Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why do people hate on the preppy look?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by dustin_hisle1, Jul 31, 2011.

1. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

Please correct me if I'm wrong -- when I think of "preppy", I think of

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If correct, I love the look -- provided it is worn in the proper context. Otherwise, it comes across hopelessly fake and "wannabe".

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

2. dustin_hisle1

dustin_hisle1 Active Member

I would consider JFK preppy. Not just the way he dressed but also his lifestyle.

3. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Pfft. J.F.K. was such a Nazi.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

4. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

100% agreed, and that's what I mean by context (though that may not be the best word for it). That look appeals to me a lot and I wish I could pull it off, but it certainly doesn't jive with me and would look awkward as hell on me...

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I was weaned on john hughes movies... preppies are evil according to him. that's what's wrong with the preppy look.

6. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Because not all of us come from white, upper-middle class families nor do we want to look like we're trying to be someone who wants to look like they do. I came from an immigrant family, my father was a carpenter, I would look ridiculous wearing a pastel sweater around my shoulders.

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

i'm dying here

8. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

The irony of Fuuma hating on entitled rich white kids is just funny.

9. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Profound observation and statement.

Best thread ever.

10. London

London Senior member

what are you dudes talking about. You don't have to be a WASP to dress preppy. Fahion/style has always had groups, tribes, classes, ethnicities, that freely borrowed clothing and codes of dress and changed and reinterpreted the meaning, signifiers and added something new and made it their own. The mashup in fashion has been happening since time eternal. Back in England coming out of the middle ages aristocracy started forbidding "commoners" to dress like them because they were scared of what the association signified. The whole skin movement was originally "inspired" by Jamaican rude boy style. In the US, Bebop cats incorporated Ivy League dress in the 50's and owned it. Elvis incorporated Black style at the beginning of his career that's why he was labeled dangerous and they tried to censor him. Hippies changed the meaning of military garb by wearing it in peaceful anti-war protests , Lolifes fetishized Ralph Lauren and on and on and on. It's on you wear the clothes and inject the meaning that you want to convey, the clothes don't wear you.

11. Razele

Razele Senior member

This thread is the worst

The way you dress communicates with people

Thus if you dress like a douche, or want to appear to be douche like, you will communicate to people, that you are a douche

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

You're a moron, I'm hating on a look for reasons I've already explained but probably went way above your head considering you're a mouthbreather. The nazi parodies were merely offered to demonstrate that an appeal to your past and childhood was no argument for a look and its associations.

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

The prep looks in that picture are combined with a healthy dose of streetwear, though. None of those guys look like the clean-cut preps that people in this thread are obviously talking about.

Also, the origins of preppy style are undeniably white. You seem to have issues understanding context.

15. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I wonder if you clicked through that whole slideshow. Some of them are mixed with streetwear. Some of them aren't, and are, in fact, very clean cut. I think both work, and both look like prep to me. Perhaps I'm uninformed about the taxonomy of prep.

I also have no problem understanding context. Actually, my point was that prep was only being considered in a white, northeastern, JFK sort of context—the stereotypical view of it—when in fact it's much more widespread than that now. If you just want to talk about that WASP (well, WASC in JFK's case) context that's fine, but then you're having a discussion about what prep was 60 years ago and not what it means today, which seems to be what we're talking about. For that matter, if you'd clicked all the way through the slideshow, you would have seen the vintage pics of black preps, which shows that prep hasn't been exclusively white for a long time now. When people talk about it as a white thing, they're just plain wrong.