• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

Amelorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
There are people for whom sales mean nothing. But they probably aren't shopping at AF and JC.

Why shop when one can rob Grandfather's old wardrobe? Where else can one find a grosgrain opera hat?

If you're paying retail for anything then you suck at sales.
It's my one commandment of shopping, with the sub-commandment of "unless the quality/fit should exceed what's on sale."

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike America, get over your ****** sense of nationalism.

I believe European anti-American sentiment is mostly an expression of their fear of the future as opposed to truly hating America. The future seems uncertain and they don't like what they see themselves becoming.

Can you blame them? All this European Union nonsense which arrogantly assumes the people of Europe can be melded together under a common cause. And now A&F!

Also would you accuse a Frenchman of having a "****** sense of nationalism" if he had expressed similar notions about his beloved France? Somehow I doubt it.

LUBE UP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I wonder if people here would hate A&F if it wasn't costume de rigueur for douchebags

It's not so much the people who are buying it (as is the case with Burberry in the UK) in the case as the fact that the company actively markets to and incorporates the frat-boy/beach bum identity into their corporate image. Even the founder and CEO looks like a 60 year old who couldn't let go of his college years.

Look at him!

story.jpg

Originally Posted by chunkmo
I've always wondered whether the percentage of well dressed people varies from country to country. Last year i went to LA expecting to be blown away but it's just the same as here, albeit with a slightly different aesthetic due to the general available clothing

Go to Paris. It's not so much that Parisians all happen to have good taste, it's just that in their culture they learn to dress conservatively and sharply. Because of this, they tend to fairly resistant to trends and fads in fashion, so the cutting of their clothes are pretty timeless, and they pick 'safe' colour palettes like pastels, browns, black and greys, so it's hard to have your clothes clash. More importantly you don't get moms obviously past their primes dressing like a 16 year-old teenybooper with hot pinks and studs.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quote from this excellent article from Michael Alden's blog: How to improve your dressWhat Young Men Can Do to Improve Their Dress
"....And if there are many things about Yanks we might like to copy, fashion and foreign policy are dangerous ones. .."

I think he's exaggerating, America cannot have much influence in men's fashion in this global economy. It was the case a few decades ago. Now there are so many micro-trends. I live in Europe and cannot feel any anti-American feelings. There are too many stereotypes in this thread, the young persons in big cities (Paris, News York, London) might dress similarly, but you cannot generalize for a whole country.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Also would you accuse a Frenchman of having a "****** sense of nationalism" if he had expressed similar notions about his beloved France? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm against all types of nationalism. Being proud of your country's social causes and properties can be good, but there are lots of people who are obsessed with their own countries and can't even articulate why other than that's where they're from.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
A quote from this excellent article from Michael Alden's blog: How to improve your dressWhat Young Men Can Do to Improve Their Dress
Shoes are to be heard but not seen.
since no one is wearing ties anymore, it’s a good time to wrap one around your neck.
Punctuate your understated dress with some epigrammatic piece of self deprecating humor. You might try an extravagant piece of silk as a scarf
Ok, so raver pants, necktie, and a silk scarf. Got it.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. No one around here is wearing crotchless business suits, therefore it must be chic. Time to take out the scissors...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
Makes sense to me. No one around here is wearing crotchless business suits, therefore it must be chic. Time to take out the scissors...

Sig worthy.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
A&F I can get but... Gap, Banana Republic? Seriously, who in Europe would want to buy that ****....

Originally Posted by dotfire
Uhhh don't you mean the other way around?

No at least with A&F it's a very particular image that isn't widely available overseas, where as with Gap and Banana Republic I couldn't even imagine clothes that are more bland and unflattering. How could the latter possibly compete with cheaper better brands like H&M, Zara, Topman, AllSaints, and Uniqlo floating around?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ich verwende das Wort Prolet, welches als peasant oder redneck übersetzt jedoch völlig aus dem Kontext gerissen wird. Douchebag passt wirklich hervorragend!(Just comparing English und German insults.)

douchbag übersetze ich zb. mit weichei, windbeutel, nasses handtuch. ein prolet ist zumindest in österreich ganz was anderes...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads