• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL-72.jpg

Ralph Lauren s/s '72.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i see all the double breasted are 6 buttons in front.

i dont see any 4 button in front (dont know what it is called) but i got a rlpl one that is only 4 button. is that still in fashion?
and if it is,
is it more formal or less formal than the 6 button version?

like this one borrowed from dark oak:

IMG_1822.jpg

this is what you call a 4 x 2. correct?

can someone go over the main kinds of DBs ? how do you determine the number? Y on Z where Y is number of front buttons and Z is the number of buttonholes?
thanksl

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
^anyone can answer the above question?

Manton?

thanks!

Conventionally, the first number is the total number of buttons, either working or show. The second number is the button or row counting up from the bottom that is primarily buttoned.

E.g., a 6x2 has six buttons in the front, and the second button/row from the bottom is buttoned to close the jacket (a matching button on the other side, but inside the jacket, anchors the other side.)

A 4x1 has four buttons in the front, and the first button/row from the bottom is buttoned.

A 6x3 has six buttons on the frist, and the third button/row from the bottom is buttoned.

And so on.

- B

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would replace the buttons to make it 6 button. Although the Purple Label you have is very very nice, it will certainly improve the longevity of the suit.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
thanks vox.
so is the 4x2 (shown above) a classic as well on par with the elegance of a 6x2?

Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Personally, I would replace the buttons to make it 6 button. Although the Purple Label you have is very very nice, it will certainly improve the longevity of the suit.

thanks. how do they do this? is it easily done at the tailors, assuming i can get a set of same buttons.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks. how do they do this? is it easily done at the tailors, assuming i can get a set of same buttons.
Easily done at a good tailors, yes. What will also benefit you, is you'll be able to modify the button stance to better suit your physique, eg. make you look taller, slimmer, broader &c.

wmb

Reaction score
my preference -- must be 6 button and never have the bottom button buttoned. The president of Ferrari wears his this way(with the bottom button buttoned) and is the only one that can marginally pull it off...

I dont like sharp shoulders on a db either -- they need to be 'natural'... the dark one that L Agnelli is wearing looks great in my opinion...

wmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I love double breasted suits. I only have ten or so. I would make up almost all my suits double breasted but they aren't always practical for what I need them for.

I think that in England, although they aren't that popular right now, no one would bat an eye lash at them.

In NYC, they tend to represent independent, successful, powerful men, or men that just love clothes. Sometimes, they can be a distraction both for wearer and observer. I find personally, those distractions are not only in business settings.

Depending on the styling and cloths you pick, the double breasted can either be precious or very alpha dog.

It is interesting that the view has developed over time -- since the 80's maybe? that the DB is considered 'fashion forward'... the DB was the conservative, establishment buisness suit until JFK wore single breasted suits as POTUS... he killed the db and the fedora...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads