• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on the preppy look?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on what place's frat boys. If you're talking about your average low tier fraternity at Penn State or Iowa, then yes. Preppy has no similarity with flatbill hats and baggy basketball shorts. If you're talking about Washington and lee, Hampdon Sydney, UVA, and the SEC's fraternities, they are very similar to New England with a few differences--notably the love of New Balance 993s, Pocket t's, and hate of popped collars.

In terms of "frat prep" I think you're going off a slightly idealized view. SEC is not that nice. It depends more on the house itself and where the majority of brothers are from. (and to some extent, money) I think it comes to valuing brands as well, I haven't bought a Ralph Lauren blue label polo in ages because the quality is actually a joke. But to most people, blue label is considered sacred and the best money can buy. I think preppy is best done when the logos are only visible when the clothes are not tucked (shirt tails etc) or not visible at all. Running around in matching polo cap, shirt, shorts and sperrys just looks funny. When I wore a much nicer boat shoe than Sperrys people called my shoes "knock offs" and said Sperrys are 10x better. That's the kind of prep that pisses me off. And also boat shoes are NOT business casual or formal shoes, it's embarrassing to see people wearing them to formal chapter.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i could dress head to toe in polo or lacoste, and don't think i'd ever be preppy. asian people aren't really preppy, more nerdy. no old money to go around. and these were the kids I lived with when I lived in new england for 7 years. house on the cape with a boat type kids.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Request thread title be changed to
facepalm.gif
baldy[1].gif
facepalm.gif

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder if you clicked through that whole slideshow. Some of them are mixed with streetwear. Some of them aren't, and are, in fact, very clean cut. I think both work, and both look like prep to me. Perhaps I'm uninformed about the taxonomy of prep.

I also have no problem understanding context. Actually, my point was that prep was only being considered in a white, northeastern, JFK sort of context—the stereotypical view of it—when in fact it's much more widespread than that now. If you just want to talk about that WASP (well, WASC in JFK's case) context that's fine, but then you're having a discussion about what prep was 60 years ago and not what it means today, which seems to be what we're talking about. For that matter, if you'd clicked all the way through the slideshow, you would have seen the vintage pics of black preps, which shows that prep hasn't been exclusively white for a long time now. When people talk about it as a white thing, they're just plain wrong.

Thank you for bringing sanity to this otherwise insane thread.

Amelorn

Reaction score
In abbreviated nutshell:

Class/background: A bias (justified or not) against the stereotypical upper-middle/upper boating & regatta class.
Regional: A bias against New England + NY/NJ. (Yes, Southern Prep exists, but New England drives the trend)
Frat boys: They've co-opted the style and moderately bastardized it (flip flops, popped collars, etc). As a group, notoriously awful behavior doesn't help.

That said,

Khakis, boat shoes, polos, and oxford button downs were a staple of the men I grew up around. In high school, I was surrounded by golfers, the odd boater, and many, many, MANY, future (now current) frat boys. Picking up the style has been inevitable.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I wore a much nicer boat shoe than Sperrys people called my shoes "knock offs" and said Sperrys are 10x better. That's the kind of prep that pisses me off. And also boat shoes are NOT business casual or formal shoes, it's embarrassing to see people wearing them to formal chapter.

it works the other way too: I've read about how much better quoddy boat moccasins are, but in reality the $300 pair of quoddys aren't going to last any longer than my $65 sperry's if used on a sailboat being soaked with salt water and baked in the sun. Sure the quoddy's may be custom made by hand and fit better, but still the price isn't justified when used as regular boat shoes.

dinogj

Reaction score
I dress like a douchebag prep when i sail my ************* splintering 10ft bluejay around the long island sound. Captains hat, nantucket red pants, sebago's, usually no shirt.
you know what? its awesome. haters gonna hate.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I spent a summer on a Hinckley 59 (I can't believe I just said that) and that crowd with serious boats like that didn't let any street shoes anywhere near their ****, hence my skepticism.

Although the fishing argument made a good case for shoes on a boat, as did the splintering bluejay

Either way a lot of the other stuff I wanted to say seems to have been addressed - "preppy style", whatever that may mean, isn't exclusive to old money WASPs, and sure as hell isn't indicative of it, nor has it been in any of our lifetimes. It's like anything else on here, a ******* style. It has people that do it well, people that don't, people that "get it" and people that don't.

Some of SF's treasured brands are just updated prep: BoO is blatantly, Ervell too, etc.

I'm not close to being either rich or a WASP, but it doesn't mean preppy style can't be appropriated just like anything else.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads