• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you object to products from high-end clothing brands that are Made in China?

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
My china was made in England. I am not sure how I should feel about this.

My China was made in "Occupied Japan".
bigstar[1].gif

Eta: page 11 ownage & "Me so Horny"...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some time ago -- on another men's style forum -- I wrote a similar post to that of the OP. My assumption at the time was ... the RLPL sweater I purchased should have been significantly lower in price given the difference between Italy and China when it comes to the cost of labor.

These days ... if the item meets or exceeds the quality I expect ... and the price is right ... it's no longer an issue for me.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Well, I wore the RLPL Made in China $995 MSRP cashmere sweater for the first time today.

Then I noticed two things: it was fuzzy as heck all over.

And even worse, it shed like crazy all over my pants, overcoat, and cotton shirt I had on under it.

In other words, I'm having the exact same issues as outlined in this thread:http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=153191

A lot of you have said that Made in China is not a factor here...so then, does RLPL cashmere just suck, or what?
eh.gif

N.N.O.P

Reaction score
the problem as i see it is the blatant profiteering by the big labels and exploitation. same thing goes with your trainers.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
Well, I wore the RLPL Made in China $995 MSRP cashmere sweater for the first time today.

Then I noticed two things: it was fuzzy as heck all over.

And even worse, it shed like crazy all over my pants, overcoat, and cotton shirt I had on under it.

In other words, I'm having the exact same issues as outlined in this thread:http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=153191

A lot of you have said that Made in China is not a factor here...so then, does RLPL cashmere just suck, or what?
eh.gif

In that high-end price range, stick with Loro Piana, Cucinelli and other quality Italian labels. These companies are maintaining their traditional minimum quality specs for cashmere fiber (in other words, their sweaters won't shed).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I object for the reason that I think they treat workers poorly, and are far more concerned about quantity.

One of the reasons that I purchase luxury goods is that they're providing a person, skilled in their trade, with a reasonable hourly wage.

If that is provided somewhere in China then I would pay for it.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Some time ago -- on another men's style forum -- I wrote a similar post to that of the OP. My assumption at the time was ... the RLPL sweater I purchased should have been significantly lower in price given the difference between Italy and China when it comes to the cost of labor.

These days ... if the item meets or exceeds the quality I expect ... and the price is right ... it's no longer an issue for me.

Why the change in your thinking?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads