Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Woah. My wife was just saying today that it was a shame that Yohji did not make kids' clothing. I think you may have put me in some kind of trouble. lol

3. davidlee388

As in you have to buy less for yourself and be fair with your annual Yohji budget [​IMG]

4. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

But what about the grailzzzz!!!! :violin:

5. elephantstone

elephantstone Active Member

To be honest I don't see most Yohji customers being into that kind of branding thing.....And with such small and not easily recognized logo (also the prohibitive price), I don't see those not familiar with Yohji's aesthetic buy into the hype......Their money can be better spent on D&G or Armani etc...Maybe they are targeting those Y-3 customers?? Perhaps Kanye will get it when he's into Yohji...... But as others have said, if this indeed helps him financially then I'll be fine with it....

P.S. congratulations Ivwri, must be awesome to have a dad wearing Yohji all the time (in a sense the design is really timeless), all you need to do now is make her a Yohji convert from an early age[​IMG]

The fit is awesome btw. like you said, the back of the fit is ace, love how the jacket shirt and bag fit seamlessly altogether......Have always been a fan of Ute Ploier...I recall several years ago people were saying she's the female version of Damir Doma, too bad she has still yet to evolve from the Raf influence........So glad suspension point picks up her stuffs, there are just too few stockists and selections....

6. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Ivwri that fit is outstanding. Congratulations papa !
    Was curious about that Ute bag, I've been eyeing for a while ... it is so unstructured though I could never think to put papers or laptop in it. What do you carry to work, crackers and gym clothes ??!

7. cupper

cupper Senior member

Posted this the other day but there was some sort of error.

Lots of YYPH SS13 photos on firstview, FW2006 and FW 2007 are also available for non subscribers.

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks and thanks! I was also pretty intrigued by Ute's stuff. The lookbook photos I saw always pulled me in, but that Raf influence (didn't know that that was what was bugging me) always held me back. The bag was too much to resist though as I really like bags with this shape. I actually have the Raf moon bag as well that is similar in shape but without a zip or inner lining so this was like the perfect version of that for me. I think the point you are making about targeting Y-3 customers is a very valid one. G-Dragon of the K-pop group Big Bang was at Yohji's show and while he seems to be more interested in high fashion (and wearing the stuff) than the average celeb, I think Yohji is definitely gaining a little bit more of a profile. Also saw an interview with Lupe Fiasco (who again is not your average celeb in terms of interest in fashion) on COMPLEX and he mentioned Yohji as (or one of) his favorite designer(s).

:lol: Well, I haven't put a laptop in there yet, but I carry my iPad, file folders and small notebooks around in it with no problems at all. Have been going for meetings and such so haven't needed my laptop much this week. It IS pretty sturdy and has a nice inner lining so I don't see it having any trouble with a 13" macbook pro or equivalent.

9. dantebykiko

dantebykiko Senior member

thanks for the info. which reminded me of some photos i got on my laptop from yyph s/s 07. who else thinks that landscape runway photos are bloody awesome? maybe because we are so tired of the standard format and with the landscape you can "feel" the atmosphere more. also i'm always curious to see the facial reaction of the guests. i didn't put spoiler as they look better all together. hopefully it won't slow down your machine or phone..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I agree completely. More sites should put up landscape runway photos. Thanks for uploading these as well.

11. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

congratulations, ivwri!

12. asobu

asobu Senior member

Yea, man, big congrats!

And for anyone who might be interested, the full SS13 show in HD quality

13. davidlee388

Thanks for posting these pictures. The first set up on the top left ( Look 8 ) is on my " to get " list. SS07 was such am original, inspirational and coherent season, one of my favourites. Shame its stuff seldom appear in auctions :(

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

fedex email said nobody was home so delivery failed. but the guy came back in the evening and delivered :happy:

got the cuffed ss12 cotton trousers, thick and comfy of course. much darker than the beautiful light blue i missed out on, almost purplish. i guess i could wear even with black sneakers hehe
    now i want more navy. too bad asobu that jacket would have been great , i was so shortsighted !!!

PS Ivwri i didn't thrift anything, i liked walking through the Portobello but it seemed to start repeating itself, the same types of things appearing. Incidentally, this old Iranian fellow was speaking to another old Iranian fellow in persian, as they are wont to do, and he was telling the other he hadn't thought much of what he had -- in fact he considered most of it garbage that he'd collected over the years without dsposing of it -- and he thought to why not try his hand in the market which to his surprise ended up working. Well then I said to him in persian hello how are you etc. poor fellow blushed, realizing i had just witnessed his admission that it was all trash he was selling lol

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

wow dante. thanks for posting those. funny how a different perspective gives one... a different perspective. the lighting looks different too. not so flooded, and more shadows. another cool collection by the maestro.

merci, monsieur. I thought I remembered you enjoying exotic teas and chais. I bought some loose leaves at a local shop that carries Japanese things like kimonos, housewares and lots of tea. photo is taken with my lumix GF1 which is great with the pancake 20mm lens. really excellent macro shots. and by all means, if you're ever in the 415, we'll have bevvies and photo talk.

I'm just bitin' the steez laid out so well by ivwri, asobu and you guys who've been into it for awile. of course, I've known about yohji for years mostly thru fashion photography (nick knight, paolo roversi, peter lindberg etc.) and campaigns. i've never really been into "designer" fashion, maybe some helmut lang in the 00s, but this thread and ivwri's waywn posts really turned me on to his menswear. it somehow struck a nerve and now I'm hooked. sorry if I'm a little chatty in this thread. noob excitement.

really like that ivwri. also, great news!

today I wore some ultra baggy cotton-wool (I think) pants I scored from gilt (for ~ 60 bucks!). you can't tell by this photo, but they are super big up top, like a 38-40 inch waist that taper down to about 7.5" hem. and these are size 2. I love them. really basic fit today with uniqlo tee and some brand new stans. I was wearing the Ys "yohji model" military jacket I bought from valter earlier, but it got too hot today. 80s!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012