• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on the preppy look?

inq89

Reaction score

Simply put and right imo^ (edit; with respect to its modern day iterations)

topic has been moved to bodybuilding dotcom S&P thread

I figured that "Sperrys and Polos" thread (S&P is the term used there for prep) would somehow get brought up. I post on that thread(s) a lot if anyone recognizes me. Lots of hate from the other Bodybuilding.com members who don't get it, but we don't flaunt ourselves and its just a thread for like-minded people to talk about a common subject, much like the purpose of this forum.

Stateside, prep is common because it is inherently east coast American as we all know. But at the very genesis of it, it is nothing more than button down shirts, chinos or wool pants, loafers and oxfords. Basically the common factor for all fashion, just very conservative from the skinny jeans and leather jackets guy. But I think most of today's fashion gets at least some influence from Prep/Trad/whatever. So I understand the reasoning behind people disliking the whole GTH attitude and all, but no reason to hate a style that is, in many ways, one of the forefathers of everything else.

Yes Prep is associated to the douchebag WASP antagonist. But that's sort of a reverse discrimination. Hell, I am not rich nor a WASP, in every sense of that word, but I still prefer dressing preppy than in any other fashion.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it works the other way too: I've read about how much better quoddy boat moccasins are, but in reality the $300 pair of quoddys aren't going to last any longer than my $65 sperry's if used on a sailboat being soaked with salt water and baked in the sun. Sure the quoddy's may be custom made by hand and fit better, but still the price isn't justified when used as regular boat shoes.

I didn't say the sperrys were bad shoes, I own a few pairs, I just said that their perception of brands is off. Boat shoes smell/are falling apart after 6 months anyways most of the time. It's just the belief that nothing is better than sperrys are. And if you're going off the whole prep idea, $300 should be chump change.

ghostdog123

Reaction score

I figured that "Sperrys and Polos" thread (S&P is the term used there for prep) would somehow get brought up. I post on that thread(s) a lot if anyone recognizes me. Lots of hate from the other Bodybuilding.com members who don't get it, but we don't flaunt ourselves and its just a thread for like-minded people to talk about a common subject, much like the purpose of this forum.

Stateside, prep is common because it is inherently east coast American as we all know. But at the very genesis of it, it is nothing more than button down shirts, chinos or wool pants, loafers and oxfords. Basically the common factor for all fashion, just very conservative from the skinny jeans and leather jackets guy. But I think most of today's fashion gets at least some influence from Prep/Trad/whatever. So I understand the reasoning behind people disliking the whole GTH attitude and all, but no reason to hate a style that is, in many ways, one of the forefathers of everything else.

Yes Prep is associated to the douchebag WASP antagonist. But that's sort of a reverse discrimination. Hell, I am not rich nor a WASP, in every sense of that word, but I still prefer dressing preppy than in any other fashion.

but do you consider yourself blissfully ignorant of most world events and are you a member of a country in decline directly as a result of your and fellow preps inability to participate in the reality outside of your countryclub/state/family/golfcourse/workplace....

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't say the sperrys were bad shoes, I own a few pairs, I just said that their perception of brands is off. Boat shoes smell/are falling apart after 6 months anyways most of the time. It's just the belief that nothing is better than sperrys are. And if you're going off the whole prep idea, $300 should be chump change.

thats a bit of a prep misnomer... its not the amount of money you spend on a clothing item... its the fact that you actually use it for its intended purpose and the wear, tear, patina should be from actual use in its intended purpose. dressing in ratty clothes, pretending to be (or actually being) cash poor, and driving around a beat up car is a way to deflect attention and mix in... these are all lessons in actually being frugal/practicality.

buying a $300 pair of quoddy boat moccasins maybe looked at as trying too hard (even if you use them for their intended purpose) because of the wastefulness of it.... but having an old pair ratty pair of quoddy moccasins when they were still sold for under $100 is wicked awesome.

its convoluted and damn similar to "hipsterism logic" but thats the way it works...

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thats a bit of a prep misnomer... its not the amount of money you spend on a clothing item... its the fact that you actually use it for its intended purpose and the wear, tear, patina should be from actual use in its intended purpose. dressing in ratty clothes, pretending to be (or actually being) cash poor, and driving around a beat up car is a way to deflect attention and mix in... these are all lessons in actually being frugal/practicality.

buying a $300 pair of quoddy boat moccasins maybe looked at as trying too hard (even if you use them for their intended purpose) because of the wastefulness of it.... but having an old pair ratty pair of quoddy moccasins when they were still sold for under $100 is wicked awesome.

its convoluted and damn similar to "hipsterism logic" but thats the way it works...

Yes, but the OP did mention money in his posts so going off that in terms of the $300 comment.

And for the record the shoes were a was a pair of polo made in USA (or italy? don't remember) boat shoes from a few seasons back. Got them on sale for $89 so just a bit more than sperrys.

And I think a good amount of people that are being complained about on this thread run around in polo clothing just to show the pony logo.

inq89

Reaction score

but do you consider yourself blissfully ignorant of most world events and are you a member of a country in decline directly as a result of your and fellow preps inability to participate in the reality outside of your countryclub/state/family/golfcourse/workplace....

Why the left field personal attack? Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears your statement is attacking "Old money, Titans of industry" types. I am a first generation Asian American, with family still living in what many consider poverty level in my parent's homeland (actually, I am helping in the support of a close cousin in her efforts in nursing school over there, which is her only way to escape). I don't consider myself Republican or Democrat and can vote either way. I voted for Obama when I turned 18 just a few years ago. I don't know how to golf and am not a member of a country club. And as stated before, I am not from a wealthy background and currently have $500 in my bank account if you don't count the student loans I live off of. My family is on the lower end of the middle class and have money issues just like anyone else. My father is currently unemployed and was laid off a while ago.

But to answer your question, yes I am blissfully ignorant. I don't live in my parent's third-world country and I enjoy the comforts of western society. I don't live in a tiny shack that I have to share with 4 other siblings, unlike my cousin aforementioned. But if you have access to a computer, I am willing to bet you do too. And I am also willing to bet that my personal background is on par with the do-gooders of this world, probably just like you too. Cheers to both of us. But just so happens that I like wearing nice clothes, which 95% of is either purchased on eBay, Goodwill, or at major discount. I love thriftiness as much as the next guy. Don't have to be a WASP to enjoy WASPy things....does that fit the image I am assume you are imposing on me?

Last edited:

ghostdog123

Reaction score
wasn't meant to be a personal attack as much as an articulation of what a prep represents as a human being. the style is has had a close relationship with a particular lifestyle that is somewhat inseparable from it here in the US. the social organism that feeds off of this lifestyle is generally evident of sheltered douchebags, beyond any debates on localized morality or anything.

you don't fit into what i'm referring to, but i was inferring upon the consequences of the history of prep, not fringe adopters of the style. so, i'm sorry :)

still i would never want to be associated with the tradition behind the prep look, i think that is the shared sentiment here.

Last edited:

Cacatfish

Reaction score

Why the left field personal attack? Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears your statement is attacking "Old money, Titans of industry" types. I am a first generation Asian American, with family still living in what many consider poverty level in my parent's homeland (actually, I am helping in the support of a close cousin in her efforts in nursing school over there, which is her only way to escape). I don't consider myself Republican or Democrat and can vote either way. I voted for Obama when I turned 18 just a few years ago. I don't know how to golf and am not a member of a country club. And as stated before, I am not from a wealthy background and currently have $500 in my bank account if you don't count the student loans I live off of. My family is on the lower end of the middle class and have money issues just like anyone else. My father is currently unemployed and was laid off a while ago.

But to answer your question, yes I am blissfully ignorant. I don't live in my parent's third-world country and I enjoy the comforts of western society. I don't live in a tiny shack that I have to share with 4 other siblings, unlike my cousin aforementioned. But if you have access to a computer, I am willing to bet you do too. And I am also willing to bet that my personal background is on par with the do-gooders of this world, probably just like you too. Cheers to both of us. But just so happens that I like wearing nice clothes, which 95% of is either purchased on eBay, Goodwill, or at major discount. I love thriftiness as much as the next guy. Don't have to be a WASP to enjoy WASPy things....does that fit the image I am assume you are imposing on me?

Ironically frugality and reserve in appearance are very waspy things.
$750 Lanvin sneakers are just soooo nouveau riche.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those white kids in the pic above look stupid. jkissi and his buddies at hillman look ******* cool. as long as you look cool it's ok

inq89

Reaction score

wasn't meant to be a personal attack as much as an articulation of what a prep represents as a human being. the style is has had a close relationship with a particular lifestyle that is somewhat inseparable from it here in the US. the social organism that feeds off of this lifestyle is generally evident of sheltered douchebags, beyond any debates on localized morality or anything.

you don't fit into what i'm referring to, but i was inferring upon the consequences of the history of prep, not fringe adopters of the style. so, i'm sorry :)

still i would never want to be associated with the tradition behind the prep look, i think that is the shared sentiment here.

It's cool man. And even I admit that prep is always associated to the douchebag rich kid. But don't let Hollywood stereotypes sink in too much. Think about urban guys who wear hip hop clothing, are they all gangsters? Nope. It can also be subjective to location....I live in the south where prep is the norm. Seriously, everyone here wears Sperry boat shoes and it is not uncommon to see brightly colored shorts. Frat guys, etc. can take it to an extreme but for the most part you can get away with it whether you are poor or rich. If I wore preppy clothes in SoCal however, absolutely I'd get negative looks. But I guess what I'm saying is that prep is just a style. It's very accessible so regardless of social status and weight of character, anyone can wear it just like any other style out there.

Ironically frugality and reserve in appearance are very waspy things.
$750 Lanvin sneakers are just soooo nouveau riche.

Truth indeed. I even have clothes passed down from my grandfather, I'll be a legacy student at an Ivy in no time!

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

those white kids in the pic above look stupid. jkissi and his buddies at hillman look ******* cool. as long as you look cool it's ok

I repeat, my only hobby is looking fresh to death on my ******* yacht.

Amelorn

Reaction score

That's mostly a protestant ethics myth not an actual portrait of spending habits.

Some adhere to it and some don't. How do you think Brooks Brothers gets away with much of their pricing? Prep can be done authentically for a moderate investment. It can also cost a small fortune.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads