• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The tie is more appropriate for use with a hard worsted suit, not cotton (?) casual pants.

As for their dress code, I guess you can consider it the first of many indignities you'll be forced to endure in pursuit of a paycheck.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-posting:

Rain all day. Slightly more casual since my office doesn't allow anyone to wear a jacket unless they are going to court.
baldy[1].gif

Quote:

Require tie and deny jacket? WTF?

I hate to beat a dead horse but that makes no sense. Business attire, business casual or casual attire are typical. To specify 'tie and no jacket' seems way too far off to me (and clearly several others). Can you explain how that policy was communicated to you? Could you be misinterpreting something?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Specifying no jacket is what I don't understand. What if it's cool inside the office or you want a jacket to place your wallet and other personal items in its pockets.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I work in a corporate law firm with 65 attorneys in my office, 65 clerks, and maybe 40 paralegals. I was told the dress code wasshirt and tie monday-thursday, and "corporate casual" on friday which means no tie. I walked in my first day with a navy blazer, tie, and chinos and the head of HR looked at me and said, "don't ever come to work in a jacket again." Then she made me put it in my car. Having been in the office for two weeks I've seen what everyone else wears. All the attorneys wear a shirt and tie without a jacket (they dont even bring the jacket with them). If they are going to court, they obviously wear a full suit.

I don't like it, I'd rather wear a jacket and no tie, then a tie and no jacket, but I can't complain since they are giving me my paycheck.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:crazy:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't like it, I'd rather wear a jacket and no tie, then a tie and no jacket, but I can't complain since they are giving me my paycheck.

This.

Perhaps some more casual ties (assuming they don't have a ban on knits, etc.) would make the best of the situation.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I work in a corporate law firm with 65 attorneys in my office, 65 clerks, and maybe 40 paralegals.  I was told the dress code wasshirt and tie monday-thursday, and "corporate casual" on friday which means no tie.  I walked in my first day with a navy blazer, tie, and chinos and the head of HR looked at me and said, "don't ever come to work in a jacket again."  Then she made me put it in my car.  Having been in the office for two weeks I've seen what everyone else wears.  All the attorneys wear a shirt and tie without a jacket (they dont even bring the jacket with them).  If they are going to court, they obviously wear a full suit.

To be fair, a strict no jacket policy did put us on the moon...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awesome nerds get a pass. Lawyers? Not so much.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can understand them not wanting interns out dressing the attorneys and, instead of going in the everyone wears jackets direction, they went with the everyone dress like a schlub direction.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Houston/Miami in the mid-60's (ie poor AC) in the middle of summer. NO SHAME.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Take 2:

Shirt by Ralph Lauren
Tie and tie bar by TheTieBar.com
Pants by J. Crew
Shoes by Allen Edmonds

I took some advice from others yesterday and went with a knit tie today. I think I'm going to by a few better knit ties and start wearing them more often. Also my shirt is a mint green.

The pants arent as wrinkled as they look in this picture.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in a corporate law firm with 65 attorneys in my office, 65 clerks, and maybe 40 paralegals. I was told the dress code wasshirt and tie monday-thursday, and "corporate casual" on friday which means no tie. I walked in my first day with a navy blazer, tie, and chinos and the head of HR looked at me and said, "don't ever come to work in a jacket again." Then she made me put it in my car. Having been in the office for two weeks I've seen what everyone else wears. All the attorneys wear a shirt and tie without a jacket (they dont even bring the jacket with them). If they are going to court, they obviously wear a full suit.

First warning flag that your law firm has issues. My suspicion is that your law firm has 1-2 all powerful partners that have dictated how they believe everyone should be dressing based on some outdated ideal. Truly, truly bizarre in a day and age where more and more clients tell their attorneys to dress down for meetings and leave the tie at home. I see the suit with no tie look in corporate America much more than the tie, no jacket look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads