What's a good work bag?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ninja07, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

Hi folks

Been looking around for a good work bag and need some recommendations. Typically my bag would contain most importantly a 17" MBP with power cord, mouse etc, some files, notebook, stationary. I work as a architect/designer and am mobile with my work, moving from client meetings and project sites to supervise construction and meeting fabricators etc. I drive so that helps in the getting around places part but I could be standing or having a meeting on job sites carrying my bag the whole time - something comfortable, tough and durable would be ideal.

I am currently using a Porter tote but it drives me crazy slinging it on everytime - i'm more used to carrying it on my shoulders, but the handles just don't sit well.

As for backpacks - used to have a visvim k20 pack once - loved it but sold it due to its weight. Messengers are just difficult to open if I need to get a notebook or camera out quickly while its on my shoulders.

Any of you out here in a similar situation? Would welcome any ideas....

Thanks in advance.

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

3. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

But what I really want to know is.. what's the best jeans to buy???????????????? [​IMG]

4. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Can you tell me which shoes to buy to wear with jeans and also perhaps maybe khakis.

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manbag means something totally different to some people. [​IMG]

6. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Guys I'm looking for a piece of cloth with a couple of sleeves and a neckhole. Recs?

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Guys I'm looking for a piece of cloth with a couple of sleeves and a neckhole. Recs?

just get a bed sheet and cut some holes in it you bourgeoise scum

8. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

I got's 3 words for you.......

Saddleback. Leather. Briefcase.

Now go look it up on the web and kop it, best you can get if you're looking for something that:

- Will fit all your shit
    - Will last for yeeeeeaaars
    - Will look better over time and wear
    - Will take more serious punishment than you could ever dish out

There you go my little special flower you..................

Hi folks

Been looking around for a good work bag and need some recommendations. Typically my bag would contain most importantly a 17" MBP with power cord, mouse etc, some files, notebook, stationary. I work as a architect/designer and am mobile with my work, moving from client meetings and project sites to supervise construction and meeting fabricators etc. I drive so that helps in the getting around places part but I could be standing or having a meeting on job sites carrying my bag the whole time - something comfortable, tough and durable would be ideal.

I am currently using a Porter tote but it drives me crazy slinging it on everytime - i'm more used to carrying it on my shoulders, but the handles just don't sit well.

As for backpacks - used to have a visvim k20 pack once - loved it but sold it due to its weight. Messengers are just difficult to open if I need to get a notebook or camera out quickly while its on my shoulders.

Any of you out here in a similar situation? Would welcome any ideas....

Thanks in advance.

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I got's 3 words for you.......

Saddleback. Leather. Briefcase.

Now go look it up on the web and kop it, best you can get if you're looking for something that:

- Will fit all your shit
    - Will last for yeeeeeaaars
    - Will look better over time and wear
    - Will take more serious punishment than you could ever dish out

There you go my little special flower you..................

You're a douche if you think your three sweet little words are the penultimate solution to his question, my friend.

Try carrying that bag as a city bike messenger for five years, rain, shine and snow (or any bag for that matter) and see what your fashion sensibilities get you. Or better yet, try carrying it to filthy construction sites while trying to keep architectural documents clean, like some of us do, and then also trying to keep a bag respectable looking in the office too, and I'll consider your bag.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Manbag means something totally different to some people. [​IMG]

Agreed. See my pissy, obnoxious post above.

A few suggestions if you're looking for a bomb-proof, proven weatherproof shoulder-strap/messenger style bag. I've owned a number of both and put them through their paces (and now use them for architectural use). Will still look new in ten years. Really. (However, DiMartini, because it's canvas, will develop some real character and patina).

ReLoad:

http://www.reloadbags.com/bags/overv...gle_strap.html

DiMartini: the famous and classic icon against which all other messenger bags are measured:

http://www.demartinibags.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=29

If you're looking for a backpack, try ReLoad too. If you need a 'briefcase' with a shoulder strap, these ain't for you.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

PS - Ninja, how do you typically wear a messenger bag? They should actually be the easiest to access of any bag, which is the point (quick access is easy if you slide it to your side like a holster around your lower chest/hip area when grabbing something out of it).

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Filson 258.

14. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

You're a douche if you think your three sweet little words are the penultimate solution to his question, my friend.

Try carrying that bag as a city bike messenger for five years, rain, shine and snow (or any bag for that matter) and see what your fashion sensibilities get you. Or better yet, try carrying it to filthy construction sites while trying to keep architectural documents clean, like some of us do, and then also trying to keep a bag respectable looking in the office too, and I'll consider your bag.

i do exactly this, almost every day, with the saddleback bag he mentioned. couldn't be happier with it.