• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
...half of my posts there were wiped out at some point last year...
There was system problem that clobbered the counts and in spite of considerable effort by the technoids I do not believe it was all restored. It did not really effect me as I had not actually posted there yet -- I went almost five months before I made a post...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Maybe no one will tell them.
patch[1].gif

I imagine the moderators at AAAC are looking at this thread and discussing whether or not the sentiment expressed in this represents something that they should be concerned about or not and if it does, is there anything that can be done about it.

The fact that AAAC is less interesting to a group that used to find it interesting isn't necessarily a problem. A forum that shifts focus and membership can still be perfectly healthy. It doesn't have to stay the same.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Just for interest's sake I have cross posted a new thread here and at AAAC. Part of the reason for doing so was to see what the qualitative difference between the two parallel threads would be. Take a look and decide for yourself: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=81610 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=62637 If anything I gave the AAAC thread a running start. It started a few minutes before I cross posted on SF.
This should be interesting...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey

The fact that AAAC is less interesting to a group that used to find it interesting isn't necessarily a problem. A forum that shifts focus and membership can still be perfectly healthy. It doesn't have to stay the same.

Fair enough but there is evolution vs devolution.

Take a look now at how my parallel threads are doing:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=81610
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=62637

The SF thread has over twice the number of pages. The only really high post count members to have contributed to the AAAC thread are the moderators (AK, ME), WA, and Concordia. Medwards had to modify the title of the thread to save it from total cruiserification.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine the moderator at AAAC is looking at this thread and discussing whether or not the sentiment expressed in this represents something that he should be concerned about or not and if it does, is there anything that can be done about it.

I doubt it.

I agree with this.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fair enough but there is evolution vs devolution.

Take a look now at how my parallel threads are doing:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=81610
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=62637

The SF thread has over twice the number of pages. The only really high post count members to have contributed to the AAAC thread are the moderators (AK, ME), WA, and Concordia. Medwards had to modify the title of the thread to save it from total cruiserification.

What you call devolution may just mean that forum has moved on to an interest in other topics - say "Do I need to wear a tie if I am pairing a suitjacket with jeans?"

If people find that kind of forum interesting and useful to them, I have no complaint. To the contrary, I am happy to know that I have one less place on which to waste time. I fail to see why it matters if all the conversation a few of us like has shifted to one place instead of being split in two places.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you call devolution may just mean that forum has moved on to an interest in other topics - say "Do I need to wear a tie if I am pairing a suitjacket with jeans?"

Hence the phrase "Ask Cruiser About Clothes". Evolution or devolution?

If people find that kind of forum interesting and useful to them, I have no complaint. To the contrary, I am happy to know that I have one less place on which to waste time. I fail to see why it matters if all the conversation a few of us like has shifted to one place instead of being split in two places.

That is a fairly damning admission.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hence the phrase "Ask Cruiser About Clothes". Evolution or devolution?
While I am not a big fan of cultural relativism, I am happy to be non-judgmental about this. I couldn't care less what Cruiser thinks and a forum in which his opinion is valued as opposed to just tolerated is of no interest to me. But I do recognize that other people find his perspective useful. As long as I have someplace else to go, they can have him.
That is a fairly damning admission.
What do you mean?

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I considered that one but thought it too self-consciously witty. In fact, I think it is really sad and no laughing matter at all.
It is very sad. I believe the number of new posts over there is consistently down from the not too distant past.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You effectively called AAAC a waste of time. Your time, though it may be, and indeed what constitutes a "waste of time" is very much a relative judgement. Still, it is pretty damning coming from someone as knowledgeable as you are.

I was puzzled by your use of the term "admission" but I now understand you didn't mean it the way I took it.

And while you misunderstood what I meant by "waste my time" (the sentence was equivocal, I admit), you understood my overall point nonetheless. I have less and less reason to look in on AAAC, as the people who I find interesting and enjoy discussing clothing with are less often there. I think that is a self-reinforcing loop and one that may have moved past the point where it can be changed. If there were no SF, I would care. But since there is, I don't.

And thank you for the compliment. Given the source, it is especially appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads