• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen seems difficult to do as a casual odd jacket

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I have two linen sports coats, navy blue and light brown. I do this thing where I snap a picture of what I am wearing most days, and then save the ones I like into an album. I review the folder every now and then for inspiration and delete anything I don't still think looks good. And there are barely any of the linen jacket pics that have stood the test of time even though I wear them fairly frequently, particularly when travelling.

To be honest I'm close to giving up on them, and deciding that linen odd jackets are just a bit too much of an "old man" look (I'm 44). Particularly with a collared shirt. Before I do that though, interested to hear if anyone here has any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how I could be more creative with them?

This was an outfit I wore one day on a recent trip to Milan, I thought as it's a sartorial kind of place I would try and dress up a bit but stay fairly casual. I just felt stuffy and formal though compared to how other people looked, even though linen is supposed to be a very casual fabric.

PXL_20230616_203352952.jpg

Same jacket but with cotton trousers (as full linen seemed a bit much in the above outfit) and with a more casual shirt and shoes. Seems to tick all the boxes but still misses the mark, in my opinion.

PXL_20230524_134008869.jpg

My other linen jacket. Again, seems to tick the boxes - light-coloured shirt, contrasting trousers. But still not happy with the overall effect.

PXL_20230303_224004785.jpg

With jeans, for more casual ...

PXL_20220707_105559469.jpg

With a t-shirt. To be honest I prefer these super-casual looks to either of the collared-shirt/smart trousers outfits. Still don't quite feel right through.

PXL_20220415_163052777.jpg

So any tips on how to up my linen jacket game? Am I being too critical and some of these looks are actually ok? Any ideas or advice appreciated as always!

SteveMc

Reaction score
Couple of notes:
A linen jacket in and of itself isn't an "old man" look. It's the complete ensemble that makes your outfit bland: the shirt as you noted, but also the belt and the shoes. The belt in particular.

The other outfits are an improvements. I think the second from top is quite nice, but again could be much better with a nicer belt.

The jeans outfit isn't bad also, but you kind of worked against the casual vibe with those brown derbies. The gray sneakers would have worked much better.

So to lighten things up with these jackets, first and foremost, get a nice grain or crock embossed
3-3.5 cm belt. Berg and Berg has really nice ones.

Instead of BD shirts, consider knitted polo or a popover linen shirt.

For shoes, consider casual unlined penny loafers or even espadrilles.

Looks like your trousers could use a bit of hemming, though hard to tell from these images.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Couple of notes:
A linen jacket in and of itself isn't an "old man" look. It's the complete ensemble that makes your outfit bland: the shirt as you noted, but also the belt and the shoes. The belt in particular.

The other outfits are an improvements. I think the second from top is quite nice, but again could be much better with a nicer belt.

The jeans outfit isn't bad also, but you kind of worked against the casual vibe with those brown derbies. The gray sneakers would have worked much better.

So to lighten things up with these jackets, first and foremost, get a nice grain or crock embossed
3-3.5 cm belt. Berg and Berg has really nice ones.

Instead of BD shirts, consider knitted polo or a popover linen shirt.

For shoes, consider casual unlined penny loafers or even espadrilles.

Looks like your trousers could use a bit of hemming, though hard to tell from these images.
Thanks, that all sounds like good ideas.

amalolan

Reaction score
Similarly, though this isn't linen it's related to the odd-trouser issue. I just had a new suit made and was wondering if I could pull this jacket off with other trousers. The suit is below (summer-weight wool) along with the picture of just the fabric,
Untitled.png
IMG_1292.png

I tried it with white trousers and it didn't really work well. I have mixed opinions on this outfit too, as the fabric is relatively smooth and though there is some aesthetic texture, I'm afraid the smoothness, combined with the pockets, won't allow it to be paired easily with other trousers. The buttons on the jacket are grey-black MoP.

These are the trousers I'm wearing in the picture, excuse the bad lighting.

Last edited:

Leiker

Reaction score
I'd add that getting the sleeves shortened on the lighter color jacket will help the look; they seem to be too long/halfway covering your hands.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others have said. Having your sleeves and pants the right length will help a lot. The belt color and materials in conjunction with the rest of of the outfit helps. Keep in mind that footwear points to over all formality of an outfit. It should align with the jacket for the most part. By todays standards wearing a jacket already makes you “dressed up”

So use classical standards of casual when wearing a jacket like this. Also wearing a jacket more often will help you feel more comfortable in it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Next round-- try a teba jacket. Much more casual, and can still be worn with a collar and a tie.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes you are wearing with the faded jeans are not "derbies," they are captoe oxfords/balmorals. This strikes me as a grievous sartorial mismatch. The tailoring on your jackets looks subpar: In a couple of photos it looks as if the lapel notches are riding up on your trapezius muscles. Sorry if I'm coming across as a snot here. Nothing wrong with linen jackets--they are elegant summer classics--"cool" in both senses of the word. Most classic style is going to look somewhat "old-mannish," but now that I'm up in my ninth decade, I'm going to look old-mannish no matter what I wear!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads