• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partially wore the hat because it is going to be colder at the office than at home and partially because I did not feel like putting product in my hair. I think it worked out well.

Snapseed (1).jpg
Snapseed (2).jpg
Snapseed (3).jpg

Epicure

Reaction score

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal preference would be to have more contrast between the hat and the jacket, but otherwise, I like it.

Thank you! But the pictures don’t quite do the hat justice in terms of color. The hat in real life is very clearly olive green while the sport coat is clearly brown, however the hats color didn’t quite translate properly in the photos.

I agree overall though, unfortunately I only have two proper hats. Which may in itself be reason to purchase more!

Epicure

Reaction score
Thank you! But the pictures don’t quite do the hat justice in terms of color. The hat in real life is very clearly olive green while the sport coat is clearly brown, however the hats color didn’t quite translate properly in the photos.

I agree overall though, unfortunately I only have two proper hats. Which may in itself be reason to purchase more!

Haha, sorry to make a suggestion that ultimately serves as dirty enablement! Often the photos can distort one's view of what is seen in the real item, so I acknowledge that. I can see that the hat is green, while the jacket is brown. But it's not so much about the individual colours as the similarity in saturation of those colours, though maybe the difference in saturation is greater when viewing the real articles too. If you wanted to continuing wearing this hat and jacket together, perhaps the addition of a lighter band could work, assuming that's feasible for you? It could make the hat more versatile all round, and could save you from buying another hat just for the sake of another hat. However, there may be other factors (i.e. factors that I'm not familiar with) in play that make a lighter band inadvisable. Prior to seeking out a replacement band, it could be good to get some input from at least one of the true aficionados of hat wearing. Thoughts immediately go to @upr_crust.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, sorry to make a suggestion that ultimately serves as dirty enablement! Often the photos can distort one's view of what is seen in the real item, so I acknowledge that. I can see that the hat is green, while the jacket is brown. But it's not so much about the individual colours as the similarity in saturation of those colours, though maybe the difference in saturation is greater when viewing the real articles too. If you wanted to continuing wearing this hat and jacket together, perhaps the addition of a lighter band could work, assuming that's feasible for you? It could make the hat more versatile all round, and could save you from buying another hat just for the sake of another hat. However, there may be other factors (i.e. factors that I'm not familiar with) in play that make a lighter band inadvisable. Prior to seeking out a replacement band, it could be good to get some input from at least one of the true aficionados of hat wearing. Thoughts immediately go to @upr_crust.

I agree completely. But I would love Crusty’s input!

However I am not sure a band other than a leather lace would be feasible. This hat happens to be rollable, so it is very malleable and is easily put back into and out of shape. I think I may be worried a leather band would fall off, and a proper band may become warped or misshapen over time with the movement of the hat.

Epicure

Reaction score
I agree completely. But I would love Crusty’s input!

However I am not sure a band other than a leather lace would be feasible. This hat happens to be rollable, so it is very malleable and is easily put back into and out of shape. I think I may be worried a leather band would fall off, and a proper band may become warped or misshapen over time with the movement of the hat.
Ah! Fair enough.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with Alocin's and Epicure's observations on Alocin's hat - there is not enough contrast in value (light and dark) between Alocin's jacket from yesterday and his hat, even in IRL there is the differential of color between brown and olive green. Alocin, you are right in not wishing to muck about with the hat band, and purchasing another hat is always a pleasant option. If you are to look for another hat, I'd say something mid grey, which coordinates with everything, assuming that you do not already have one.

Otherwise, the proportions of the hat you own seem to suit your face - good on you.

Epicure

Reaction score
I concur with Alocin's and Epicure's observations on Alocin's hat - there is not enough contrast in value (light and dark) between Alocin's jacket from yesterday and his hat, even in IRL there is the differential of color between brown and olive green. Alocin, you are right in not wishing to muck about with the hat band, and purchasing another hat is always a pleasant option. If you are to look for another hat, I'd say something mid grey, which coordinates with everything, assuming that you do not already have one.

Otherwise, the proportions of the hat you own seem to suit your face - good on you.

Not the first time you've sung the praises of the mid-grey hat. And with good reason. I've found this advice has played out very well in my own experience too. I have a mid grey fedora which was purchased for occasional wear with blue and grey suits, but I've found it also pairs very well with many of the earth toned jackets I wear with odd trousers on a frequent basis. To be sure, I find a brown version I own is more pleasing with some outfits, and I'd like an add an olive green fur felt hat to my collection too, but if one regularly wears a brimmed hat and is limited to just one, mid grey is truly the wisest choice.

emptym

Reaction score
^I may have to get one of those the next time he's in town. My only concern is whether it'd fly off in the wind. That stopped me from getting something similar from Nepenthes.

@EFV, I like the jacket a lot. Love 2-way zippers. Who's the maker if you don't mind?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I may have to get one of those the next time he's in town. My only concern is whether it'd fly off in the wind. That stopped me from getting something similar from Nepenthes.

@EFV, I like the jacket a lot. Love 2-way zippers. Who's the maker if you don't mind?

Cheers! I also like it quite a lot. It's a new model from Tretorn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads