• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Yesterday I rowed two 19 minute pyramids with a 2 minute break between. The pyramid was 18 s/m for 4 minutes, 20 s/m for 3 minutes, 22 s/m for 2 minutes and 24 s/m for 1 minute, then the other way around, keeping around a 2:10. I rowed about 8200m in this, warmups included i rowed about 11000m. I'm feeling really good, my split times are dropping steadily.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1K @ 3:25
1K @ 3:27

Then I played with from for probably 3K or so. That video seemed to help a bit to make sure I don't lunge, but the leg angle is impossible to duplicate on an erg since my feet sit below my hips and not parallel as the video shows.

I also have a problem getting my ankles to vertical -- they're usually about 10 degrees short of full vertical. I row faster with a shallower angle at my ankles. This makes more sense biologically as well, since the muscle will have greater tension potential while being slightly stretched as opposed to fully stretched or flexed.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
1K @ 3:25 1K @ 3:27 Then I played with from for probably 3K or so. That video seemed to help a bit to make sure I don't lunge, but the leg angle is impossible to duplicate on an erg since my feet sit below my hips and not parallel as the video shows.
Nice. Some things can't be helped, IME. For me it was impossible to get even a 90 degree (or do you say 100 in the US?) angle between back and legs. Therefore I had a round back as IIRC is shown an example of in the video.
Originally Posted by why
I also have a problem getting my ankles to vertical -- they're usually about 10 degrees short of full vertical. I row faster with a shallower angle at my ankles. This makes more sense biologically as well, since the muscle will have greater tension potential while being slightly stretched as opposed to fully stretched or flexed.
This depends I think. A longer stroke makes it possible to give out power longer. So with the same number of strokes/minute and the same power output per (inch of) stroke You'll go just a little bit harder. The body can impede perfect form, though, as mine did. This talk about erging almost makes me wish for a try on an erg again. Although to me it was one of the most mindnumbing exercises, I've experienced. Effective as it is.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by this thread today and decided to row instead of cruising on the elliptical. I think I've used the rower twice in the last 5 years... Did two 2ks and seemed to be stuck in the 2:15-2:30 / 500m zone. First 2k was 10:12 and second was 10:37. Is there any hope for me to make a good use of this machine or should I just get back to cruising on the elliptical while watching CNN?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I was inspired by this thread today and decided to row instead of cruising on the elliptical. I think I've used the rower twice in the last 5 years... Did two 2ks and seemed to be stuck in the 2:15-2:30 / 500m zone. First 2k was 10:12 and second was 10:37. Is there any hope for me to make a good use of this machine or should I just get back to cruising on the elliptical while watching CNN?

Yes loads of hope. Use the machine. Still low impact like an elliptical, yet way better.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
This depends I think. A longer stroke makes it possible to give out power longer. So with the same number of strokes/minute and the same power output per (inch of) stroke You'll go just a little bit harder. The body can impede perfect form, though, as mine did.

Yes, but efficiency is lost when the stroke is too long (sarcomeric overlap in the quadriceps). Then again, that has to be weighed against the loss of efficiency by increasing the SPM since each recovery phase uses energy that doesn't produce work.

I'm going to keep working on the 4x1K 2x/wk while maintaining my 4x2K 1x/wk for aerobic endurance for a while and I'll see if this helps. My finger is healing quickly, so hopefully I can try for some hard 20-30spm pulls as well.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, 4x1K again (probably should have spaced these out in the week, but oh well):

1K @ 3:26
1K @ 3:28
Run awkwardly 5K

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Row 2K @ 7:07 (was going to be a normal-paced warmup for a 'rest' day but I felt strong...)
Run 5K

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
500m @ 1:57
10 min. pyramid (2:20-1:47 splits)
10 min. pyramid (2:05-1:43 splits)
500m @ 1:55
Run 2mi

Geez, I'm slow. Anyway, this is pretty awesome:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been able to run recently due to a lack of ice, so taking a break from the erg. Wanted to see how my legs have recovered in the time away, so I ran up to the gym to test.

2K @ 7:07 and felt strong. I wasn't out of breath and my quadriceps weren't filled with lactic acid like on my other sub-7:10 2Ks.
bigstar[1].gif

w.mj

Reaction score
Question for the more experienced rowers here:

I usually do 3k on a "10" setting on the theory that it will better build up muscles. Is there any advantage to doing that instead of, for example, a 5k on a "7" or am I simply mucking up my form by doing the stronger resistance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads