesn't want to win as much as he wants to be the #1 guy, which absolutely cuts down the SUPERTEAM theories. I also don't think he's going to Toronto.

Houston reallllllly just depends on the tragic state of the health of Yao. It's all the more terrible that he was a rock for his first few years in the league and then has gotten injured so much since then. I have to say that I don't know how much cap space they're going to have, but I don't think I've heard them named as one of the teams that has room for a max player. Kevin Martin has a pretty palatable contract, really. I think he's making ~$12 mil/yr.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You made great points but I think Wade with one additional AllStar will do. Look at MJ with Pippen, they took a team consisting of Kukoc and Longley, literally no legit center in their championship run. Now of course they have MJ, but Wade still has more talent in Beasley (I think he can be an Odom type of players except I think his brain is the size of JR Smiths) and the developing Chalmers. Now if they get a legit center, I don't think there has been a champion that doesn't have a legit center ever since the Bulls era (the worst center was probably Piston with the 2 Wallaces but even those 2 were a beast that year and did have 5 all stars), then they'd be a good contender in a very weak Eastern Conference.

With all the players that Miami can drop and sign, I am sure they can pick up 2-3 role players along with someone like Lee or Bosh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads