• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When would you wear a double-breasted navy sport jacket?

rjc149

Reaction score
?? so if he shaved his moustache he'd stand out in that outfit?

If I saw that outfit I'd say to myself, "oh interesting look" and move on with my day regardless of his facial hair or personality. If I never saw looks/outfits that made me pause for a second to take it in, my life would be just a little less interesting.
No, I'm saying his interesting mustache is congruent with his interesting attire, and likely, his interesting personality. That's all.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I thought of this thread the other night when I attended Hamilton with my wife and thought I'd share my experience.

We rarely go out (especially the last two years) and the theater is a special occasion so we decided to dress nicely (although I wear what I wore to work frequently, so it was not that out of the ordinary for me). She wore a black full length dress that I and our kids had bought her for Christmas and since it's summertime in New Orleans I was tempted to wear the new wool/linen grey glen check suit I received from Spier. She was concerned it might not match her black dress appropriately since it's on the lighter side of medium grey, so I asked my son (my fashion consultant) if I should wear it or my blue pinstripe DB from Brooks Brothers (which, although fully lined, is in a high twist fabric from Drago that is fairly breathable in the southern heat). He didn't hesitate and picked the DB.

So we get to the theater and the guard at the door remarks that I'm the snazziest dressed gentleman in attendance tonight, the person taking our tickets asks my wife if she dressed me to have me looking so well put together, and then after we sit down, the gentleman who arrives and sits next to my wife tells me "that's a nice suit!" Then on the way out to our car after the show one or two other people commented on how nice it looked. I felt bad for my wife that everyone was paying attention to my outfit, because she looked rather stunning herself!

Anyway, it made me think of this thread and I wanted to share what I felt was a very positive experience wearing something that some people seem afraid to wear for fear of sticking out or being too "whatever." And I was in a pinstripe suit, vs a fairly pedestrian blue blazer. Speaking of the navy double breasted blazer, I just got one in hopsack and love it. It's a 4x2 with patch pockets, so it feels right at home with a polo or short sleeve button down over summery trousers. I might even get crazy and wear it with a t-shirt. In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say I feel like it's easier to "dress down" (in a manner that still looks stylish) the double breasted blazer vs a single breasted navy blazer, which comes off as too business casual/country club to me when dressed down.

That said, my 2 cents are to wear what you like and not overthink it.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I have noticed people wearing dressed-down double breasted blazers recently in a way that just looks better as a casual outfit than many single breasted blazers would. I think it's because the SB is just so reminiscent of the business suit jacket that has just always been the default for business, so the SB often inherently looks "business" to me. When I worked in the city no one I knew wore a DB for business. Where you did tend to see them was leisurely places - people out for dinner at nice restaurants, the races, weddings, theatres and galleries, for example.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So OP, did you ever get around to wearing double breasted jackets or suits?

I wear double breasted jackets all the time, to work and casually. But perhaps I have the personality pull it off, only ever attracting compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads