• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1kg LL Cashmere is a blazer fabric, not a coating fabric of course.

On a related note, what are good jacketing bunches for a three-ish season jacket?
I think I might move away from green tweed towards something like 350 to 400 ish grams jacketing, so like 13/14 ish oz?
Caccioppoli is my favorite single source of jacketing. Dedicated spring/summer and fall/winter books, get refreshed every year, and a great mix of solids and interesting patterns.

Harrison's Moonbeam is a close second but I don't know if it's undergoing an update or in the process of being cancelled as they aren't all listed on the webpage. It's soft to the touch but durable and also has a nice range of patterns and colors.

Fox Brothers have a few nice jacketing books, with Sports Jacketing and Somerset Jacketing probably being the closest to the weight range you're looking for (Fox Tweed may be too heavy.). I just commissioned something from the Sports Jacketing book. It seemed comparable to Moonbeam.

Anglo-Italian's Tessuti fabrics has some very nice jacketing fabrics in various weights. And they just came out with a Tessuti 2. I really like their glen plaids. They have a GREAT green one that I made up.

FWIW I usually do not like genuine tweeds or their faux tweed variants, they tend to be too heavy/bulky and make me feel like I'm wandering in from a duck hunt.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**I** would know... and the knowledge would gnaw at me.

My biggest issue with the blazer suit is it isn't an optimal suit or jacket. A navy suit with patch pockets just looks odd to me, even more odd than a navy sports coat with flapped or jetted pockets in smooth worsted wool. Basically I'd rather use an orphaned navy suit jacket as a blazer than have a blazer suit made.
Oh, of course I agree...but we could be credibly accused of being just a wee bit neurotic about clothing lol

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, of course I agree...but we could be credibly accused of being just a wee bit neurotic about clothing lol
Ha ha I agree completely. But I think the origin of the blazer suit was based on this neuroticism. Then again, so is my dislike of patch pockets on suits so I'm not casting stones.

wozniak

Reaction score
**I** would know... and the knowledge would gnaw at me.

My biggest issue with the blazer suit is it isn't an optimal suit or jacket. A navy suit with patch pockets just looks odd to me, even more odd than a navy sports coat with flapped or jetted pockets in smooth worsted wool. Basically I'd rather use an orphaned navy suit jacket as a blazer than have a blazer suit made.
I guess I understood that Flap was the in between choice - works either way. With jetted being formal, and patch very casual. Again I think I am trying to swim in the deep end with experts on this, not really 99% of public.

twuthetiger

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be dabbling into the realm of summer jacketing. The first one I was a smarter jacket, perhaps a dark navy hopsack/mesh/basketweave that's 8-10 oz. Ideally looser weave w/ more noticeable texture and no sheen. I did some digging and found Holland sherry Mesh & Hopsack Blazers bunch 3024011 & Drapers Montecarlo bunch. Anyone with any suggestions? Thanks!

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be dabbling into the realm of summer jacketing. The first one I was a smarter jacket, perhaps a dark navy hopsack/mesh/basketweave that's 8-10 oz. Ideally looser weave w/ more noticeable texture and no sheen. I did some digging and found Holland sherry Mesh & Hopsack Blazers bunch 3024011 & Drapers Montecarlo bunch. Anyone with any suggestions? Thanks!
Piacenza alpaca mesh.

CLH03

Reaction score
Hi all,

Montecarlo & Minnis mock Leno are a favorite of mine. Standeven has some mesh jacketing in their mohair bunch. Lots of good options out there

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Drapers gabardine? How does it drape/tailor? It’s lighter than the Minnis but I prefer the colours.

The idea is to have made a suit by a Milanese tailor.

IMG_2095.jpeg
IMG_2096.jpeg
IMG_2094.jpeg
IMG_2106.png
IMG_2107.png

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Drapers gabardine? How does it drape/tailor? It’s lighter than the Minnis but I prefer the colours.

The idea is to have made a suit by a Milanese tailor.

View attachment 2190147 View attachment 2190149 View attachment 2190151
IMO, colors matter a lot.

As a general rule, drapers does a really good job with their colors. Especially their blues.

Found these in my photos. Maybe worth considering. They’re from 2018, but h&s probably has similar fabrics today

IMG_2712.png IMG_2715.png IMG_2713.png

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this question in the on going bespoke thread. Perhaps it’s better here.

4 trousers: IMG_1267.jpeg
IMG_1268.png

But I could be convinced to swap out one of the drapers ascot 4ply for the fox air light gray melange.

1. Ascot taupe-gray
2. Ascot light gray
3. Ascot medium gray
4. Fox air beige

Any other suggestions?
IMG_2710.png IMG_1270.png IMG_1271.png IMG_2709.png

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these are all great choices.

Fox Air is 2-ply and 10 ounces; Draper’s 4-ply is 13 ounces. I think the Draper’s will hang and tailor better, and be crisper. Since this is for trousers and not a suit, I’d lean towards the Draper’s, but it depends on your climate.

I think your color choices (light and mid grey, taupe and tan) are the most useful for summer. I find them easier to wear than charcoal.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these are all great choices.

Fox Air is 2-ply and 10 ounces; Draper’s 4-ply is 13 ounces. I think the Draper’s will hang and tailor better, and be crisper. Since this is for trousers and not a suit, I’d lean towards the Draper’s, but it depends on your climate.

I think your color choices (light and mid grey, taupe and tan) are the most useful for summer. I find them easier to wear than charcoal.
Yes,

Florida, so my fear was that on the blazing hot days, ascot could get warm.

But to your point, that’s why I didn’t consider the drapers 2ply (I realize above the swatch books photographed are the 2ply, Not 4ply)

And I could get good mileage out of the ascots into winter (where, perhaps a lighter gray might look out of place).

How does standeven compare?

I could be convinced to swap the light gray ascot for melange light gray (I don’t have a photo of the ascot, but the fox air has nice visual interest vs. plain gray)
IMG_2709.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPX99