• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people hate on the preppy look?

Cacatfish

Reaction score
Ironically frugality and reserve in appearance are very waspy things.
$750 Lanvin sneakers are just soooo nouveau riche.

That's mostly a protestant ethics myth not an actual portrait of spending habits.

Taken as a whole (since we are speaking in generalizations here) I'd say there is a lot of truth in that so called myth.
Even if it weren't, isn't the mythos what we are really here to talk about on a style forum?

socal225

Reaction score
Quote:

I am you but Hispanic. I can identify with everything you posted and I agree with you when you say that you don't have to be a WASP to enjoy and admire their style whether it may be fashion style or striving to become successful in life. Being educated, the love of classic things, having good mannerisms and etiquette are just a few things I admire about the 'true prep' style.

I fully understand that being a true prep is a lifestyle and people are born into it. I am in no way trying to project a facade to the world, I am not wealthy by any means nor am I white. I cannot help that I love their style. I know my place in the world but I also know my taste in clothing and even though I may be a novice when it come to fashion, I crave to learn as much as I can about the 'true prep' style and hope to incorporate it into my everyday life.

In my humble opinion I don't see why you have to be a WASP in order to dress this way; it's classy, it's clean and a positive self-image one can project to the world.

Last edited:

socal225

Reaction score
It's cool man. And even I admit that prep is always associated to the douchebag rich kid. But don't let Hollywood stereotypes sink in too much. Think about urban guys who wear hip hop clothing, are they all gangsters? Nope. It can also be subjective to location....I live in the south where prep is the norm. Seriously, everyone here wears Sperry boat shoes and it is not uncommon to see brightly colored shorts. Frat guys, etc. can take it to an extreme but for the most part you can get away with it whether you are poor or rich. If I wore preppy clothes in SoCal however, absolutely I'd get negative looks. But I guess what I'm saying is that prep is just a style. It's very accessible so regardless of social status and weight of character, anyone can wear it just like any other style out there.
Truth indeed. I even have clothes passed down from my grandfather, I'll be a legacy student at an Ivy in no time!

I live in SoCal, very near to Palm Springs a prominent golfing resort town. While I do get funny looks, it's mostly by my fellow Hispanics that know squat about East Coast Ivy League/WASP lifestyle. I get compliments from the older white fellas though.

Last edited:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about those cargo pants on the lvc site?

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a twinkie (asian, raised by white people). But I was raised in the south where the preps were almost always douchebag rednecks that were headed to SEC schools to join douchebag fraternities to perpetuate the cycle of douchebaginess once they married an equally douchey (and racist, unless she's ******* the football team again) sorority girl and spit out some ugly ******* redneck kids. So, prep "style" is kinda a codeword for "douchebag" in my and many other Southerners' minds.

Having said that, "proper" prep style is pretty sharp when wearing properly fitting clothes and what not. Since I'm no longer in the South, I no longer have the instinctive "flinch" when I see someone prepped out, but I do wonder if they have a boat down in Marina Del Rey...

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cuz you look like you wanna be punched wearin dat ****

dustin_hisle1

Reaction score
I don't see how a "frat boy" dresses bad. At my school during the warmer months a pocket T, short flat front shorts and Sperry's are the normal thing. In the Fall the button downs, chinos and duck boots come into play. This is biased because I'm part of a fraternity but then again I do own 2 great fitting suits and a traditional navy blue blazer. I would say I differ in neck wear though as I tend to rock the bow tie more often. I just don't understand how the "Frat boy" look is a bad thing. To me prep and "frat boy" look are quite similar.

vaalbara

Reaction score

I don't see how a "frat boy" dresses bad. At my school during the warmer months a pocket T, short flat front shorts and Sperry's are the normal thing. In the Fall the button downs, chinos and duck boots come into play. This is biased because I'm part of a fraternity but then again I do own 2 great fitting suits and a traditional navy blue blazer. I would say I differ in neck wear though as I tend to rock the bow tie more often. I just don't understand how the "Frat boy" look is a bad thing. To me prep and "frat boy" look are quite similar.

don't think we're talking about the same kind of "frat boy" here

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's jealously, mainly. I can't afford to buy my friends so I have to earn them the old fashioned way.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm amazed that the OP is still around. Bravo for your conviction!

Superboy

Reaction score
I see that alot of people here do not like the preppy look. Why not though? Every man walking the streets is wearing khaki chinos and a polo. Why not stand out a little bit? I don't find anything wrong with shorts that have 5 inch inseams, Nantucket reds, Sperry's and the traditional "frat boy" look.

I live in the former Eastern Europe and there are a few people who are real prep - unlike me - who kind of study this sort of thing. What is prep and what is not? There are a lot of people here who are trying to look prep without actually being prep - does that make any sense? Some expats here have written a Ph D thesis (kdding) on the whole thing - here are the links to their posts.

Article 1 about why people who arent preppy want to wear preppy clothes

Article 2 which is about what real preppy look is

What do you all think?

freddych

Reaction score
People hate on the prep look because for most, it's incredibly poserish. I agree the prep style should be reserved for those with true prep pedigree, but only because I do.

Attended prep all boys school from 1-12 and private school for ugrad (nyu, not so preppy) and law school (duke, super preppy). Also, I golf (single digit handicap) and used to fence (nationally ranked for much of my career).

Are my prep credentials strong enough to qualify me to wear wayfarers, Nantucket red shorts, a polo, and oak street bookmakers boat shoes? :slayer:

johanm

Reaction score
Some prep stuff is embraced on SF. OCBDs are 100% based in prep style. Lots of the Junya / Visvim stuff derived from equestrian or hunting styles are very sloane ranger, which is the UK equivalent of prep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads