• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oleg

Reaction score

I work in a corporate law firm with 65 attorneys in my office, 65 clerks, and maybe 40 paralegals.  I was told the dress code wasshirt and tie monday-thursday, and "corporate casual" on friday which means no tie.  I walked in my first day with a navy blazer, tie, and chinos and the head of HR looked at me and said, "don't ever come to work in a jacket again."  Then she made me put it in my car.  Having been in the office for two weeks I've seen what everyone else wears.  All the attorneys wear a shirt and tie without a jacket (they dont even bring the jacket with them).  If they are going to court, they obviously wear a full suit.

I don't like it, I'd rather wear a jacket and no tie, then a tie and no jacket, but I can't complain since they are giving me my paycheck.

What a shower of arseholes. Surely it's either a formal or casual office? I can understand the business casual stipulation to make sure folk aren't coming to work in Havianas. But this just sounds like A1 fuckwittery.
This sort of thing actually makes me angry. Not only because it's a sartorial abomination (what next, 'can't wear those shoes, they're too nice. Go and find some shitey chiselled toed efforts in crap leather with a rubber sole'?) but because it's corporate wankerishness at its worst.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants finally fit great. Now let's work on the upper half.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

The pants finally fit great. Now let's work on the upper half.

okayguy.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday and today:
c884c22a.jpg

6b397221.jpg

fd11c7be.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

Sunday Bay Ridge Norwegian Day Parade, in front of an Italian bakery:
ae8e8f0a.jpg

Paesans always on the hunt...lol

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First warning flag that your law firm has issues.  My suspicion is that your law firm has 1-2 all powerful partners that have dictated how they believe everyone should be dressing based on some outdated ideal.  Truly, truly bizarre in a day and age where more and more clients tell their attorneys to dress down for meetings and leave the tie at home.  I see the suit with no tie look in corporate America much more than the tie, no jacket look.
In most of the business casual meetings I attend guys are either in suit sans tie or shirt and pants sans jacket and tie.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
little more "dressed up" today.

Shirt by Ralph Lauren
Tie by BB
Tie bar by TheTieBar.com
Pants part of suit
Shoes by Allen Edmonds

The shirt looks a little big, however, it fits pretty well. I always get a slight "wrinkle" around the sides.

Last edited:

The Gold Bug

Reaction score

little more "dressed up" today.

Shirt by Ralph Lauren
Tie by BB
Tie bar by TheTieBar.com
Pants part of suit
Shoes by Allen Edmonds

The shirt looks a little big, however, it fits pretty well.  I always get a slight "wrinkle" around the sides.

That tie is foul.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads