• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage watch -$1000

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
I'm looking to splash out on a timeless (no pun intended) watch as I've recently had a bit of good fortune.

I really like the look of 50's-60's omega seamasters and my instinct is to go for one of those.

However, given that you guys are very knoledgable about such things, I wondered if you could show me some alternatives in a similar style that I could acquire for £600-700 (I put the thread title in dollars as I figured the majority here are American).

for reference; I don't really like metal straps or big chunky looking sporty watches. I'm not too fussed about precious metals and I don't mind if it's something I might have to search around for (that's part of the fun)

Thanks in advance

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1960's era IWC in a rose gold case for under $1k. Very nice watch with a great movement.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread made me kind of interested as well. It would be cool to have an alternate 50s or 60s watch. What are some to look for? What price? Where do you find them?

gwolf

Reaction score
i've also seen gold dialed rolex watches selling as much as the seamasters but i don't know which model it was. i haven't checked the price nor am i really knowledgeable on watches but i like vintage omega constellations just by the way they look.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, hit TZ and look.

I would also highly recommend a vintage Hamilton from the golden era. I know you are more interested in a round watch, but many of the Hamilton tanks are quite stunning, have very high grade movements, and can be had in gold in your price range.

Mike

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make sure you buy from a reputable seller. I have been screwed over by seemingly good deals and have gotten shoddy movements, that have cost me five times the cost of the watch to fix.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Make sure you buy from a reputable seller. I have been screwed over by seemingly good deals and have gotten shoddy movements, that have cost me five times the cost of the watch to fix.

any reputable seller you recommend?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, but I have an unreputable seller to recommend.
laugh.gif

It was an ebay purchase. I would just do some research as to who you are buying from, see if anybody else as used them.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
I'm looking to splash out on a timeless (no pun intended) watch as I've recently had a bit of good fortune.

I really like the look of 50's-60's omega seamasters and my instinct is to go for one of those.

However, given that you guys are very knoledgable about such things, I wondered if you could show me some alternatives in a similar style that I could acquire for £600-700 (I put the thread title in dollars as I figured the majority here are American).

for reference; I don't really like metal straps or big chunky looking sporty watches. I'm not too fussed about precious metals and I don't mind if it's something I might have to search around for (that's part of the fun)

Thanks in advance

I'll second your 50's-60's Seamaster instinct. The quality, elegance and availability are all there.

This is one reputable online dealer with a very convenient search function. Just plug in 1950's or 1960's for AGE; up to EUR 1000 for price range; any of the other parameters you might wish to set. They have quite a few watches which might fit your criteria.

Gisbert A.Joseph watches

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled from Timezone...I have checked all these sites. Timezone also has a link to buying vintage watch advice which I found helpful.

I would love to see more advice here though. I have looked at several vintage watches but I have a little trouble getting past some of the beat upedness of them. (perhaps I am not a true collector) I am also a big fan of the WWII watches. One of these links had a WWII Seiko for about $1500, which if was in better condition I would have been tempted to buy.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I have a nice looking Seamaster from the 60s. I paid less than $400. I have to bump it after winding to get it started, but it works great besides.

I have a nice looking Omega from the 40s. I paid less than $350 I think. It works great.

From my experience, vintage watches that are automatic have more issues than those that are not automatic. But my experience is limited. Make sure the auction specifies when the watch was last serviced. Make sure the seller has good and several ratings. You can get a nice Omega for less than $500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads