• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try it along with a sip of Woodford as well that has become my go-to bourbon in the last year.

I usually drink Woodford neat. I got a bottle of Baker but didn't like it until I drank it splashed over ice, then the Baker really came alive. It will be interesting to try the Knob Creek and Buffalo alone and on ice as well.

One of our favorite restaurants in San Francisco LOVES Buffalo Trace. It was a gold medal winner and apparently is developing a following. What they need is a cool bottle and some marketing.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
An old vine grenache from McClaren Vale. I swear, that region makes great wine.

I find the Ozzys are practically bulletproof at just about any price point. If you are one of those Pinot weenies, you might like Coldstream Hills from the Yarra Valley.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
We decided early on that no notes, no purchases, and just "experience" it. The stand outs for me last night were a 1997 brunello, a supertuscan (and my cellar/wine knowledge of I wines is low), a 2000 Burgundy, and oddly, a Washington state zin.

Not to say there wasn't a ton of other great stuff. You know how your tongue gets at a big tasting, and there was a ton of great food, from wagyu beef to seared ahi to caviar on salmon mousse to crab bisque. One noted local chef was there, doing figs stuffed with cheese (fontina I think) and pine nuts, wrapped in prosciutto, and baked. Another well known local guy had lobster ravioli in a very rich sauce.

Other tasty wine included several Cali pinots and cabs. Oh, note to BV lovers. The 2005 is radically different in taste from prior vintages. Far oakier and not a good thing IMO. If you liked the Georges de Latour BV, stock up on past vintages. A really nice Oregeon pinot I can't remember the name of. Was ranked #3 in the Robb Report if that helps.

Krug and Moet was flowing everywhere. One guy was pouring 30 year tawny, can't remember which house, but one of the major Port houses. Someone else was pouring DuMol pinot (yum). One table was a cocktail based around Contreau.

The weather was perfect, the lodge is set in beautiful surroundings, and my wife greatly enjoyed this part of her b-day weekend.

How do you avoid becoming a totally fat ****?
laugh.gif

I'm watching Penn State do Ohio State in their own crib whilst quaffing cheap Argentinian malbec.

You might as well start drowning your sorrows now, Conne ...
devil.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I'm watching Penn State do Ohio State in their own crib whilst quaffing cheap Argentinian malbec. You might as well start drowning your sorrows now, Conne ...
devil.gif

I am eating myself to death tonight...hello chocolate
frown.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffalo Trace Bourbon won the Pocketsquareguy bourbon taste-off between Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek and Woodford. But Woodford is still an excellent runner up.

Clearly BT doesn't have any marketing money otherwise we would all be drinking it. It is excellent and wish to thank the bartenders at the Slanted Door in San Francisco for raving about it.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Buffalo Trace Bourbon won the Pocketsquareguy bourbon taste-off between Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek and Woodford. But Woodford is still an excellent runner up.

Clearly BT doesn't have any marketing money otherwise we would all be drinking it. It is excellent and wish to thank the bartenders at the Slanted Door in San Francisco for raving about it.

Recently I heard something very similar about Buffalo Trace. Glad to have a second opinion.

I've got my eye on a couple of fine American whiskeys right now but I don't want to say anything that might jinx myself before I can pick them up. They aren't too easy to come by.

Once I'm over the hump with some bills in a few weeks, I'll be shelling out for several bottles of spirits in a relatively short period. Patience is hard.
frown.gif

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Patience is hard.
frown.gif

Yes. I completely agree.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

This is the third time in just as many days that I've heard this. I know what I'm ordering next time at the bar.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was gifted a bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 by a friend of mine, I finally cracked it open tonight. Fabulously complex, but not exactly worth the high price tag. Complements my Oneoff Ninfa quite exquisitley
pyrat1623.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been away for a while -- some of these recent posts are making me proud! King, that Crag Distillery edition is a stunner, enjoy. Tonight, Averna Amaro.
averna.jpg
You know, one of the many nice things about having a bar at home is being able to go on a little adventure whenever you feel like it. There's always something different, something right for the moment at hand, without the complications of maintaining a variety of different foodstuffs from perishing. There are just these bottles, bottles from everywhere on the planet, bottles containing the most bland, to the most potent expression of every flavor that exists. It's not a drink; it's an experience. ~ Huntsman

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You know, one of the many nice things about having a bar at home is being able to go on a little adventure whenever you feel like it. There's always something different, something right for the moment at hand, without the complications of maintaining a variety of different foodstuffs from perishing. There are just these bottles, bottles from everywhere on the planet, bottles containing the most bland, to the most potent expression of every flavor that exists.

It's not a drink; it's an experience.

~ Huntsman

cheers.gif

I don't understand the people who drink only on certain occasions. I do understand the desire not to drink too often, but once in a while, you know, pour an after-dinner brandy or a couple fingers of bourbon. Linger over your existence. For me the drinking of wine and spirits, like romance, is about elevating the everyday moments and not merely enshrining the special ones.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
cheers.gif

I don't understand the people who drink only on certain occasions. I do understand the desire not to drink too often, but once in a while, you know, pour an after-dinner brandy or a couple fingers of bourbon. Linger over your existence. For me the drinking of wine and spirits, like romance, is about elevating the everyday moments and not merely enshrining the special ones.

+1

and for now the morning coffee and orange juice..

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black coffee. What an awesome elixir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics