• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2014 - Brazil - Qualifying

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Draw for the World Cup Qualifying groups was today. Here are the results for each federation along with some helpful information about the qualifying process for each:

The 53 countries in Europe will be drawn into nine qualification groups - all made up of six teams apart from one of five teams.

Africa have five places for the finals. After a preliminary round, the 40 surviving teams contest 10 groups of four teams each.

Asia have 4.5 places in the finals. An initial competition will see 10 of the 43 countries in two groups with the winners and runners-up qualifying, and the third-placed teams playing off to go to the intercontinental play-off.

CONCACAF have 3.5 places for the finals for the 35 countries from north and central America and the Caribbean. Three qualifying rounds will leave six teams who play each other on a league basis. The top three qualify and the fourth-placed team go into the intercontinental play-off.

Oceania have 0.5 places and the 11 countries play preliminary games to produce a final group of four. The winner qualifies for the intercontinental play-off.

South America
have 4.5 places for the finals with hosts Brazil qualifying automatically. The nine countries play in one league with the top four qualifying and the fifth going to the intercontinental play-off. #wc2014

North America (3.5 spots):
First Stage:
Group A: El Salvador, Suriname, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic
Group B: Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Barbados, Bermuda
Group C: Panama, Dominica, Nicaragua, Bahamas
Group D: Canada, St Kitts and Nevis, Puerto Rico, St Lucia
Group E: Grenada, Guatemala, St Vincent and the Grenadine with a touch of lime, Belize
Group F: Haiti, Antigua and Barbuda, Curacao, US Virgin Islands

Second Stage:
Group A: USA, Jamaica, Winner E, Winner F
Group B: Mexico, Costa Rica, Winner A, Winner B
Group C: Honduras, Cuba, Winner D, Winner C

South America (4.5 spots):
Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Venezuala, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador play a home-and-home series against each other; top 4 automatically qualify for the World Cup and the fifth placed team plays in a playoff against a team from another federation. As hosts, Brazil is already qualified.

Europe (13 spots):
Group A: Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Scotland, Macedonia, Wales
Group B: Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Armenia, Malta
Group C: Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan
Group D: Holland, Turkey, Hungary, Romania, Estonia, Andorra
Group E: Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania, Cyprus, Iceland
Group F: Portugal, Russia, Israel, Northern Ireland, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg
Group G: Greece, Slovaka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Lithuania, Latvia, Lichtenstein
Group H: England, Montenegro, Poland, Moldova, San Marino
Group I: Spain, France, Belarus, Georgia, Finland (group of 5)

Winner of each group gets an automatic spot in the World Cup Finals, second place in each group goes to a playoff.

Africa (5 spots):
Playoff Games:
Seychelles v Kenya
Guinea-Bissau v Togo
Djibouti v Namibia
Mauritius v Liberia
Comoros v Mozambique
Equatorial Guinea v Madagascar
Somalia v Ethiopia
Lesotho v Burundi
Eritrea v Rwanda
Swaziland v Democratic Republic of Congo
Sao Tome and Principe v Congo
Chad v Tanzania

Group A: South Africa, Botswana, Central African Republic, Winner 7
Group B: Tunisia, Cape Verde Islands, Sierra Leone, Winner 6
Group C: Ivory Coast, Morocco, Gambia, Winner 12
Group D: Ghana, Zambia, Sudan, Winner 8
Group E: Burkina Faso, Gabon, Niger, Winner 11
Group F: Nigeria, Malawi, Winner 1, Winner 3
Group G: Egypt, Guinea, Zimbabwe, Winner 5
Group H: Algeria, Mali, Benin, Winner 9
Group I: Cameroon, Libya, Winner 2, Winner 10
Group J: Senegal, Uganda, Angola, Winner 4

Asia (4.5 spots):
Group A: China, Jordan, Iraq, Singapore
Group B: South Korea, Kuwait, UAE, Lebanon
Group C: Japan, Uzbekistan, Syria, North Korea
Group D: Australia, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Thailand
Group E: Iran, Qatar, Bahrain, Indonesia

The winners and runners-up qualify for the next stage, which features two groups of five. Winners and runners-up of that stage go to Brazil, third-place teams play off against each other for the right to play off against a team from South America.

Oceania (.5 spots):
Group A: Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Winner Round One, Tahiti
Group B: Fiji, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea

The Oceaniac draw is fairly simple, with only eight teams in it. Two groups of four, they all play a few matches, and at the end New Zealand qualify.

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My picks for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Europe:
Group A: Belgium
Group B: Denmark
Group C: Germany
Group D: Holland
Group E: Slovenia
Group F: Russia
Group G: Bosnia
Group H: England
Group I: Spain

Runners-Up: Croatia, Italy, Ireland, Turkey, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Ukraine, France

South America:
Brazil (automatically qualified as hosts)
1- Argentina
2- Uruguay
3- Chile
4- Paraguay
5- Ecuador (via playoff)

North America:
1- USA
2- Mexico
3- Jamaica
4- Honduras (via playoff)

Africa:
1- Ghana
2- Senegal
3- Nigeria
4- Ivory Coast
5- Cameroon

Asia:
1- Japan
2- Australia
3- South Korea
4- Saudi Arabia
5- Iraq (eliminated in playoff)

Oceania:
New Zealand (eliminated in playoff)

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an Ireland fan, I'm disappointed to again be drawn in a qualifying group with Germany. It's highly unlikely that we'll be able to win Group C, and hopefully this tournament's second place playoffs will be seeded, so we don't end up facing a team like France again. I have no idea how Croatia, Norway, and Greece got into Pot 1, as none of them are top 10 teams (even in Europe).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And he's dead wrong about Group B! :)

Europe (13 spots):
Group A: Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Scotland, Macedonia, Wales
Group B: Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Armenia, Malta
Group C: Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan
Group D: Holland, Turkey, Hungary, Romania, Estonia, Andorra
Group E: Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania, Cyprus, Iceland
Group F: Portugal, Russia, Israel, Northern Ireland, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg
Group G: Greece, Slovakia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Lithuania, Latvia, Lichtenstein
Group H: England, Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Moldova, San Marino
Group I: Spain, France, Belarus, Georgia, Finland (group of 5)

At least Italy didn't draw the "Group of Death". I don't know if there really is one this time; possibly A, C or E. Obviously things will be more clear after Euro 2012.

Russia and France are definitely the two most dangerous second-ranked teams.

Group A: Fireworks between Croatia and Serbia, Belgium the outsider. Nice group. Croatia. Belgium.
Group B: Difficult, tough, but not impossible for Italy. Italy. Denmark.
Group C: Maybe this is the toughest group, with several teams to threaten Germany. Germany. Ireland.
Group D: Holland walk in the park. Turkey is pretty good though, but only for 2nd. Holland. Turkey.
Group E: Pretty balanced group between Norway, Slovenia and Switzerland. Slovenia. Norway.
Group F: Portugal-Russia for the win, no other threats. Russia. Portugal.
Group G: Greece and who else? Greece. Slovakia.
Group H: England waltz, even easier than Group D. England. Ukraine.
Group I: Spain, France, x, x, x (group of 2 which should have been distributed separately). Spain. France.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see Greece winning that group. They're ranked way too high for a team that just isn't that good, and doesn't have any standout players. Slovakia are a good team as well, but I think Bosnia will surprise.

I think Group A is going to be the closest, and the most interesting to watch, because Croatia, Serbia, and Belgium are all good teams that play decent football, and on their day Scotland and Macedonia can cause problems for most teams (Wales are just ****, but oh well).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see Greece winning that group. They're ranked way too high for a team that just isn't that good, and doesn't have any standout players. Slovakia are a good team as well, but I think Bosnia will surprise.

I think Group A is going to be the closest, and the most interesting to watch, because Croatia, Serbia, and Belgium are all good teams that play decent football, and on their day Scotland and Macedonia can cause problems for most teams (Wales are just ****, but oh well).

I think you could be right on both counts; I do think the Germany group is difficult too.

Yes, Czech Republic will win that...

Man, you are harsh!!

And here I was hoping for the Netherlands to advance all the way to the Final...where Italy would win, of course! :)

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you could be right on both counts; I do think the Germany group is difficult too.

Man, you are harsh!!

And here I was hoping for the Netherlands to advance all the way to the Final...where Italy would win, of course! :)

:) Italy always wins from The Netherlands. :(

Except for, of course...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current Italian squad is so pedestrian that, while there's a good chance they will make it to the finals in Brazil, I don't see them doing any serious damage. That being said, they have three years left for their players to improve and gel, and for new players to be brought into the fold.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Johan Cruijff said: "Italians can’t defeat you but you can lose to them."

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The current Italian squad is so pedestrian that, while there's a good chance they will make it to the finals in Brazil, I don't see them doing any serious damage. That being said, they have three years left for their players to improve and gel, and for new players to be brought into the fold.

Yes, this current team is not the team that will be mature by then, but I think they will be good. Prandelli is new, and needs some time to create a cohesive squad, but I think he will be excellent. His schemes are more dynamic and attacking than the norm for Italy. This team will not rely on the catenaccio, thankfully.

For the first time in years, we have a coach who is willing to let a fantasista (Cassano) really contribute. Baggio was great of course, but even he was not allowed much off the leash, and after that Zola, Del Piero, Totti, Mancini, Di Canio, etc. were never really allowed to run free and create spontaneously, often never even selected. Cassano can really change a game quickly. The defense is young but promising. If Balotelli can ever grow up he is obviously a major, dominant talent. There are other good strikers, and Prandelli is not as afraid to call up young players as past coaches were.

I'm not thinking they will win the WC, but I do think they will be much better than in 2010 (not that that is saying much, i know...).

I do hope Ireland also advance. I like Trap, and I would love for them to qualify after the French injustice. I also hope the African teams do much better than their last piss-poor showing.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:) Italy always wins from The Netherlands. :(

Except for, of course...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

That was a hell of a game...for the Netherlands. You deserved that one, no doubt. Great team.

As the great Johan Cruijff said: "Italy have been in 6 Finals, and have won 4 of them. Holland have been in 3 Finals...and have won 0, nul, niks, nimmer. I think the record speaks for itself...."

Fixed for you. :D

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Ven, apart from Ghana the African teams really were **** in South Africa. I like the look of Senegal, they've got a lot of talented young players coming up that could seem them go pretty far.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Senegal the strongest now?

In recent years I liked that Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Ivory Coast were really legitimate threats, at least to advance to the 2nd round. There was so much hope in 2010 and only Ghana delivered. :(

I don't like the FIFA rankings at all (I just don't really believe them) but I see that currently of the top 50 Côte d'Ivoire is #14; Egypt #34; Ghana #36; Burkina Faso (???, really???) #39; Nigeria #43; Senegal #46; South Africa #49; and Cameroon #50.

Have Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon really fallen so far? They still have great players in Europe. I hope these countries can find the Yekini/Weah/Kanu magic, because the current players are also at that level, if not better, I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads