• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What steps would it take to convert this Double Breasted Jacket (quarter lined linen) to Single Breasted (2 button)?

xinsight

Reaction score
What steps would it take to convert this Double Breasted Jacket (quarter lined linen) to Single Breasted (2 button)?

I know someone brilliant who has an army of tailors; so keeping the personal aspect of pain aside.

What would it take in terms of things / actions/ steps? PS: We have several other SB "fitting jackets" to replicate sizing etc from.

PS: Having read a lot of comments on previous threads on pros, cons, hindrances, efforts, time, costs & leaving all that aside. What steps would it take?

Update: Hopefully I'll be able update the links as well as relevant comments after posting.

THUMBNAILS:
INSIDE Photo 03-08-23, 6 38 33 PM.jpg OUTSIDE Photo 03-08-23, 6 37 21 PM.jpg

INSIDE Photo 03-08-23, 6 38 33 PM.jpg

OUTSIDE Photo 03-08-23, 6 37 21 PM.jpg

Frankly, it's probably easiest to just call your tailor and ask.

I do know that it's quite common to have DB suits converted to SB suits - but of course the DB suits have a peaked lapel, which is then typically cut down to a notched lapel. I don't know if the fact that your coat already has a notch lapel would pose a problem.

since its a notch it is possible. you may end up with a high 3 button.
i have made several of these.

Speaking as someone who has been to Rzzo many times, I can tell you he'd likely refuse to do it. That kind of operation is probably close to impossible, considering all the lapel issues you'd have to contend with, and would require recutting the whole thing. Joe at Rizzo, though talented, is not much of an outside-of-the-box thinker, and can be quite set in his ways. I'm fairly certain his ways don't include debreasting an overcoat.

I called him and he asked me to bring it in for a look-see.I guess we shall see...

Last edited:

xinsight

Reaction score
As previously stated in the thrift thread,I found a vintage Vicuna coat in the local thrift.Great condition,and fits well in the shoulders.The bodice is quite generous and I can actually wrap the coat around beyond the buttonholes.Since it has notched lapels (and not peaked),I was wondering if a tailor might be able to "convert" it to a single breasted model? I would take this to the top local tailor,Rizzo,who makes a Helluva good bespoke suit.Anybody ever have this done?

Frankly, it's probably easiest to just call your tailor and ask.

I do know that it's quite common to have DB suits converted to SB suits - but of course the DB suits have a peaked lapel, which is then typically cut down to a notched lapel. I don't know if the fact that your coat already has a notch lapel would pose a problem.

since its a notch it is possible. you may end up with a high 3 button.
i have made several of these.

Speaking as someone who has been to Rzzo many times, I can tell you he'd likely refuse to do it. That kind of operation is probably close to impossible, considering all the lapel issues you'd have to contend with, and would require recutting the whole thing. Joe at Rizzo, though talented, is not much of an outside-of-the-box thinker, and can be quite set in his ways. I'm fairly certain his ways don't include debreasting an overcoat.

I called him and he asked me to bring it in for a look-see.I guess we shall see...

Any thoughts @42 Dandy

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid in the fifties my Dad had it done. My Dad
was very well dressed in a very conservative, later trad/Ivy
style. The project was not successful and he never wore the
suit that I recall.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would probably take more tailoring time to fix that jacket than it would to make a new one. And of course, time = money. And those DB buttons will most likely leave a lasting impression on the fabric.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Use these before pictures and please post “after” pics.

Jacket is very poor/entry level construction.
Odd styling and unusual that there is no breast pocket.

Will be surprises along the way of recutting this.

You have nothing to lose; have fun and do it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads