• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velasca Shoes

Mirage-

Reaction score
Any updates from long time owners?

I was walking around the East Village of NYC yesterday and came across the store having never heard of the brand. I stopped in and spoke with a very nice woman who explained about some of the lasts used on different shoes. Unfortunately I was in sneakers and shorts so I did not have the opportunity to try on anything and decided to check-in here first before I go back o the store.

After reading through all 16 pages, it seems that a few years ago the shoes/boots were well priced, good quality, and great value for money but now they are almost double the price and the quality is not as good. Is this correct? Could this be due to the pandemic? Any other reason?

It also appears the owner, Enrico, stopped participating in 2017 and his account no longer exists.

And feedback would be greatly approeciated.
I think the brand expanded, opened up new stores (it now has 13, including 3 abroad, which is a lot for a brand apparently born with DTC model in mind), and decided to sharply increase margins (both directly by prices, and by cutting corners on the product) to sustain growth and probably much stronger marketing.
You can find several articles and case studies on the net (most are behind paywalls though) analyzing its rapid growth; this one (in Italian, sorry) claims the brand registered +80% growth in Q1 of 2020 AND 2021, in good part due to expansion outside Italy. It also claims Velasca is preparing to launch other kinds of products besides shoes, i.e. presumably become a full-fledged clothing brand.
You can also look into the new (launched in 2021) women section, which hilariously removes all the technical details about the leather and shoes (apparently reserved for us nerds) and is instead full of "editorial content", in a style that mimics fashion magazines aimed at teens. This is only a prelude btw, if you buy a pair (I have firsthand experience) you get even more of that content as a sort of product guide, in the package. I swear, it's bizarre.
Some of that "teen language" effect might be lost in translation with the English version though.

Anyway...it is a bit sad, it was the single affordable Italian shoe brand, that I know about, that was worth buying. But it no longer is in my book. So it looks like I will have to keep not buying locally, at least until I can afford something like Bonafe.

Coast1

Reaction score
Any updates from long time owners?

I was walking around the East Village of NYC yesterday and came across the store having never heard of the brand. I stopped in and spoke with a very nice woman who explained about some of the lasts used on different shoes. Unfortunately I was in sneakers and shorts so I did not have the opportunity to try on anything and decided to check-in here first before I go back o the store.

After reading through all 16 pages, it seems that a few years ago the shoes/boots were well priced, good quality, and great value for money but now they are almost double the price and the quality is not as good. Is this correct? Could this be due to the pandemic? Any other reason?

It also appears the owner, Enrico, stopped participating in 2017 and his account no longer exists.

And feedback would be greatly approeciated.

Hello, I came across Velasca shoes about a year ago. I guess the price increase had already taken affect by the time I purchased my first pair of Goodyear welted shoes (Sfrosader). However I think they are still priced similar or below other good year welted shoes here in the U.S. I wear mostly Alden shoes but those are priced much higher.

I wear my Velascas a lot, I’ve walked in them for hours at a time on hard surface street and I love them. They are confortable. I would definitely purchase another pair in the future, maybe the same model shoe in a different color.

Webbo

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased anything from their cordovan collection; specifically, the Moros penny loafer? I am little hesitant purchasing something like cordovan from a brand when I can’t find reviews for that collection. Thanks.
I have just bought a pair. Moros dark brown cordovan. First impressions are very good, very similar indeed in design to the Alden LHS but with slightly higher vamp (which I wanted). Dont know where the shell is from but seems very nice, no dry spots or imperfections. Fit is TTS UK 10.5, EU 44.5) but only issue I have is slight "bowing" at sides, but not much. Usually a sign the fit is too big but these fit perfectly, with room for my toes, instep and no heel slip. Will post some photos in the next days but would say they are definitely a cut above Meermin shell, reflecting the accordingly higher price.

Webbo

Reaction score
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg

Webbo

Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated. Do you wear a half-size down in loafers? Or is 10.5 your brannock/standard dress shoe size?
I’m a UK 10.5 so just went with my normal size and the fit is perfect. They are a little snug but plenty of toe room. I have a wide foot so I’m a 10.5 - 11 E on Barrie

davidazio

Reaction score
Agree. I have two pairs, an Oxford and a loafer, which I have owned for around 4-5 years and worn quite a lot. The soles of both wore out quite quickly and had to be changed, and the loafer had some construction issues, but overall good beater shoes. At the new increased prices however it looks like there are better options out there, eg Loake, Skolyx, etc.. or brands like Meermin offering similar quality at a lower price. Not sure I'd buy any more shoes from them.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not find any other Velasca related thread does anyone have any info on the quality of their clothing?

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own or has tried this loafer?

DSze9010

Reaction score
Does somebody have experience with Velasca's knitwear? I like their styling and the fact that they are using merino wool in some of their turtlenecks instead of lambswool. Depending on the quality and the upcoming black week, it might even be possibly to get a good deal.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Does somebody have experience with Velasca's knitwear? I like their styling and the fact that they are using merino wool in some of their turtlenecks instead of lambswool. Depending on the quality and the upcoming black week, it might even be possibly to get a good deal.
you get what you pay...on quality you cannot be too pretentious...but if the fit is great on you, then you get a great deal. Their wool is around 22µ, so if you are very sensible , you should not buy the turtleneck

DSze9010

Reaction score
Many thanks you for your answer. In your opinion, are there really many compromises to be made in terms of quality? At least in terms of price, they are in the same category as William Lockie Alain rollnecks made from 4-ply Geelong lambswool.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Many thanks you for your answer. In your opinion, are there really many compromises to be made in terms of quality? At least in terms of price, they are in the same category as William Lockie Alain rollnecks made from 4-ply Geelong lambswool.

Again lambswool is lambswool so if your skin in sensible then i would still go with merino high end wool or cashmere
Do you have anything from normal merino wool or anything from lambswool to test it on your neck? If you are ok with that then you will be ok with a rollneck/turtleneck. But you cannot compare WL rollneck with Velasca, price difference but also quality of the raw material, of the cut and so on...but most important is also the fit
So if both are the same price, just try the WL first

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads