• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Using Technology

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
262
Reaction score
0
Ah, well it looks like that is the deep south of Brooklyn so further from me than LES/Chinatown places.
 

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,917
Reaction score
1,974
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
he charged me 11 to hem - and I've seen him charge others $6. whatever, he does a good job and i'll pay his markup. c'est la vie.

Last time I went in to get just hems and waist taken in on pants he charged me $11 for each procedure. It looks like I don't get the half Asian discount after all
 

kiLLscaLLion

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Has anyone been able to reach LNC Tailor recently? I have been unable to reach them by phone.
 

kinch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
Has anyone been able to reach LNC Tailor recently? I have been unable to reach them by phone.

I had him recut trousers about a month ago. Amazing work, especially for the price. But I was able to call him around that time, so idk what's going on now.
 

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,323
Reaction score
1,032
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Last time I went in to get just hems and waist taken in on pants he charged me $11 for each procedure. It looks like I don't get the half Asian discount after all

$11 to hem, or $11 for waist in and $11 for hem?
 

stant62

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
39
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
Has anyone been able to reach LNC Tailor recently? I have been unable to reach them by phone.

He's out for the long weekend. I think he'll be back tomorrow.
 

gam29

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Looks like there are lots of different tailors people recommend in NYC. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can do a good job of taking in pants? Specifically, I bought a very high end suit and need the waist/legs on the pants to be taken in (I'm an unusual size). Any recommendations?

I got a great recommendation for a cobbler here, so I figure I'll give this a shot.
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,205
Reaction score
457
I was told there is a decent tailor at 160 Bdwy (10th floor) but I don't know the name? Any info on this guy?
 

mic

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
367
Reaction score
4
I have a beautiful jacket with working buttonholes and sleeves that are 1.25" too long... The only tailor I've used in NYC is Nelson Tailor, aka Rivington Tailors in the LES near the Williamsburg Bridge.
I had them move in the shoulders/take in the waist/lengthen the sleeve of a Burberry jacket and it came out pretty good (I'm not a severe critic, however. It fits great which is what I value).

The jacket I want to alter is maybe 2-3 times as nice as the one they did for me, and I don't want to take any chances.
Is it a more delicate operation to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder?
Should I try someone else? Price is definitely a issue; I'd like to spend <$100.

Thanks,
mic
 

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,323
Reaction score
1,032
Originally Posted by mic
I have a beautiful jacket with working buttonholes and sleeves that are 1.25" too long... The only tailor I've used in NYC is Nelson Tailor, aka Rivington Tailors in the LES near the Williamsburg Bridge.
I had them move in the shoulders/take in the waist/lengthen the sleeve of a Burberry jacket and it came out pretty good (I'm not a severe critic, however. It fits great which is what I value).

The jacket I want to alter is maybe 2-3 times as nice as the one they did for me, and I don't want to take any chances.
Is it a more delicate operation to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder?
Should I try someone else? Price is definitely a issue; I'd like to spend <$100.

Thanks,
mic

this is an interesting dilemma in nyc - as many tailors will NOT shorten more than 1 inch from the shoulder). when you find out, let us know.

in atlanta, it's mario bosco, who can shorten 2 inches from the shoulder ($150 to shorten sleeves from the shoulder).
 

mic

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
367
Reaction score
4
Cripes, I was looking at the jacket and it's really more like 1.5" that needs to come off. They are really long. When I bought it at 85% discount I didn't realize what a big deal it would be.

The buttonholes start >1" from the cuff so I guess I can ask them to take 1" off at the shoulder and 0.5 at the cuff if need be.

So, shortening sleeves from the shoulder is a common procedure and if they dictate the length it's not any more likely to be a botch job than the shoulder narrowing job they already did for me? The fit of the jacket is absolutely exquisite and I don't want to mess it up.

Any other suggestions for NYC tailors, preferably in the LES or Williamsburg?

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
this is an interesting dilemma in nyc - as many tailors will NOT shorten more than 1 inch from the shoulder). when you find out, let us know.

in atlanta, it's mario bosco, who can shorten 2 inches from the shoulder ($150 to shorten sleeves from the shoulder).


Originally Posted by mic
I have a beautiful jacket with working buttonholes and sleeves that are 1.25" too long... The only tailor I've used in NYC is Nelson Tailor, aka Rivington Tailors in the LES near the Williamsburg Bridge.
I had them move in the shoulders/take in the waist/lengthen the sleeve of a Burberry jacket and it came out pretty good (I'm not a severe critic, however. It fits great which is what I value).

The jacket I want to alter is maybe 2-3 times as nice as the one they did for me, and I don't want to take any chances.
Is it a more delicate operation to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder?
Should I try someone else? Price is definitely a issue; I'd like to spend <$100.

Thanks,
mic
 

kinch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
I've been going to LNC for a while, but last time I asked if he could shorten the sleeve on a casual jacket http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1748. (Mine doesn't have the elbow patches). He said it couldn't be done, which I thought was odd.

Can anyone tell from the pics if it's possible? I imagine it's not too difficult a job and I should be able to find another guy in NYC to do it.
 

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,323
Reaction score
1,032
Originally Posted by kinch
I've been going to LNC for a while, but last time I asked if he could shorten the sleeve on a casual jacket http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1748. (Mine doesn't have the elbow patches). He said it couldn't be done, which I thought was odd.

Can anyone tell from the pics if it's possible? I imagine it's not too difficult a job and I should be able to find another guy in NYC to do it.


he told me the guy he has do the shortening of all of the sleeves recently retired and he no longer shorten sleeves anymore = which sounds strange
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 85 17.6%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 154 32.0%
  • 8”

    Votes: 140 29.0%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 54 11.2%
  • 9”

    Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 10”

    Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.9%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,607
Messages
9,313,649
Members
195,437
Latest member
khawichtuhari
Top