• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you object to products from high-end clothing brands that are Made in China?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only do because I know how cheap it is to make stuff in China so I feel ripped off. My friend owns a factory in Shanghai that I visited. I've also attended various fairs such as the Canton Fair. Also seeing authentic Tommy Bahama shirts being sold in Shanghai for $10 when they are being sold at Macy's for $175 made me feel pretty sick.

If Jantzen shirts were $195 a pop would people still buy from them? I sure wouldn't.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
I only do because I know how cheap it is to make stuff in China so I feel ripped off. My friend owns a factory in Shanghai that I visited. I've also attended various fairs such as the Canton Fair. Also seeing authentic Tommy Bahama shirts being sold in Shanghai for $10 when they are being sold at Macy's for $175 made me feel pretty sick.

If Jantzen shirts were $195 a pop would people still buy from them? I sure wouldn't.

This.

It's all about perceived 'value' - and country of manufacture plays a big part in that. A lot of people are convinced that 'made in Italy' means...

handmade3.jpg

...as opposed to the reality...

new-bedford-sweatshop.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was going to jump in with a punk song about hating the Chinese, but had second thoughts.

Can't say I've had much opportunity to buy made in China luxury goods, so I'll pass on the poll.

The question makes me think only of the cheaper, not as nice sweaters from Brooks Brothers that have replaced some of the Made in Scotland ones. And the whole 346 brand (and that stuff is not luxury goods). Yes no doubt the Made in China stuff tarnishes the American "Makers" image of Brooks Brothers. If BB was the definition of luxury, I suppose I'd have to object.

What luxury goods does China make right now? Are we just talking about those sweaters? Knives are not luxury goods, and computers don't really fit the description for me. I'm not persuaded there are as many chances to object as the thread suggests. None of that mall crap and nothing in Walmart qualifies as a luxury good.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@apropos, You're right. Just like stuff made in India, shipped back to the UK for finishing touches and labeled Made in England. China does have a bad perceived value and probably will never lose that stereotype. My judgement is solely based on my personal experience in China. Since I have never been or done business with Italy directly I can't really make a judgement against Italy.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
If presented with the made in China and made in Italy RLPL cashmere sweaters side-by-side with tags removed, I doubt I could tell them apart.
+1 I doubt any of us, including the OP could tell the difference...
Originally Posted by apropos
This. It's all about perceived 'value' - and country of manufacture plays a big part in that. A lot of people are convinced that 'made in Italy' means...
handmade3.jpg
...as opposed to the reality...
new-bedford-sweatshop.jpg

Bingo! The issue, like with the above, is all a perception issue with little to do with reality... but what do I know, I use a Chinese communist as my avatar...

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Really? You think thay foreign businesses caused the toxics found in toys made in China? How about all the imitation stuff that's being made there? Is that Louis Vuitton's or Prada's fault? Come on.

In the toy manufacturer case a year or two ago didnt they find out that the toxic dyes / paint were actually specced by the American customer?

edit: link http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...2/china.retail

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Made in China?

then why dye hair blond?
then why make eyes big and wide?
then why stuff **** to make look bigger?

Not that proud to be made in China?

Might as well go for a real white thing instead of this half-fake whatever.

Why do white women go to the tanning bed?

Why do black women use hair relaxer?

facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by Crane's
That has nothing to do with it. All a copy cat has to do is order what they want to copy online and then just do it.

Yes, but in the case where the Chinese company is doing OEM for the brand it makes it that much easier. The western brand gives access to materials and manufacturing knowledge.

K

BareSolid

Reaction score
The reason I don't buy Chinese is because I prefer my stuff to be made by Europeans, not because I don't like China. The Chinese people get the government they deserve, if they didn't like it they would rise up against it. America props as many corrupt Kings and puppet Presidents in the East as can be and I don't generally withhold trade from them.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
The reason I don't buy Chinese is because I prefer my stuff to be made by Europeans, not because I don't like China. The Chinese people get the government they deserve, if they didn't like it they would rise up against it. America props as many corrupt Kings and puppet Presidents in the East as can be and I don't generally withhold trade from them.
facepalm.gif
I guess they never did rebuild the schools in Coventry ever since it was bombed out by the Luftwaffe.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Don't care. Almost a decade ago, back when the Chinese made far fewer luxury goods than they do today, I looked into some Chinese double basses in the $4000-7000 range (cheap for something that's not plywood). I ended up buying an ugly East German one, but I came away with a lot of respect for the "better" Chinese-made goods.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
facepalm.gif

You should see some of the other crap he posts.

K

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to defend anyone. It can be difficult to boil things down to the notion that China makes crap because there is just so much technological transfers these days.

Some of the products made in China are done using European/ Western techniques under supervision from western expats. Wheareas some of the native European products are made by lesser skilled migrant workers who are paid very little just for companies to stick a made in XXX (insert European country of choice) as a kind of prized emblem.

What people are forgetting in the midst of all the hangup over quality is that countries that can manufacture for less lowers cost (hopefully) and makes products more affordable to lower income families. It's good that there are many products out there made in various countries at various price points. Consumer are spoilt for choices and products can be purchased to improve people's overall standard of living without being restricted to certain income groups. If one cannot afford a refrigerator made in USA, he/ she can still seek out cheaper alternatives made in other countries rather than having to go to the supermarket daily. I for one, am thankful to find that choice as a consumer.

In fact, when I did my factory visits in China, some of the Chinese managers and owners were lamenting how the big western companies are pressuring or even explicitly asking them to cut corners just to lower cost. Then when things go awry, they blame it on to Chinese saying they are churning out ****** products. Increasingly, I've seen more and more Chinese firms turn down offers to manufacture for big MNCs because they want to get rid of the stigma that they are producing junk. If you specify a low cost per unit budget in the first place, logically you get what you pay for. If like Tom was saying, that they could sell Tommy Bahama shirts for $10, their cost to manufacture is alot lesser, try taking that kind of budget to a quality Italian manufacturer and see what kind of response you will get, they will probably cut ********* off and make you swallow it. There is no talk about quality if you are unwilling to pay for it, this applies anywhere in the world. The problem with the Chinese manufacturers was that they have in the past been too eager to say yes to anything that minutely constitutes a business opportunity to them because of a myopic management style of looking only in the present. This seems to be changing and maybe that's for the better.

Where quality in clothing is concerned, nothing can beat centuries of being on the learning curve, passionate artisans and pride in one's heritage and product. These are all qualities lacking in developing nation, so Europe remains the obvious choice when it comes to being the best in quality. Having the above 3 factors is also the reason why the Japanese are not far behind Europeans.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eazy e lover