• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Paul Smith Shoe Thread... all PS shoe questions here

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not find them extremely long at all but I often play around with how I lace them up because more often than not, PS laces are short. When the shoe laces are too short, i usually go for the bow tie lacing.
BowTieLacing6.gif

To figure out or experiment which shoe lace style uses up the laces more, refer here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I find the Starrs a bit more pointy and long than the Millers. The soles on the Millers are also trimmed right to the edge of the uppers for a cleaner look while the Starrs mid-sole kind of somewhat protrudes out.

You can see the difference with the soles on the Millers (left) goes in under the uppers from the top view while the Starrs (right) the sole can be seen protruding.
saxc-d001-wsh-n3-detailb-26957.jpg
s8xc-a072-wsh-s25-detailc-17936.jpg

As for a light brogue, I belive Zippy has the Millers in tan so they have made it before, PS also made some in snuff suede color I believe. Here's a good alternative in the meantime, Millers in dipdye tan.
saxc-d973-wsh-t2-28296.jpg

Thanks for all that info....so if I'm looking at some chinos with approximately a 16-16.25" hem.....would Millers be better? or would Starrs still look allright?

ahh, those tans look really good too. I think those would POP paired with some navy chinos...I don't know if that would be TOO out there though....I wonder if I should just drop khaki chinos off the list and get two pairs that can flow with those tans...AHHH all these choices.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the Millers were made to be worn more casually than the Starrs since it isn't as long and pointy, plus I believe that is even stated on the PS website. I think the tans would work with both navy or khaki colored chinos, I think it would give it more spring/summer look with khakis while giving the fall/winter a good contrast with some navy chinos. Check out PG's casual clothes, he often matches snuff suede (similar to tan suede) shoes/chukka with navy trousers or dark denims and they work real well together. He also pulls it off with khakis at times and still looks good.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Millers were made to be worn more casually than the Starrs since it isn't as long and pointy, plus I believe that is even stated on the PS website. I think the tans would work with both navy or khaki colored chinos, I think it would give it more spring/summer look with khakis while giving the fall/winter a good contrast with some navy chinos. Check out PG's casual clothes, he often matches snuff suede (similar to tan suede) shoes/chukka with navy trousers or dark denims and they work real well together. He also pulls it off with khakis at times and still looks good.

I live in South Florida too...I'm sort of always in a spring/summer type approach...when some of you guys go to 'fall/winter' colors...it just doesn't fit how I feel in Tampa. Haha.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Millers are blake stitched, Starrs are blake rapid.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Ok...I'm need some light brown or tan wingtips. I want some broguing on there too. I like the Miller brogues but it seems they only come in dark brown. Any suggestions guys? I see what you guys are saying comparing AE and PS, PS looks way sleeker and I plan on wearing these out and about with chinos, not a business conservative setting.
Both the Miller and the Starrs come in a light (tan) suede with distressing. Depending on your size, I could proxy some for you
shog[1].gif
if you're a size 8, 9, 9.5, or 10 UK for $240+shipping
spam[1].gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Both the Miller and the Starrs come in a light (tan) suede with distressing. Depending on your size, I could proxy some for you
shog[1].gif
if you're a size 8, 9, 9.5, or 10 UK for $240+shipping
spam[1].gif

Haha I'm a 7UK...I gotta small foot, I know....

I'm wanting strictly leather too.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do not find them extremely long at all but I often play around with how I lace them up because more often than not, PS laces are short. When the shoe laces are too short, i usually go for the bow tie lacing.
BowTieLacing6.gif
To figure out or experiment which shoe lace style uses up the laces more, refer here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I like the look of the laces how PS does it, too bad it's completely nonfunctional.
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Haha I'm a 7UK...I gotta small foot, I know.... I'm wanting strictly leather too.
imo that's being very constrictive. The suede washes are quite a bit more interesting than most of the leather offerings

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe GS uses the shoe display lace style at times, it takes more time to adjust but it looks good. Here's a simplified version:
StraightBarLacing6.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A pictorial comparison of Paul Smith wingtips (and some non PS wingtips too).

Left, top to bottom: tan dip dye Miller, grey bleach dye Assams, cordovan Starrs, brown (sigaro?) dip dye Nash.
Right, top to bottom: moss man green Sutor Mantellassis, oakwood suede dip dye Millers (there's a diffent tan suede non dip dype that PS uses a lot), Leather Soul Alden Longwings, Polo Tan (I think) Ralph Lauren Albins.

Assams and Millers fit and look very similar mainly differing in the toe punch pattern.
The Nash are the most blobby of the PS wingtips that I have. (There's also the Cutter and Frost).

wingtips1.jpg

wingtips2.jpg

wingtips3.jpg

wingtips4.jpg

wingtips5.jpg

The Aldens on the Barrie last are probably the benchmark for blobby.
The RL Albins are a nice sleek wing tip which can sometimes be found for a good price. I've seen them as low as $150 on the RL site and Amazon although that was a while ago.
The suede Miller is the one that KitAkira is offering to proxy.
wingtips6.jpg

wingtips7.jpg

wingtips8.jpg

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Ricards a pretty solid boot? REALLY thinking about pulling the trigger on some instead of the Wings + Horns.

My only concern though is I'll be pairing these with a pair of Flathead F380's double cuffed. The hem is about 8.5 inches.....Is this boot to narrow for these jeans? Thanks.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have the Ricards and like them a lot. What price are you seeing on the Ricards? They can routinely be had on sale for much less than retail, if you wait. Harder to find W&H service boots on sale I believe.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Hey, probably not the right place to ask but...

when are the usual times the paul smith website has sales? I'm aware they have some at the end of the season and most things go about 50% off, no? Are there any during thanksgiving, christmas, etc?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
^I have the Ricards and like them a lot. What price are you seeing on the Ricards? They can routinely be had on sale for much less than retail, if you wait. Harder to find W&H service boots on sale I believe.

285euro shipped from UK, brand new. Which according to my calculation is 425 or so.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$425 isn't too bad but will you have to pay duties? If you wait until sale season rolls around you can pick them up for $350 or so at Nordstrom. They show up on B&S for around $250, but that is really hit or miss.

If you want them now you are paying $425.

They are good boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads