• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a good work bag?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSTF
kill spencer.

http://www.killspencer.com/

Those are pretty damn cool. Like the repurposed military tarp idea.

Takes 'man-bag' to a new level (although I hate that term, even in jest - makes me think of Manhattan metrosexual dudes who are too cut and really dig 'manscraping' and drinking at Pastis.

Wothing wrong with a tough, functional, durable all-purpose utility bag. If I had pockets for all the **** I carry, I'd look like the Michelin Man.

Here's another company for anyones interest. German studio called Freitag. Repurposed European truck tarps, seatbelts and inner tubes. Nicely designed, durable, and all are one-off due to being cut from unique used tarp sections. No two are like. Not totally practical for ninja's needs though...but fun.

http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/shop.jsf

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
a bag carried by a member of the male gender
Or the sack where they store their nuts. Or a man purse.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninja07
thanks to all and I really appreciate all the more constructive comments.

Ive looked through the definitive manbag thread - almost every type of bag is in there. What is the definition of a manbag anyway? Small sling bags, gymbag/holdalls, duffels, briefcases, messengers, etc all feature in that thread. While it provides really comprehensive general information, its difficult to make any conclusion personally considering the issues I have faced with several bags that I've been using. Bags are inevitably linked to function and performance (not so much style, though aesthetics can't be ignored) so the reason why I posted this is obviously because I am looking for something that fits my criterias and hopefully can hear from the people who work in similar fields and share similar experiences.

The term 'Man-bag' to me implies form/style before function, and follows trends rather than providing a functional, durable utility product that wears well and develops character with use. This is why I'm so averse to the term, even in jest. What's wrong with good, tough carry-bag? If I had enough pockets for all the crap I carry, I'd look like the Michelin Man...

I've gone though many different bags, in many different environments and uses, and like jeans, a good bag's strengths and weaknesses are usually only apparent with extended use (and will be unique to the user). Also, a bag's weaknesses aren't always apparent in normal daily use, but for example may become glaringly obvious if you suddenly travel with it.

Ironically, it's really like a pair of jeans, holding to that 'wabi-sabi' principal that all things of (undefinable) quality will develop unique character individual to the material, the maker and the user. And, like a pair of jeans, you can also find that you might invest a lot of time into using and breaking in a bag, only to find it self-destructs or doesn't provide the longevity, practicality or develop the character (or usefulness) you had hoped.

I think this is the unspoken reason why brands, and classics, like Carhartt, LL Bean, Doc Marten, Ray Ban, etc. continue to be held in high regard and have loyal followers regardless of the trends coming and going. It's not even about being 'anti-trend'. It's deeper than that. Why are we so attracted to vintage objects, cars, leather jackets, jeans that have true use and wear showing in them? Why do so many pay more for the easy shortcuts of 'pre-distressed' objects? Why is 'distressing' so popular anyway?

This is one of the reasons I want to barf when I see anyone sporting anything pre-distressed. Our culture, as always, wants something quick without earning it.

Even in this nanochip era, bricks are still used to build houses for a reason.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninja07
Thanks for the suggestion. Thats a great looking bag. Just checked out the dimensions : 13"H x 17"L x 4"D. May be a bit tight to get my laptop in. But I wouldnt mind waxed cotton as long as its sturdy.

I think that it is meant to fit up to a 17" MacBook, but you should check with Krane Designs. 4" is pretty deep, and the soft suede and cotton canvas construction means that there is significant leeway. I use the smaller Siebel, and it fits my 15" laptop+ extra protective sleeve + plenty of papers, just fine.

The waxed cotton is sturdy. Not Filson sturdy, but unless you are going into a war, plenty sturdy.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mlyngard,

SBL bags are exactly what you're discribing a good utility bag should be, seriously, it's not a "man bag", actually its far from it and fyi, it's not pre-distressed either.
It's simply top grain, top quality hides that have been fully tanned and cured so they will just get better and better with age and wear, and they look great all beat up, dirty and scratched yet at the same time, at any given moment you can wipe then down with some leather oil and it looks ready for pairing it with a business suit for a meeting.

I dislike most "man bags" myself, I had a a few fancy LV ones for some years and got tired of them 'cuz they really couldnt pull off both functions well, so I sold them and got me 2 from sbl and never regretted it, I'm telling you these can really take a beating, handle extreme weather conditions, hold all your **** and you can use it as a briefcase with top handle, shoulder/messenger with thick adjustable strap or convert it to a backpack and always looks good and high quality.

Now can you tell me from personal experience of another bag that can do all that and be guarranteed for 100 years???

Hehlol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
You're a douche if you think your three sweet little words are the penultimate solution to his question, my friend.

Try carrying that bag as a city bike messenger for five years, rain, shine and snow (or any bag for that matter) and see what your fashion sensibilities get you. Or better yet, try carrying it to filthy construction sites while trying to keep architectural documents clean, like some of us do, and then also trying to keep a bag respectable looking in the office too, and I'll consider your bag.

You're a douche when you use the word 'penultimate' wrong.

Cheers.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hehlol
You're a douche when you use the word 'penultimate' wrong.

Cheers.

reanimator1xo5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads