• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

banis

Reaction score
i-XGzwgvb-XL.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May be just the picture, but this coat looks too small, almost like the buttons are at risk of flying off..

The curved button band (how do you call that?) doesn't help. And the pose with the arms back.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does not normally look like that. I had 2 sweaters on and had my arms back. Not the best idea for a pic.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keeping Warm and Trying To Keep A Cold Away
Finally cold enough to wear my new coat

gotta say i'm not crazy about the coat, either, but man you do have some great sweaters. thanks to this thread, i'm steering my wardrobe in that direction away from so many jackets and blazers

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

N4Tr1.jpg

Nothing special but at least it's cool enough to wear real clothes.

Bah, white v-neck, black orphaned jacket, dirty sneakers and jeans. Yes, most of it fit more or less well. Yes, you're a good-looking guy. Yet this is such a douchey outfit, I'm surprised you lowered yourself to this. Every idiot and his dog wears this ensemble, thinking they've dressed up and they look fantastic. Even if this did look good (and it doesn't), I'd never wear it due to the intentional or unintentional sloppiness, the amount of people already doing it, the "cool" factor of this in the eyes of uneducated masses and the inevitable fall of this fashion. This is like the worst kind of pop-music. You're better than this.

The coat may be just a little too big, no? But great look otherwise!

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gotta say i'm not crazy about the coat, either, but man you do have some great sweaters. thanks to this thread, i'm steering my wardrobe in that direction away from so many jackets and blazers

I have way too many sweaters, but I work in a climate controlled lab, so I wear them all year round. I spend all day in a perfect 20°C plus or minus 1/2°C. It is great in the summer, but gets rough in the cold of winter. I am just lucky the lab is in the South and not in New England with those winters.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have way too many sweaters, but I work in a climate controlled lab, so I wear them all year round. I spend all day in a perfect 20°C plus or minus 1/2°C. It is great in the summer, but gets rough in the cold of winter. I am just lucky the lab is in the South and not in New England with those winters.

my reasoning is different. i work in a profession where khakis and a blazer is the uniform. hardly anybody pays any attention to fashion, so hardly anybody notices that my jackets are a little bit better than the penny's tweeds they're wearing. but a sweater is just different enough that it registers.

PTWilliams

Reaction score

Willis and Geiger tweed jacket
Loro Piana fllannel cotton shirt
RLPL tobacco cord pants
Edward green loafers.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my reasoning is different. i work in a profession where khakis and a blazer is the uniform. hardly anybody pays any attention to fashion, so hardly anybody notices that my jackets are a little bit better than the penny's tweeds they're wearing. but a sweater is just different enough that it registers.

I know that feeling. Most that work in my lab would not know Walmart quality from anything else. Their idea of nice clothes are True Religion jeans they get off the net for cheap. I try to maintain a more professional look in the lab.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

don't like that jacket gives the impression your gut is so big it's about to bust open...

That's Woolrich, right? I hear it's supposed to fit slim. :slayer:

Every idiot and his dog wears this ensemble, thinking they've dressed up and they look fantastic....I'd never wear it due to...the amount of people already doing it, the "cool" factor of this in the eyes of uneducated masses

I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to call someone 'douche-y', then write something like this. (And since when does 'educated' mean dressed by internets instead of in relation to peer group? This just...doesn't seem very well thought-out. :( )

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to call someone 'douche-y', then write something like this. (And since when does 'educated' mean dressed by internets instead of in relation to peer group? This just...doesn't seem very well thought-out. :( )

You can't possibly take it out of context like this. I don't care if something's just being worn by everyone or that it is hip or cool. I wear jeans and sneakers and those pretty much fall into that category. What I care about is that this is a fashion fad that doesn't even look good.

"Educated" means realizing what purpose each article of clothing serves. You don't have to dress like an "old man" to look good, I'll leave that notion to some of the more anally retentive people on this forum. Nobody says you can't wear deep v-neck t-shirts or jeans with jackets. You just have to do it right. In my subjective perception of his outfit he didn't do it right. And usually I like what he posts.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
N4Tr1.jpg

Nothing special but at least it's cool enough to wear real clothes.

Bah, white v-neck, black orphaned jacket, dirty sneakers and jeans. Yes, most of it fit more or less well. Yes, you're a good-looking guy. Yet this is such a douchey outfit, I'm surprised you lowered yourself to this. Every idiot and his dog wears this ensemble, thinking they've dressed up and they look fantastic. Even if this did look good (and it doesn't), I'd never wear it due to the intentional or unintentional sloppiness, the amount of people already doing it, the "cool" factor of this in the eyes of uneducated masses and the inevitable fall of this fashion. This is like the worst kind of pop-music. You're better than this.

The coat may be just a little too big, no? But great look otherwise!

meee-yow! That's a navy casual blazer, not an orphaned jacket. It is nothing special- thus the nothing special. That jacket would probably be best paired with a white button-up and some interesting pants, maybe red or pink.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads