1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 2018/2022

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Dec 2, 2010.

1. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Meanwhile has everyone seen the [​IMG] inducing video that made up the Aussie bid?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

All very encouraging. Russia and Qatar are two fine fine places with fine fine footballing future. England and the USA have hosted the World Cup already and will just have to wait a bit longer, into the 2030s as it now looks. The game plan was to bring football to more countries. Qatar is representative of Middle East / the Arabic world. Russia is the biggest country on earth.

3. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

typical american response...newsflash: THERES A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD OUTSIDE THE BORDERS OF THE U.S of A
    but he is right from a gringo´s perspective.. we can have football but the us can have homoerotic us football and and baskeball.. honestly the us grasp on baseball is questionable. to be realistic baseball is more latin american than america, jsut looking at the world cup.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

honestly the us grasp on baseball is questionable. to be realistic baseball is more latin american than america, jsut looking at the world cup.

Not quite sure I am following the logic here. Baseball is quintessentially American. What you are opining is a bit like saying that hockey is not Canadian because the Swedes and Finns have won WCs and Olympics and have a significant presence in the NHL.

5. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

Not quite sure I am following the logic here. Baseball is quintessentially American. What you are opining is a bit like saying that hockey is not Canadian because the Swedes and Finns have won WCs and Olympics and have a significant presence in the NHL.

actually the british invented baseball,it was called rounders look it up.
    british soldiers also invented hockey,but they played it in canada.
    speaking of canada they invented basketball...so you guys basically got nothing going for you

6. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

What you are opining is a bit like saying that hockey is not Canadian because the Swedes and Finns have won WCs and Olympics and have a significant presence in the NHL.

Or that soccer is.....Qatari.

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

An ?espn? commentator mentioned that there's also the possibility that FIFA views the USA as the backup site for all these non-european world cups - they've done a last minute relocation before, back in 2003, for the Women's World Cup when China was having its SARs problem. But that was half as many teams, I think.

I am now personally hoping that Brazil flakes out and 2014 is relocated to the USA. Went to a match back in 1994 (got to watch the worst possible matchup) and would do multiple games if it happens.

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Who is favored for 2026? I don't see why we couldn't win that.

9. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Who is favored for 2026? I don't see why we couldn't win that.

I'd be surprised if 2026 wasn't back in Europe. They seem to do a Europe, other continent, Europe, other continent rotation, or at least they have done since Sweden hosted in 1958.

10. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

WALKING distance? how about crawling distance.

They're going to have a complex with 3 stadiums in one area. So stupid.

BTW, Korea/Japan also had a bid for 2022. Too close to 2002, IMO.

Korea and Japan launched separate bids for 2022, fwiw.

(Your statement read to me like you thought it was a joint bid)

11. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

Korea and Japan launched separate bids for 2022, fwiw.

(Your statement read to me like you thought it was a joint bid)

still too soon,although they did do a good job with the last one

12. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

I'd be surprised if 2026 wasn't back in Europe. They seem to do a Europe, other continent, Europe, other continent rotation, or at least they have done since Sweden hosted in 1958.

It should be Sweden 2026 again, then. A good old country with traditions and several football players.

13. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I think for America this should be a wake-up call, not just in the realm of sport. Our bid was riding the coattails of 1994 and our reputation as a dominant figure on the global stage. If we don't wake up and get our asses in gear with what the rest of the world is doing (advancing) we're gonna be the newest third world country in 100 years.

Qatar's bid was fucking GREAT.

If by bid, you mean the renderings of the proposed stadia, then I agree. Those do look like some awesome places to watch a match. I don't know whether they'll be able to overcome the heat, even with massive air conditioning systems for the pitches.

I can sort of understand FIFA wanting to have the World Cup in places where it hasn't been before, and to perhaps use the World Cup as an excuse to further develop a country's infrastructure. I think it was on the BBC broadcast, but someone said that over 1/3 of the world's population is within a 4 hour flight of Qatar, so that's interesting at least. I want to see if they can pull this off.

And fonk the Russians. That one should've gone to England.

14. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

still too soon,although they did do a good job with the last one

I agree. Just making a note, fwiw.

15. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

It should be Sweden 2026 again, then. A good old country with traditions and several football players.

That'd be great. Maybe we could qualify again, hopefully not fall arsebackwards in this time, though. I want to watch us play in a major international tournament in my lifetime, but I don't think it'll happen.

16. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I think we should send a Styleforvm contingent to the World Cup in Qatar.

No gheys allowed, of course.

17. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

on a side note the next euro is in poland/ukraine...mark my words if poland plays germany somebody will get killed...im polish and the shit i saw there from the fans (hooligans) is unreal.
    also how about Lodz beating manchester bahahaha

18. word

word Senior member

Americans care about soccer?

19. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

I got the whole shpeel about wanting the game to grow in locations where it isn't..so Russia and Qatar were chosen. Before I even get into why in my opinion those were the wrong locations....why the hell does FIFA feel the need to hold a bidding process if the locations were decided already by some indicators.

FIFA and Sepp Blatter are barely credible as an organization.

I love the sport..but dislike them.

20. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

I got the whole shpeel about wanting the game to grow in locations where it isn't..so Russia and Qatar were chosen. Before I even get into why in my opinion those were the wrong locations....why the hell does FIFA feel the need to hold a bidding process if the locations were decided already by some indicators.

FIFA and Sepp Blatter are barely credible as an organization.

I love the sport..but dislike them.

no better or worse then the olympics mafia,but i agree with you.
    as long as im entertained (and a billion other people) i guess im okay with it