• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a good work bag?

JSTF

Reaction score

ninja07

Reaction score
thanks to all and I really appreciate all the more constructive comments.

Ive looked through the definitive manbag thread - almost every type of bag is in there. What is the definition of a manbag anyway? Small sling bags, gymbag/holdalls, duffels, briefcases, messengers, etc all feature in that thread. While it provides really comprehensive general information, its difficult to make any conclusion personally considering the issues I have faced with several bags that I've been using. Bags are inevitably linked to function and performance (not so much style, though aesthetics can't be ignored) so the reason why I posted this is obviously because I am looking for something that fits my criterias and hopefully can hear from the people who work in similar fields and share similar experiences.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
i do exactly this, almost every day, with the saddleback bag he mentioned. couldn't be happier with it.

Yeah my saddleback bag looks great when I trash it and if I have to dress up more I just wipe it down and give it a quick shine. It's probably too heavy for the guy though.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
You're a douche if you think your three sweet little words are the penultimate solution to his question, my friend.

Try carrying that bag as a city bike messenger for five years, rain, shine and snow (or any bag for that matter) and see what your fashion sensibilities get you. Or better yet, try carrying it to filthy construction sites while trying to keep architectural documents clean, like some of us do, and then also trying to keep a bag respectable looking in the office too, and I'll consider your bag.

well said. A bag that fits across 2 quite different functions and will look appropriate both in the construction site and in the corporate office.

ninja07

Reaction score
PS - Ninja, how do you typically wear a messenger bag? They should actually be the easiest to access of any bag, which is the point (quick access is easy if you slide it to your side like a holster around your lower chest/hip area when grabbing something out of it).

well, on the shoulders and across the chest. I slide it more towards my back and like you say, when I need to open it I'd slide it forward to the side. Problem is that messengers don't really have smaller side/front compartments which which could either be unzipped or unfastened to open (if you know one pls enlighten). I guess most would require pulling open a big flap that is fastened by velcro to reach the contents. I did use a large Manhattan Portage messenger for a couple of years though.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
i do exactly this, almost every day, with the saddleback bag he mentioned. couldn't be happier with it.

may I ask which saddlebag? any links? Thanks in advance.

Sigmatic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninja07
may I ask which saddlebag? any links? Thanks in advance.

i have this one for general use - on site, walking around, travel, etc

i also have this one for light duty days or when i just need my laptop.

their small wallets and passport wallets are great as well. all up i have 5 pieces from saddleback, so i'm a very happy customer

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, on the shoulders and across the chest. I slide it more towards my back and like you say, when I need to open it I'd slide it forward to the side. Problem is that messengers don't really have smaller side/front compartments which which could either be unzipped or unfastened to open (if you know one pls enlighten). I guess most would require pulling open a big flap that is fastened by velcro to reach the contents. I did use a large Manhattan Portage messenger for a couple of years though.

Krane's Saleen bag, which is actually designed as a laptop bag, but can be used any which way, opens from the top easily, with a high quality riri zip:

http://www.oaknyc.com/men/shop-by-br...ane-saleen-bag

It comes in a number of colors. In addition to Oak, Roden Gray carries them for sure (since the owner reps the brand), and so will Context and Farinelli's. I believe that he is also making some all leather versions, which might be more suitable for the office, but the waxed cotton won't scratch as easily.

ninja07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Krane's Saleen bag, which is actually designed as a laptop bag, but can be used any which way, opens from the top easily, with a high quality riri zip:

http://www.oaknyc.com/men/shop-by-br...ane-saleen-bag

It comes in a number of colors. In addition to Oak, Roden Gray carries them for sure (since the owner reps the brand), and so will Context and Farinelli's. I believe that he is also making some all leather versions, which might be more suitable for the office, but the waxed cotton won't scratch as easily.

Thanks for the suggestion. Thats a great looking bag. Just checked out the dimensions : 13"H x 17"L x 4"D. May be a bit tight to get my laptop in. But I wouldnt mind waxed cotton as long as its sturdy.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a douche if you think your three sweet little words are the penultimate solution to his question, my friend. Try carrying that bag as a city bike messenger for five years, rain, shine and snow (or any bag for that matter) and see what your fashion sensibilities get you. Or better yet, try carrying it to filthy construction sites while trying to keep architectural documents clean, like some of us do, and then also trying to keep a bag respectable looking in the office too, and I'll consider your bag.
Wow, pissy indeed!!! and I'm a douche? PLeeeeeaasseeeeee..... All I gotta say to your little pissy rant is, I own one of those bags and I put it through hell, trust me, it can take it and then some; do some research first before trying to piss on other comments/suggestions,...... 'cuz obviously in this case, you dont know what your talking about man.......

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well said. A bag that fits across 2 quite different functions and will look appropriate both in the construction site and in the corporate office.

Have you seen the sbl bags?? do you actually know what you're referring to, or talking about, when you agree to that guys comment? I think not, as if you did, you'd realize than sbl bags can do precisely that, take a ******* beating and be all scratched up and **** and then just give it a wipe down and its ready to go with you to a board meeting or some fancy presentation with no problems, can take rain, hail, snow without any issues, seriously man people should do some research before making comments based on what they "think", rather than what they "know".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads