• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for blue odd jacket and beige/gray trousers

CGLBBR

Reaction score
For a "casual classic" outfit more for private and occasionally also for professional use, I have a collection of various odd jackets (dark blue brighter than navy, 2 buttons, standard width notched lapels, patch pockets, wool, flannel or herringbone or plain weave) and trousers (beige or gray, both with and without pleats, wool or cotton or linen).

So far, I mostly wear them with brown suede plain toe derbys.

Which shoes would you recommend to add?
  • Dark brown calf half brogue cap toe derbys?
  • Dark brown calf full brogue wingtip derbys?
  • Rather something else?
I am not considering split toe derbys or loafers unless there are really convincing arguments.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Are you not a fan of oxfords, or do you think they're too formal for odd trousers and jacket?

CGLBBR

Reaction score
Are you not a fan of oxfords, or do you think they're too formal for odd trousers and jacket?
For the ones I have, I indeed think they are mostly too formal.

I actually have suede oxfords which I occasionally wear, but only with pleated trousers. I would not wear calf oxfords at all with my patch pocket jackets.

With my suits, I wear exclusively calf cap toe oxfords, so I am a fan, just for the right occasion.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Got it. In that case, I am partial to darker brown, burgundy, or black bluchers in calf - medallion toe or longwing brogue.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In shell cordovan is another not-so-formal "classic" option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads