• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you object to products from high-end clothing brands that are Made in China?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
facepalm.gif

I guess they never did rebuild the schools in Coventry ever since it was bombed out by the Luftwaffe.

They rebuilt the schools and the cathedral and everything else. They even became a twin city with Dresden as a symbol of reconciliation after the War.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Is this the thread where I place a takeout order for Chinese food?

confused.gif

- B

I've waited so long for you to post in this threak, you owe me an apology.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
You should see some of the other crap he posts.

K

You could try by refuting any point I'd made there.

The people of any country are generally governed by whom they deserve, this is a maxim. If they wanted otherwise, they would combine and revolt. So the oppression to which they are subjected, they are responsible for it, just as we in Britain are responsible for the transfer of powers to Europe and the abolition of various freedoms and liberties in Britain, because we returned the governments that allowed such things to happen, and did not revolt against them when these things did happen.

As for the United States, we are all very aware of its 'allies' in the darkest parts of the world. It is forever supporting the regime in Saudi Arabia, with financee in exchange for fossil fuels. It is also in such support of Pakistan and Israel who are both in illegal possession of nuclear weapons. It also has a friend in the deranged Libyan president who even gave a fake renunciation of terror for them. They have also financed a militant republican anti-British terrorist force to Britain's west which has cost hundreds of British lives.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
You could try by refuting any point I'd made there.

The people of any country are generally governed by whom they deserve, this is a maxim. If they wanted otherwise, they would combine and revolt. So the oppression to which they are subjected, they are responsible for it, just as we in Britain are responsible for the transfer of powers to Europe and the abolition of various freedoms and liberties in Britain, because we returned the governments that allowed such things to happen, and did not revolt against them when these things did happen.

As for the United States, we are all very aware of its 'allies' in the darkest parts of the world. It is forever supporting the regime in Saudi Arabia, with financee in exchange for fossil fuels. It is also in such support of Pakistan and Israel who are both in illegal possession of nuclear weapons. It also has a friend in the deranged Libyan president who even gave a fake renunciation of terror for them. They have also financed a militant republican anti-British terrorist force to Britain's west which has cost hundreds of British lives.

I've seen others do so before, and you appear incapable of reasoning or rational discussion so I will save myself the effort.

K

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
The poll speaks for itself gentlemen
fistbump.gif

ilkandi

Reaction score
Lots of passion on both sides. Here are a few things the China-bashers may not be aware of:
1. The reason the "art" seems terrible is that when a company outsources, it goes for the cheapest labor pools it can find to justify it. There are great artists and craftsmen but the MNC's aren't willing to pay for them.
2. Asian art isn't Western art. You will find designs far more intricate than the popular Ed Hardy patterns (which he studied in Japan).
3. Due to education, higher cost of living, competition with higher-wage jobs etc, Westerners are unable and unwilling to work at wages competitive with the Far East labor pool.
4. There was an article (I think in Time or Fortune) which described villages in Italy where few spoke English or Italian, purely Mandarin. This is how they pass the "Made in Italy" label regulations. All your "handmade" stuff is made with Chinese hands!
5. All the top Korean and Chinese designers move to NYC and open their own shops because it has better networking and discovery opportunities, also richer clientele.

I mean, retailers aren't dumb. They know you buy "made in Italy" as part of the sizzle not the steak. It's all branding. Made in China entices the low end. If they want to go high end, they follow the branding regulations and sell it for 1000's more because YOU WILL BUY IT. Let's not forget there are plenty of cheap & shoddy Euro labels too!!!

ilkandi

Reaction score
Or I could just say that "Warren Buffett and Bill Gates proudly wear Chinese suits."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...fet/index.html

Dalian, China (CNN) -- Dayang Trands, a little-known Chinese company that began making clothing for peasants and now makes suits and separates for a slew of Western brands, is getting a lot of attention from one famous client.

Warren Buffett, better known for setting investment rather than fashion trends, cannot seem to stop talking about the company's in-house "Trands" label.

"I now have nine suits made in China. I threw out the rest of my suits," Buffett said in a video message for the company's 30th anniversary this year.

Dayang Trands is based in Dalian, China, a port city on the northeast coast known for manufacturing, petrochemicals and computer exports --- but not high fashion.

Buffett, ranked as the world's second-richest man by Forbes.com with a net worth of $37 billion, has not invested in Dayang Trands, but he cannot seem to contain his praise for their products.

"The suits we received we never had to alter a quarter of an inch," Buffett said in the video. "They fit perfectly. We get compliments on them. It's been a long time since I got compliments on how I looked."

It turns out Chinese President Hu Jintao wears Dayang Trands, too, and the company sells to clothiers such as Banana Republic, DKNY, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Macy's and Marks & Spencer.

China is better known for imitating luxury goods then selling them. However, Dayang Trands is an entirely home-grown Chinese luxury brand with original high quality products. The flagship store in Dalian could fit in well between Gucci and Prada.

The woman behind it all is Li Guilian, or "Madame Li," as she is called by her employees (and Buffett). She said she was just a farmer's daughter with a single sewing machine when she started making suits 30 years ago.

"At the beginning, we were a small countryside outfit," said Madame Li. "Our goal was to make sure poor peasants had enough clothes to wear. We made simple shirt sleeves, shoulder pads and work trousers, which people wore in the countryside while they worked. Little by little, we started sewing more difficult clothes."

Her company's launch coincided with China's long-isolated economy opening up to the world in the late 1970s. To advance her design and products, Madame Li led a small group of tailors to Japan, where they observed suit-making in a factory.

When the group returned to Dalian, they implemented what they learned and eventually started exporting to Japan. Now they make more than 15 million garments a year which they export around the world.

In a country where a large share of successful businesses are state-owned in some form, the charmed rise of a small, private company is unusual.

Perhaps one of the best decisions the company ever made was to track down Buffett and get his measurements. He happened to be in Dalian for the opening of a metals factory, one of the latest acquisitions of his investment company, Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

"I asked if I could make a couple of nice suits for him," said David Margalit, Dayang Trands' international marketing director. "We took our tailors in and measured him, and introduced him to Madame Li."

Six months later, Margalit received a letter from Buffett asking for six more suits.

Buffett invited Madame Li to the annual meeting of Berkshire Hathaway in Omaha, Nebraska, last May where he touted her suits and her success.

Buffett claims his business partners and Bill Gates now wear Trands too.

"I think maybe Bill Gates and I should start a men's clothing store and sell the suits made by Madame Li," he said in the video. "I think we would be great salesmen because we love them so much."

Buffett's endorsement has given the company a major boost, Madame Li said.

"Warren Buffett chooses Trands suits like he chooses stocks," she said. "He knows we have a bright future ahead."

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Since when do polls actually truly mean anything?

They just mean the majority of the participants of this thread object to chinese made products that's all. The poll reveals more than posters are willing to admit, nothing wrong with that.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
bastards probably got what they deserve, eh?
past.jpg
Grave%20site.jpg

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
They just mean the majority of the participants of this thread object to chinese made products that's all. The poll reveals more than posters are willing to admit, nothing wrong with that.

Which, in the end, means absolutely nothing. We've already established in this, and several other recent threads, how many ignorant sods frequent this place.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
You are absolutely clueless about what is going on in China. I've been involved in doing business with China on and off for nearly two decades as a manufacturer and import/export. For the last 2 years I've been in contact with Chinese businesses on a nearly daily basis.

I have watched significant changes in the manufacturing environment, socio economic aspect and in government policy during that time. China is evolving and will most likely be the number one super power in the world. They certainly aren't an ass backward 3rd world nation either.

I think this is the root cause for all the hate China garbage. Get used to it and get over it.

a few decades ago, wasn't there a giant backlash against **** Japanese products? Like Japan, I don't doubt China will catch up and match (in many cases which they have already done) the manufacturing standards of other developed markets. Aren't PS3s and most flat panel televisions made in China? But like I said before, though, when it comes to clothes I simply will not spend $300 for a theory sweater when I know the company is banking on its branding to make that sell. Now, if it's an especially nice sweater and it's on sale for $80 maybe i'd buy it. But I guess that could be a different discussiong (as I never buy anything at retail prices).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Which, in the end, means absolutely nothing. We've already established in this, and several other recent threads, how many ignorant sods frequent this place.

This is a message board in case you hadn't noticed, time to put the keyboard down and step away from the computer or perhaps take your blood pressure medicine since this is just many of the topics that will be rehashed.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
a few decades ago, wasn't there a giant backlash against **** Japanese products?

Young Doc: No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".
Marty McFly: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.
Young Doc: Unbelievable.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
a few decades ago, wasn't there a giant backlash against **** Japanese products? Like Japan, I don't doubt China will catch up and match (in many cases which they have already done) the manufacturing standards of other developed markets. Aren't PS3s and most flat panel televisions made in China? But like I said before, though, when it comes to clothes I simply will not spend $300 for a theory sweater when I know the company is banking on its branding to make that sell. Now, if it's an especially nice sweater and it's on sale for $80 maybe i'd buy it. But I guess that could be a different discussiong (as I never buy anything at retail prices).

I think this is right - but as the quality and standards improve, surely so will the price of production, as was the case of Japan. This is already starting to happen in PRC, and as it continues China will go the way of Japan and Europe in terms of the competitiveness of its textile manufacturing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads