• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
Can't fault that playlist for a start, top tunes! Spirit in the Sky is a suprise but then again it does have a bit of a Reggae-ish shuffle and Funky Nassau would be very late I suppose towards the end of the Skinhead era.

A bit 'obvious' I suppose but I'd add 'Tears of a Clown' a big UK hit in '70, 'Harlem Shuffle', 'Give me Just a Little More Time' and Doris Troy's 'Just One Look' as some of the more well known biggies off the top of my head.

Wasn't 'Sex Machine' big with Skins also?

"Spirit in the Sky" used to get the girls dancing, in a row, with a kind of off-beat, forward stamp.

"Sex Machine" - that was big with me, don't know about anyone else.
biggrin.gif

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
M-o-M, I know you mentioned that you were into all kinds of music(or most if anything). Did you like Rock'N'Roll or Rockabilly? How did the skinheads feel about those genres? Anyone else that's knowledgeable can give me an answer too(the more the better
smile.gif
).

It's unlikely that the original Skinheads would have really come across Rockabilly in the late 60's/early '70s because this was 10 years after the event - also I'm not sure how Rock n'Roll would have gone done generally but I can certainly say that my parents (original 60's Mods/Skins) were never been big fans of white Rock n'Roll - Elvis, JLL etc - which was more Ted territory.

I'm gonna add the Flirtations 'Nothing but a Heartache' to my list of Soul biggies.

EDIT: Of course nowadays there is generally little or no antipithy between Trad Skins and Rockabillys - at least here in the UK. Also I've read about how Roddy 'Radiation' Byers sometimes encountered difficulty being a Rockabilly in a Mod band (Jerry Dammers description) - the Specials. He'd come from the Rocker side of town (Coventry) where in the late 60's/early 70's they'd fought with the Skin side of town.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
Man-of-Mystery: how did you clip braces on your back back in the day? X or Y ? Or this wasn't important at all?

Btw does anybody know who's the Sally Brown in Laurel's song? Is it the girl from Snoopy comic strips?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
Man-of-Mystery: how did you clip braces on your back back in the day? X or Y ? Or this wasn't important at all?

X, but not too wide. The important thing is always making the strides hang properly - shift it around till you get that right.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides "Spirit In The Sky"Norman Greenbaum[/html],you also had-playing in the Clubs I went to(in 1969):-
Canned Heat "On The Road Again".
Steam "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye".
Elvis Presley "Suspicious Minds".
These also guaranteed Girls on the Dance Floor.
There was one that got everybody dancing:-
Sam The Sham and the Phariohs "Wooly Bully".The Lines would stretch right across the Dancfloor.Could trigger Aggro as well!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
X, but not too wide. The important thing is always making the strides hang properly - shift it around till you get that right.
And thin as well-not wide Braces.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
It's unlikely that the original Skinheads would have really come across Rockabilly in the late 60's/early '70s because this was 10 years after the event - also I'm not sure how Rock n'Roll would have gone done generally but I can certainly say that my parents (original 60's Mods/Skins) were never been big fans of white Rock n'Roll - Elvis, JLL etc - which was more Ted territory.

I'm gonna add the Flirtations 'Nothing but a Heartache' to my list of Soul biggies.

EDIT: Of course nowadays there is generally little or no antipithy between Trad Skins and Rockabillys - at least here in the UK. Also I've read about how Roddy 'Radiation' Byers sometimes encountered difficulty being a Rockabilly in a Mod band (Jerry Dammers description) - the Specials. He'd come from the Rocker side of town (Coventry) where in the late 60's/early 70's they'd fought with the Skin side of town.

The only time we came across Rock and Roll,was scrapping with the 2nd Generation of Teds-Brighton 1969.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Besides "Spirit In The Sky"Norman Greenbaum[/html],you also had-playing in the Clubs I went to(in 1969):-
Canned Heat "On The Road Again".
Steam "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye".
Elvis Presley "Suspicious Minds".
These also guaranteed Girls on the Dance Floor.
There was one that got everybody dancing:-
Sam The Sham and the Phariohs "Wooly Bully".The Lines would stretch right across the Dancfloor.Could trigger Aggro as well!

Begob, that's an eclectic club!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Begob, that's an eclectic club!
Yes it was.I have spoken to ex-Skin from other areas,and they said that Soul was still played to a certain extent(early Funk included),Reggae- but less and less Records as `69 went into `70.

italiaskin

Reaction score

Con Seanery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by italiaskin
hope this is not OT, but i wanted to know how did skinheads achieved the skinny jean look in the 80's, like in these pics: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OOIldYE46M...ching%2BIn.jpg http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/ZQwaEuBFCvE/0.jpg did they just alter their 501's or they started wearing stretch jeans?if you could tell me the name and brand of the trousers would be great cause i'm getting mad trying to figure it out.
ffffuuuu.gif

Hi italiaskin, I personally never got into the skin-tight thing. However, I did know/see some folks with that look back then. Basically people got shrink to fits and cut the bottom finish off raw, then under hem them up. For the turnup, same story but cut off raw with about an inch from where you want them to lay, then iron down the turnup .5", turnup again and by .5", sow off with grey thread as GetSmart has outlined somewhere else in these threads. For the peeps that could not be bothered with kicking it in a warm bath and strolling around quadrophenia style til they dried etc, pre-washed 501's tailered (taper and hem). - This is generally what I did when I had a pair of Levi's, but from about 81 - 91 I never wore jeans at all. It was stricktly flat-front pants, always tapered, always hemmed and pressed (with the standard "gonna wear these with boots" and "gonna wear these with shoes" pants).

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KD-fens
Here's a playlist that was posted on another boards skinhead thread. It's pretty good. Organ heavy "skinhead reggae"
http://soundcloud.com/tuntuner/sets/...ggae-session-1

I gave up buying Reggae,when "Monkey Spanner" came out.To me it had no connections to the Reggae I got(in the past).After that,I called Reggae "Fairground Music"-because with the Organ led Tunes,it reminded me of Funfairs.Plus they used to play a lot of it at the Funfairs.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KD-fens
Here's a playlist that was posted on another boards skinhead thread. It's pretty good. Organ heavy "skinhead reggae"
http://soundcloud.com/tuntuner/sets/...ggae-session-1

I think any Skinhead reggae playlist should include such tracks as:

Byron Lee - Birth Control
Upsetters - Return of Django
Upsetters - Clint Eastwood
Dave & Ansell Collins - Double Barrell
Pioneers - Long Shot Kick The Bucket
Desmond Dekker - Israelites
Harry J & the All Stars - Liquidator
Symarip - Skinhead Moon Stomp
Maytals - Monkey Man
Maytals - Pressure Drop

(just off the top of my head - fill in the rest, brownie)

Brownie's right about reggae going silly for a while. It lost direction until the 70s wave of Jah-oriented material and heavy dub came along.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobynBroadway