• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Friday Casual...

Jacket: Kent and Curwen
Shirt: Spier & Mackay Custom OCBD
Belt: PRL
Shoes: AE Cavanaugh
Jeans: AG

_MG_9717.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short guys cuffing their trousers is a long and proud iGent tradition.

View attachment 879748

(scale is 1:1)
Is that Foo? I expected better. There should be a former members picture thread so we can see if they walked to walk as well as they talked the talk. :foo:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that Foo? I expected better. There should be a former members picture thread so we can see if they walked to walk as well as they talked the talk. :foo:

Yep, that is The Foo. This was about the time he started doing more "statement" commissions that didn't always suit his size/build rather than more straight forward early pieces that, to me, were far more flattering and successful. This, along with his "great coat" IMO, just didn't work. But, of course, he had a million arguments why they worked. Those volumes of arguments were the basis of his SF and internet reputation.

What's missing here are the early days of The Foo right after he first returned from Italy. He earnestly shared his menswear discoveries (or the leads that he had from Manton and Iammatt) , detailed photos of the construction of shirts and trousers, artisan and tailor visits. The early Foo period was actually very helpful and inspiring. It was to me anyway.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In what I saw of his posting, Foo was open, thoughtful, opinionated, manic, funny (intentionally and not), and had plenty of style. My tastes rarely (never?) overlapped with his, but that didn’t stop me from appreciating many of the things he posted. I agree with Gus that some of the pieces posted (like his great coat) were much worse to my eye than others, and that I liked earlier posts better than later posts, but all of the content he generated was worth a read for any/all of the above reasons.

Whether it reflected reality or not, I learned from another member that if you simply approached his posts as coming from someone squarely “on the spectrum,” they were far less agitating and easier to appreciate.

If you haven’t, go back and read some of his threads. It’s well worth the time.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, the most useful threads are no longer useful because all of the photos are missing. But some of the funnier ones are still worth a read:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/one-shoe-wardrobe-why-not.98968/
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...st-wallet-at-hermes-arises-victorious.215158/

Example of thread rendered useless by the lack of photos:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/get-foofed.115692/

Ha ha...yeah some real classic Foo in these threads. But, missing the early, earnest Foo in the early stages of discovering his own style when he was still more open to discussion rather than trying to convince the world that his opinion was correct.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Ha ha...yeah some real classic Foo in these threads. But, missing the early, earnest Foo in the early stages of discovering his own style when he was still more open to discussion rather than trying to convince the world that his opinion was correct.

Wow that thread brings back memories...a lot of old timers on that one!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads