Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why do people hate on the preppy look?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dustin_hisle1, Jul 31, 2011.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

In terms of "frat prep" I think you're going off a slightly idealized view. SEC is not that nice. It depends more on the house itself and where the majority of brothers are from. (and to some extent, money) I think it comes to valuing brands as well, I haven't bought a Ralph Lauren blue label polo in ages because the quality is actually a joke. But to most people, blue label is considered sacred and the best money can buy. I think preppy is best done when the logos are only visible when the clothes are not tucked (shirt tails etc) or not visible at all. Running around in matching polo cap, shirt, shorts and sperrys just looks funny. When I wore a much nicer boat shoe than Sperrys people called my shoes "knock offs" and said Sperrys are 10x better. That's the kind of prep that pisses me off. And also boat shoes are NOT business casual or formal shoes, it's embarrassing to see people wearing them to formal chapter.

2. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

i could dress head to toe in polo or lacoste, and don't think i'd ever be preppy. asian people aren't really preppy, more nerdy. no old money to go around. and these were the kids I lived with when I lived in new england for 7 years. house on the cape with a boat type kids.

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Request thread title be changed to [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Thank you for bringing sanity to this otherwise insane thread.

5. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Well, if we're going to be that way, then it's really more of WIC thing, isn't it?

6. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

In abbreviated nutshell:

Class/background: A bias (justified or not) against the stereotypical upper-middle/upper boating & regatta class.
    Regional: A bias against New England + NY/NJ. (Yes, Southern Prep exists, but New England drives the trend)
    Frat boys: They've co-opted the style and moderately bastardized it (flip flops, popped collars, etc). As a group, notoriously awful behavior doesn't help.

That said,

Khakis, boat shoes, polos, and oxford button downs were a staple of the men I grew up around. In high school, I was surrounded by golfers, the odd boater, and many, many, MANY, future (now current) frat boys. Picking up the style has been inevitable.

7. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I want to be an odd boater.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

it works the other way too: I've read about how much better quoddy boat moccasins are, but in reality the $300 pair of quoddys aren't going to last any longer than my $65 sperry's if used on a sailboat being soaked with salt water and baked in the sun. Sure the quoddy's may be custom made by hand and fit better, but still the price isn't justified when used as regular boat shoes.

9. dinogj

dinogj Senior member

I dress like a douchebag prep when i sail my piece of shit splintering 10ft bluejay around the long island sound. Captains hat, nantucket red pants, sebago's, usually no shirt.
    you know what? its awesome. haters gonna hate.

10. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

11. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I spent a summer on a Hinckley 59 (I can't believe I just said that) and that crowd with serious boats like that didn't let any street shoes anywhere near their shit, hence my skepticism.

Although the fishing argument made a good case for shoes on a boat, as did the splintering bluejay

Either way a lot of the other stuff I wanted to say seems to have been addressed - "preppy style", whatever that may mean, isn't exclusive to old money WASPs, and sure as hell isn't indicative of it, nor has it been in any of our lifetimes. It's like anything else on here, a fucking style. It has people that do it well, people that don't, people that "get it" and people that don't.

Some of SF's treasured brands are just updated prep: BoO is blatantly, Ervell too, etc.

I'm not close to being either rich or a WASP, but it doesn't mean preppy style can't be appropriated just like anything else.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

12. London

London Senior member

subverted more like it

13. 1969

1969 Senior member

Hate is because it requires no thought it's just a uniform. In fact that's one of it's main points-accessibility.

14. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Simply put and right imo^ (edit; with respect to its modern day iterations)

topic has been moved to bodybuilding dotcom S&P thread

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

15. Wess

Wess Well-Known Member

Why did you make me find this post?