Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Santoni shoes

Where: 864 Madison Ave

When: 3/12, 3/19 & 3/26 Sunday 10am-4pm

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Given that it's Sundays only, is this some sort of special sale?

3. von Rothbart

I don't know. But based on the last sale, I wouldn't expect much.

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Thanks. It's two blocks away from church, so I'll stop by and see what they have.

dan

5. mussel

mussel Senior member

The current Hermes sale is a total bust. No ties, pocket squares, JL or shoetrees. Just tired overpriced suits, shirts, coats, jackets and casual shoes left over from the last sale.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Last night I walked by Phil's 1908, a haberdashery just east of Bloomingdales. big 50% off signs in the window. Attractive, italan-style coats, ties, shirts, shoes, etc. Thinking more about shirts, shoes...suits seem to be suspiciously low priced.

Does anyone have any experience with this joint?

Here is background:

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 11, 2004

Menswear Designer and Store Owner Philip Pravda today announced the opening of "Phil's 1908," a 2300 square foot, multi-level, completely visible, retail corner housing Italian couture.

The flagship at the corner of 59th Street and Third Avenue was designed with turn of the century architecture in mind and resembles New York City brownstones of the 1900's.

For over 20 years menswear designer Phil Pravda has been a leader in designing exclusive hand made men's suits, shirts and ties. Now that he has opened a new flagship store at the corner of 59th Street and Third Avenue all New Yorkers can wear what only few have been able to. "I have taken the excellent fit of the hand made goods and modeled that into an all Italian made garment that is hand finished. The result was a great fitting suit with a starting price of $300 US. I choose the fabrics of super 100's to super 120's wool, good for daily use, and produce the collection all in Italy," says Pravda. "My great-grandfather started in this business in 1908, four generations later I want all men to experience our fit. They will be amazed at the fit, fabrics and price."

Phil's 1908 stocks over 900 pieces in all sizes and will begin custom made suit and shirt programs during the month of March." The shop will also carry boy's suits, shirts and ties that will match the men's collection. The collection will expand during the spring with the addition of sport jackets, trousers and rainwear. The area now being deemed 'Phil's Corner' is directly across from the soon to open Bloomberg News Media Tower on 59th Street and Third Avenue.

MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=4570547

7. von Rothbart

At the Santoni sales, all FAM $249, others $149. There're still some FAMs especially in the smaller sizes when I left.

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I just got back and there were some nice 8.5's FAM's and smaller still left. Unfortunately nothing in my size. Good thing for my credit card.

9. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

mussel, Hermes sale? I thought their stuff supposedly never went on sale.

10. von Rothbart

I just got back and there were some nice 8.5's FAM's and smaller still left.

Some very nice 8.5s especially the one with Norwegian welt and front.

Andrew, IIRC 8.5 is your size. Did you go?

11. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some very nice 8.5s especially the one with Norwegian welt and front.

Andrew, IIRC 8.5 is your size. Did you go?

8.5 is the size VR. I haven't hit it yet, though now I'm giving real consideration to heading over tomorrow. The Norwegian is calling me. How do you think they comapre to the Testoni's we picked up earlier in the year?

12. von Rothbart

mussel, Hermes sale? I thought their stuff supposedly never went on sale.

May be the flagship never goes on sale. They do have semi-annual sales off site and they used to consolidate the sale with JL. Now JL runs its own sale in-store. I got some JL shoetrees last time at a great price. I didn't bother to go this time.

13. von Rothbart

8.5 is the size VR. I haven't hit it yet, though now I'm giving real consideration to heading over tomorrow. The Norwegian is calling me. How do you think they comapre to the Testoni's we picked up earlier in the year?

The sale runs 3 consecutive Sundays, so I doubt they'd have any sale merchandise tomorrow. But call them before you head over.

The Santoni Nowegian I saw had better finish than the Testoni, very heavy sole, medium apron. I'd buy them if they were my size.

14. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

The sale runs 3 consecutive Sundays, so I doubt they'd have any sale merchandise tomorrow. But call them before you head over.

The Santoni Nowegian I saw had better finish than the Testoni, very heavy sole, medium apron. I'd buy them if they were my size.

Thanks VR. Right, now I recall the 3-Sunday thing. Well it wiill have to be next weekend then.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

There's a Ralph Lauren Home sample sale starting on Tuesday. I'll be going, I actually need furniture and light fixtures...