• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I recently stopped by Wong's Custom Tailor downtown. They do all the work on the premises. His main thing seems to be packages, the cheapest starting at $850 for a suit and two shirts. He indicated that he sets both lapels and buttonholes by hand. When I asked him about canvassing, he questioned why someone would want that in the first place. He thinks there are mainly two reasons why you want to stay away from fully canvassed: (i) if not done properly, it may show, and (ii) dry cleaners may mess it up. I recently ‘moved up’ to Chan and ordered two suits from him, so still have to get my first canvassed suits, but can anyone comment on Mr. Wong’s reasoning?
Utter ignorance or bullshit.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lx.mtchll
I'm trying to find a good NYC tailor to reduce a Jil Sander suit from a 52 european down to a 46. I called Wilfred's and they said no problem. How realistically could this alteration be made without ruining the suit?

Thanks

Forget about it.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This reminds me of the douchebag salespeople at Lord Willy's telling me that plastic buttons are fine on a $200+ shirt because cleaners will mess them up anyway...
plain.gif

I got threw out of that store once. He'd just opened up and I was managing the Duncan Quinn stores. I went over to welcome him to the neighbourhood, take a look at the store and to say hello. He intantly was on edge. When I picked up a pair of boxers and said the button fastening was interesting he said I had to get out. I thought he was joking but he meant it.

I thought it was really rich since Lord Willies is a bit of an "aren't we eccentric and British" Duncan Quinn clone.

Is anybody else sick of eccentric branded, or rock n roll tailors?

lx.mtchll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Forget about it.
I've literally called every recommended NYC tailor and none have hesitated on saying yes. Could you please explain why this would not be possible? Thank you.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be done at a size down. After that your going to run into problems like the pockets being too big, the armhole too big (this can't really be fixed) pockets on trousers close together. I suppose it depends on how particular you are. Having said that it's going to be an expensive and extensive alteration. Your looking at sleeves, every side seam, narrowing the shoulders, taking in the underarm cut, shortening sleeve and jacket length? Waistband (moving loops), hips, slimming down the leg.

My company actually does alterations, but I wouldn't reccomend this because it's 3 sizes down.

negusnegas

Reaction score
I am definitely plus one on LNC. The guy is really good and were quality oriented. I second people saying that you will literally have to talk him into doing certain things, but when he does do it, it's great work.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by negusnegas
I am definitely plus one on LNC. The guy is really good and were quality oriented. I second people saying that you will literally have to talk him into doing certain things, but when he does do it, it's great work.

What's the turnaround time there? I have an interview on Thursday morning and need a pair of suit trousers hemmed, with a cuff, by Wed. evening.

Do you think LNC could accommodate me if I pop in early tomorrow morning? Or this afternoon, if they're open today?

Edit: Called and they seem to be able to do quick turnaround. I'll be giving them a try.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But you aren't a shirtmaker or shirt expert, so what could you know?

Actually, I am a shirt expert of the highest order. I used to be a shirtmaker too but now I focus on teaching the art and - well - being an expert.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, I am a shirt expert of the highest order. I used to be a shirtmaker too but now I focus on teaching the art and - well - being an expert.

I didn't know shirtmaking was part of of the course study in France to enter finance, but I'm not surprised. Did you intern with Kabbaz?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know shirtmaking was part of of the course study in France to enter finance, but I'm not surprised.
Pottery and shirtmaking are up there in the list of business school electives.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pottery and shirtmaking are up there in the list of business school electives.

So . . . alongside your internship with Kabbaz, you could have also studied cracked pots under Teplitz. Fascinating.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So . . . alongside your internship with Kabbaz, you could have also studied cracked pots under Teplitz. Fascinating.

I don't know this Teplitz fellow... is he from auto-admission?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know this Teplitz fellow... is he from auto-admission?

Isn't he a marketing guru?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taxgenius69, gdl203 and David Reeves: many thanks for your comforting responses. I have a follow-up question on canvassing though: how is it that tailors like Mr. Ned can offer full canvassing starting at $850 and Jantzen offers it at no extra charge?

"Jantzen makes very good, fully canvassed suits (you have to request canvassing, but it is no extra charge) and reasonable prices."

http://styleforum.pbworks.com/Jantzen

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you aren't a shirtmaker or shirt expert, so what could you know?

So if gdl starts selling underwear that'd make him an expert, no? Perhaps it is time gdl adds underwear to his B&S inventory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads