• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

agbassano

Reaction score
I have a TON of suits, blazers, pants and outerwear with varying degrees of alterations needed. Looks like I'll parse through the thread and take various pieces based on the strengths listed above for LNC and Wilfred. That being said, how about CHIPP and Ercole - pricing - as well as strengths and weknesses?

Many thanks in advance!
fistbump.gif

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Am I correct in assuming that Cardelino has been taken over by Edward Park (located at 186 5th Av at 23rd)?

No. cardelino is at Broadway in between 22nd and 23rd in next to Caffe[sic] Benvenuto in the Madison Green Building.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
No. cardelino is at Broadway in between 22nd and 23rd in next to Caffe[sic] Benvenuto in the Madison Green Building.

Many thanks zarathustra - very helpful.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra

I believe, however, that the father is now mostly working out of a store at 174 5th Avenue, 2nd floor (same building at CEGO).

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
I believe, however, that the father is now mostly working out of a store at 174 5th Avenue, 2nd floor (same building at CEGO).

That's good to know, as the consensus seems to be that he's the man.

NYClawyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agbassano
I have a TON of suits, blazers, pants and outerwear with varying degrees of alterations needed. Looks like I'll parse through the thread and take various pieces based on the strengths listed above for LNC and Wilfred. That being said, how about CHIPP and Ercole - pricing - as well as strengths and weknesses?

Many thanks in advance!
fistbump.gif

I just went to LNC for the first time recently and give him the thumbs up.

I had him alter a new suit. For the jacket -- shorten the sleeves and bring in the waist a good amount. For the pants -- finish the bottoms (no cuff) and bring in the waist about an inch.

Total was $85, he did a good job and was a nice guy.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Except for the flurry a month ago this thread has been pretty quiet for a long time. I would appreciate any updates as I have been mildly disappointed with Cardelino (nothing criminal or irreversible, more like too many trips to get it just right) and I have already burned through two other tailors.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agbassano

Many thanks in advance!
fistbump.gif

FWIW, some dude last week was blasting Ercole's work and tailoring pricing - but I haven't seen any other comments on Ercole's tailoring.

kinch

Reaction score
How much should I expect to pay to have a pair of trousers recut? This is a BB suit, so I won't be taking it to the $$$ ones like Raphael. After reading through this thread, I'm thinking Wilfred?

Batini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinch
How much should I expect to pay to have a pair of trousers recut? This is a BB suit, so I won't be taking it to the $$$ ones like Raphael. After reading through this thread, I'm thinking Wilfred?

Well, I just went to LNC in China Town, to let pants waist out and hemming cost me $25. Despite I was not satisfied with a length Mr. Chit fixed everything in 30 minutes for no additional charge. I asked about re cutting pants and suit, for pants the price is about 35-50 bucks and suit approximately $50-$70.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Chiu is very fast and if it's not to your satisfaction he will fix it quickly(if it's within reason), no questions asked. I had a very similar issue with my pant length and he offered to fix it on the spot. I was in no rush so I told him I would just picked it up with my next batch of alterations.

I recently dropped of 2 suits (jacket sleeves altered, waists suppressed, pants hemmed and 1 pair slimmed), a DB blazer (slightly adjust stance and change buttons to Smoke MOP which he has, slim and alter sleeve length, shorten jacket length a touch), and convert a point collar shirt to a button down collar. All for $185.

He has yet to let me down, however he will explain why some alteration requests will either be difficult or close to impossible (aka not worth it). He doesn't seem to like unpleating pants and playing around with a lapel roll.

When I pick up that bunch I'll be dropping off a suit to have the pants slimmed and hemmed and to take in the jacket chest and shorten the length a touch.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've now taken a SC back three times to Wilfred's to fix a small roll under the collar. Considering their prices I doubt I'll stick.

lefty

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I've now taken a SC back three times to Wilfred's to fix a small roll under the collar. Considering their prices I doubt I'll stick.

lefty

I have some rippling under the collar of a RL Sig Label Sportcoat. Who can I trust in NYC to make this alteration?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
WTF. That sucks.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Mr. Chiu is very fast and if it's not to your satisfaction he will fix it quickly(if it's within reason), no questions asked. I had a very similar issue with my pant length and he offered to fix it on the spot. I was in no rush so I told him I would just picked it up with my next batch of alterations.

I recently dropped of 2 suits (jacket sleeves altered, waists suppressed, pants hemmed and 1 pair slimmed), a DB blazer (slightly adjust stance and change buttons to Smoke MOP which he has, slim and alter sleeve length, shorten jacket length a touch), and convert a point collar shirt to a button down collar. All for $185.

He has yet to let me down, however he will explain why some alteration requests will either be difficult or close to impossible (aka not worth it). He doesn't seem to like unpleating pants and playing around with a lapel roll.

When I pick up that bunch I'll be dropping off a suit to have the pants slimmed and hemmed and to take in the jacket chest and shorten the length a touch.

Chiu is a good tailor, but that guy provides different service and different pricing for different clients, which is pure BS in my opinion - I've seen this at least 10 different times. (I guess he gives the asian customers better pricing?? As for inequity - I observed his stash of Smoke MOP buttons that W/A was having added to his DB navy blazer and I asked for the same for a blazer of mine 5 minutes later - and Mr. Chiu said he doesnt carry them - I was thinking - WTF, you just pulled out a plastic container with them, I saw your collection, but you're gonna tell me now you dont have them? I'm curious how that conversion goes with that shirt collar W/A - it's gonna be unique, as the spread is wide)

If he doesnt like an alteration, he wont do it, which is good on his end. However, some alterations that he states are impossible I've had done by Mario Bosco in Atlanta (who charges about two to four times more for the same job)

He does fix something if it's not right though, which is good.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member