• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BlazerSuit™ ... Part Deux!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Shouldn't a spalla camicia not puff, even when new, because of the way the sleeve allowance is forced into the sleeve head?

Apparently, a lot of little factors can affect how a spalla camicia shoulder looks. Some are puffier than others.

Manton, have you ever considered a slightly lower gorge and slightly wider lapels?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Apparently, a lot of little factors can affect how a spalla camicia shoulder looks. Some are puffier than others.

Manton, have you ever considered a slightly lower gorge and slightly wider lapels?

I LOLed.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bravo Manton. I look forward to Part Trois. (Trois?
eh.gif
What are the French origins of the BlazerSuitâ„¢?)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I prefer the higher gorge.

As to the lapels, I prefer lapels wider than you see on this coat, and the tailor generally makes them wider for me, but this time he just ... didn't. By the time I noticed, it was too late. I wasn't going to ask him to remake the fronts over a fraction of an inch. All things considered, I would like the lapels to be wider, but as it is, I will consider this coat an homage to Doc Holliday.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I prefer the higher gorge.

As to the lapels, I prefer lapels wider than you see on this coat, and the tailor generally makes them wider for me, but this time he just ... didn't. By the time I noticed, it was too late. I wasn't going to ask him to remake the fronts over a fraction of an inch. All things considered, I would like the lapels to be wider, but as it is, I will consider this coat an homage to Doc Holliday.

I really don't think he keeps paper patterns. This has happened to me, too. Inconsistency is maddening, and in my case, by the time I noticed, it was too late.

Cordovan

Reaction score
OK, first up, conservative business dress. White button cuff shirt, black shoes, black belt, blue tie:

What is "conservative business dress?"

Manton,

I agree with the comments thus far about the buttons. I don't recall if the goal of your trademarked BlazerSuit was specifically to have a patch pocket for the breast pocket. I think for greater utility, a welted pocket would be nice.

As an aside, I had no idea that a) you were your belts backwards, b) you had a pair of tailored trousers with reverse facing pleats, and that c) those were the most soporific ties you have - was actually kind of surprised to see those.

On the whole - nice suit.

Cordovan

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
. . . because?
Because of your transparent attempt to make Manton look more like you. EDIT: I just looked again, and I retract the snark. They could stand to be a little wider.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
I agree with the comments thus far about the buttons. I don't recall if the goal of your trademarked BlazerSuit was specifically to have a patch pocket for the breast pocket. I think for greater utility, a welted pocket would be nice.

As an aside, I had no idea that a) you were your belts backwards, b) you had a pair of tailored trousers with reverse facing pleats, and that c) those were the most soporific ties you have - was actually kind of surprised to see those.

1) As noted, I asked for brown buttons, but I got blue. I may yet change them. 2) The pics were self-taken in a mirror. 3) I much prefer the breast patch for a coat to be worn as an odd jacket. 4) My ties could put the girl from The Ring to sleep.
Because of your transparent attempt to make Manton look more like you.
This is impossible.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because of your transparent attempt to make Manton look more like you. EDIT: I just looked again, and I retract the snark. They could stand to be a little wider.
I think manton could use some custom glasses. Large, square, black.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) As noted, I asked for brown buttons, but I got blue. I may yet change them. 2) The pics were self-taken in a mirror. 3) I much prefer the breast patch for a coat to be worn as an odd jacket. 4) My ties could put the girl from The Ring to sleep.

This is impossible.

On the contrary, it is impossible for you to look less like him, so comparatively speaking it would be easy to make you look more like him.
teacha.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copying an old AA illustration (nothing more iGent than that!). Light gray flannels, white button down, orange knit tie:

imgt.jpg
[/url]

p1050665.jpg

Love this!

Was this out of the most recent Harrison's books? If so, I think I was looking at the same material just last week. Really fine color and hand. $$ but NICE.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
What is "conservative business dress?"

Conservative Business Dress.Â
00ae.png
Guaranteed to not get you noticed.â„¢

There's a very amusing thread by Manton outlining conservative business dress in all its glory somewhere if you dig around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads