Official Paul Smith Shoe Thread... all PS shoe questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RFX45, Feb 20, 2008.

1. dmash

dmash Senior member

How's the overall quality on Miller brogues and Ricard black boots?

Can I get better quality brogue shoes for that price? I was also looking at some AE wingtips for $300.

Also, if I measure about 8 1/4 on of those scales..what would I be in PS, UK7?

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

E and PS have very different looks. AE is very conservative business and PS is sleek and fashion-y. The quality of PS is pretty high, maybe not as high as Alden or one of the English shoemakers but compared to most models I prefer the PS designs

3. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Got some really nice PS Starrs in burgundy suede for sale. Check out the sig.

4. DLester

DLester Senior member

AE and PS have very different looks. AE is very conservative business and PS is sleek and fashion-y. The quality of PS is pretty high, maybe not as high as Alden or one of the English shoemakers but compared to most models I prefer the PS designs

Yes, PS gets me with their design. The shoes are quality as well. I don't care if there is a higher quality shoe out there with stodgy design.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Agreed, PS just has a certain appeal and their design and shape/silhouette just separates it from the other brands out there.

I just pulled the trigger on these.
    [​IMG]

I have been lusting for AE Chukkas in snuff suede and since I am a fan of the Indy design, I figured this is a good alternative made by PS. $225 from Yoox, which isn't bad at all.

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

look good. I have found a few things on Yoox lately that I like. Shocked me.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yoox does have a good selection of PS shoes. I could easily buy 4-5 pairs there if I didn't have control. I really like the wingtip chelsea boots there.

8. DTJ

DTJ Well-Known Member

Thought I'd post these here before the bay. I have used them prob like 8 times, the bottom looks worse than it really is (heel pic should suffice for visualizing approx wear). Asking 200.00 SHIPPED [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dmash

dmash Senior member

Ok...I'm need some light brown or tan wingtips. I want some broguing on there too. I like the Miller brogues but it seems they only come in dark brown. Any suggestions guys? I see what you guys are saying comparing AE and PS, PS looks way sleeker and I plan on wearing these out and about with chinos, not a business conservative setting.

10. breakz

breakz Senior member

Ok...I'm need some light brown or tan wingtips. I want some broguing on there too. I like the Miller brogues but it seems they only come in dark brown. Any suggestions guys? I see what you guys are saying comparing AE and PS, PS looks way sleeker and I plan on wearing these out and about with chinos, not a business conservative setting.
    Light brown? PS will probably put out some light brown Millers/Starrs in the spring. Looking to get a suede pair myself (maybe Cages or something instead...maybe), and spring is the time for funky-colored PS. Not surprised you found this thread btw...I had a similar problem (wanted shoes that looked good for work but not too stodgy for going out) and arrived at PS as the answer.

11. dmash

dmash Senior member

Light brown? PS will probably put out some light brown Millers/Starrs in the spring. Looking to get a suede pair myself (maybe Cages or something instead...maybe), and spring is the time for funky-colored PS.

Not surprised you found this thread btw...I had a similar problem (wanted shoes that looked good for work but not too stodgy for going out) and arrived at PS as the answer.

Well I'm going to be wearing them strictly with khaki and navy chinos....would a dark brown like below be a bad call? Also, what's the difference between Millers and Starrs?

http://www.bluebee.com/product_displ...9&pn=1&st=182#

Lastly, why the hell does the PS US online shop half like half of what the main online shop has? WTF.

12. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

millers are a little wider; starrs are more narrow/sleeker and look better with smaller leg openings. note that the sigaro is different from the straight up PS brown, but those bluebee pics are not really capturing it. sigaro or brown sounds like a good choice.
    Well I'm going to be wearing them strictly with khaki and navy chinos....would a dark brown like below be a bad call? Also, what's the difference between Millers and Starrs? http://www.bluebee.com/product_displ...9&pn=1&st=182# Lastly, why the hell does the PS US online shop half like half of what the main online shop has? WTF.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I find the Starrs a bit more pointy and long than the Millers. The soles on the Millers are also trimmed right to the edge of the uppers for a cleaner look while the Starrs mid-sole kind of somewhat protrudes out. You can see the difference with the soles on the Millers (left) goes in under the uppers from the top view while the Starrs (right) the sole can be seen protruding. [​IMG][​IMG] As for a light brogue, I belive Zippy has the Millers in tan so they have made it before, PS also made some in snuff suede color I believe. Here's a good alternative in the meantime, Millers in dipdye tan. [​IMG]

14. Jonah

Jonah Senior member

RFX I have seen a pic of you wearing a black granada on niketalk sometime back. I bought one recently and have found that the laces are stupidly long. Did you have similar problems and how did you deal with them? Cheers.