• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must say, Cruiser is an unusual moniker choice for someone who has to constantly remind people that he is a successful father, local town constituent and hog-rider.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I must say, Cruiser is an unusual moniker choice for someone who has to constantly remind people that he is a successful father, local town constituent and hog-rider.

cruising3.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
cruising3.jpg

1004craig.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other than doing a search 10 minutes ago to see who this "Cruiser" character was, I haven't been on Andy in a year or two. Like a lot of others, I started on Andy back a few years ago and then found my way to SF, posting/viewing here more often because of the greater variety of members.

As for devolution, every forum of which I've been a member (since 2001 or so) has gone in this decline. There was a great Dior Homme MSn forum back in 2002-2003; now it's virtually gone, with only a few catty teenagers who keep asking "is this authentic?" and "what's the difference between 19 and 21 cm hem widths?" Likewise, Thefashionspot was great in 2002-2005 or so with hundreds of VERY knowledgeable members; now it's basically "model chat 101" with a bunch of posters who've never quite figured out how important periods, commas, and verbs are to sentences (instead thinking that smilies and lots of exclamation points will do the job). Same with basenotes forums; the discussions became both repetitive and overburdened by ultra PC moderating.

SF is one of the only forums that has stayed consistently interesting, but mostly I think it is because we "self-moderate." If a really dumb/overbearing poster suddenly bursts onto the scene, MANY members will step into keep things "normal." I don't know about AAAC, but at the other fora, a sense of overly-PC moderating started to kill the vibe. Here, we can call an idiot an idiot. Other places, you'd get "timed out" for telling the truth and saying that a member was dictating TOO MUCH with too little reason.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted or read on AAAC for a while, too, which is sad because it was my introduction to the wonderful world of Internet clothing fora (and I say that without a hint of irony). Many of the reasons others have already written are why I don't really go there anymore.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A related question: do you answer the same cross-posted question on other forums? The same way (copy-and-paste) or differently? I tend to answer only in one place depending on where I read it first.

--Andre

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
depends how the conversations go. If they head in different directions, then you end up in in different discussions.

I wouldnt bother giving my same answer to the original post in both threads though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Kind of stylish, but I'm afraid I don't know the film.

Sort of an anti-classic. Pacino stars as a cop who goes under cover to investigate murders in the Meatpacking District's gay underground. It was called ... Cruising.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

SF is one of the only forums that has stayed consistently interesting, but mostly I think it is because we "self-moderate." If a really dumb/overbearing poster suddenly bursts onto the scene, MANY members will step into keep things "normal." I don't know about AAAC, but at the other fora, a sense of overly-PC moderating started to kill the vibe. Here, we can call an idiot an idiot. Other places, you'd get "timed out" for telling the truth and saying that a member was dictating TOO MUCH with too little reason.

Things have always been kept rather polite at Andyland and it is clear that Cruiser has taken advantage of this, to set himself up as chief troll at Ask Cruiser About Jeans. Rather than risk being censured for raising their voices over him it looks like all the forum stalwarts have politely "left the room" in silent protest. It looks like Medwards is fighting a lonely rear guard action and trying to instigate some stimulating conversation, but it is rarely leading anywhere. He is even resorting to talking about tattoos for want of any other topic of conversation (at least they are bespoke, I guess
plain.gif
). I wonder how long it will be before he and the other moderators throw in the towel like Will and walk away.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Things have always been kept rather polite at Andyland and it is clear that Cruiser has taken advantage of this, to set himself up as chief troll at Ask Cruiser About Jeans. Rather than risk being censured for raising their voices over him it looks like all the forum stalwarts have politely "left the room" in silent protest. It looks like Medwards is fighting a lonely rear guard action and trying to instigate some stimulating conversation, but it is rarely leading anywhere. He is even resorting to talking about tattoos for want of any other topic of conversation (at least they are bespoke, I guess
plain.gif
). I wonder how long it will be before he and the other moderators throw in the towel like Will and walk away.

Well, I think the [selectively] enforced "politeness" at Andyland was one of the things that led me to "leave the room." The story goes that I had mentioned changing out of some rather grubby clothing I had been wearing (after doing housecleaning and yard work) and putting on my old blue blazer with an ascot and pocket square to go to the market. Cruiser took the occasion to make this slam at my wife:

"Of course I think any woman that marries a man who dons an ascot and pocket square to go to the market is most likely just a gold digging slut who thinks he has money, not much better than a 'hoe.' In fact, she's not as good because at least the hoe isn't pretending to be something she isn't. I'm not talking about anyone personally, just the typical tramp that would take up with a guy like that."

Since I had seen better men banned from Andyland for a hell of a lot less, I fully expected the axe to fall on Cruiser. Nothing happened. He wasn't banned. He was even suspended. After a few days, it became apparent to me that at least the foremost among the moderators there was taking an avuncular and downright sympathetic attitude toward Cruiser. Naturally, I had felt a temptation to lay into Cruiser, but I felt it would just degrade me to his level and risk getting myself banned. Therefore I quietly took my leave, six months ago to this very day.

As I have said elsewhere regarding forum moderation, I can live very happily with a "tight ship" if a firm but fair hand is at the helm. Arbitrary and capricious despotism, rank favoritism, flagrant political partisanship and outright bullying are not things I will long endure.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
May I ask what is the real difference between
Originally Posted by JLibourel
. . . and risk getting myself banned.
and
Therefore I quietly took my leave, six months ago to this very day.
The quote you attributed to Cruiser is worse than appalling.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
"Of course I think any woman that marries a man who dons an ascot and pocket square to go to the market is most likely just a gold digging slut who thinks he has money, not much better than a 'hoe.' In fact, she's not as good because at least the hoe isn't pretending to be something she isn't. I'm not talking about anyone personally, just the typical tramp that would take up with a guy like that."

One of my favorite cheap tricks, the transparently obvious passive-agressive blind attack. Favored by particularly cowardly trolls. Call them on it, and they say "Who, me? I had no one in mind. If anyone thinks I meant him, he must have reasons deep down which make him think so."

The big fat rabbit who is always late loves this trick above all.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhnguyen38