• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2018/2022

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
That's funny that you mention badminton as the Asian sports fetish (totally true, BTW). Just judging from the NCAA and NFL, I think more than a handful of black kids play football, too.

He said when he was growing up. He's probably old. lol

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
The following comment is so idiotic I just I have to laugh. First of all, America is made up of many tribes, and each tribe roots for a certain sport. When I was growing up, the Mexicans played soccer, the blacks played basketball, the Puerto Ricans played baseball, the Asians played badminton, and most of the whites played football, while everyone else played dodgeball. It just happened that the majority of Americans favor "American" sports. How many Mexicans show up to watch ice hockey? How many black people watch the America's cup? And now, let's be honest, how many white Americans watch soccer? No one in the US gives a damn about the World Cup...and the ones that do were Europeans pretending to be Americans. Secondly, when does hosting correlates with power projection? The driving force behind these decisions is economic. Nike and Adidas want to create new markets, that means getting Middle Eastern girls to buy soccer cleats and those fat ass Russian millionaires to finally buy a soccer ball to lose weight. Third, the selecting committee is dominated by Europeans, and many of them hate USA out of pure jealousy. This is psychological drama left over from WWII.

Makes perfect sense.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
So it's illegal in Qatar to drink or be drunk publicly. That has to be encouraging for fans.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
So it's illegal in Qatar to drink or be drunk publicly. That has to be encouraging for fans.

tell that to half a million drunk brits/germans/polaks

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
He said when he was growing up. He's probably old. lol

I think they integrated sports in the 50s and 60s, so he's really old. Clue #2: He mentioned badminton. I'm guessing that sport hasn't been popular since I was in the 7th grade (and I only played it cuz I am part Azn).

victorga

Reaction score
I will say this about the US Soccer Federation, I'm glad we didn't get the bid. Don't get me wrong I can't wait til the next one on American soil and I'll go to a dozen games. However the leadership of US soccer is so bad right now, if we would've been awarded host duties Sunil Gulati, and to an extent Don Garber, would be validated for mediocrity. There's no excuse for the US to not be a perennial top-10 team, even as the 4th or 5th most popular sport here, we have the athletes.

Hopefully this is the wake-up call the federation needs to actually start doing things right and stop settling for surviving the group stage.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

Originally Posted by frenchy
tell that to half a million drunk brits/germans/polaks

I thought I covered this already.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
By the way, saying that NOBODY cares about soccer in the US is a bunch of BS.

cerfvolant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewi
I'd be surprised if 2026 wasn't back in Europe. They seem to do a Europe, other continent, Europe, other continent rotation, or at least they have done since Sweden hosted in 1958.

Newish FIFA rules says that since it is happening in UEFA zone in 2018, they cannot bid for 2022 and 2026. Countries in UEFA can only bid for it in 2030.

and the Qatar decision,
ffffuuuu.gif

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knowing Qatar, theyll do whatever it takes to make this work. Theyll end up with a few billion deficit even if that makes it work.

I always thought theyre a favourite, the voting probably IS flawed but they have to be a favourite. I like the idea of the WORLD cup going to new places, and here youre talking about Qatar but that entails the whole arab/muslim/middle eastern world that will be hosting it for the first time.

And it was a very impressive bid, only reason to deny that would be if you had TECHNICAL expertise saying it wouldnt work.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. lol. shirtless obama at 4:48

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads