• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Velasca Shoes

Kochegar

Reaction score
I took advantage of this year's BF discounts to pick up some boots and a pair of 'Spazzacamin.' I love the longwing blucher look combined with the short, rounded lasts Velasca uses. I'll post some pictures a little later.

For now, I'm looking for your thoughts on this much-discussed blake-stitch construction. Below we can see the topside of the stitch on the insole and the backside on the outsole... so far so good (though surely this should have been sunk into a channel on the outsole??).

However, there's also stitching around the outside of the shoe that's not visible on the underside. Is this just an attempt to give the appearance of a blake-rapid or Goodyear construction?
Hi

1. Stitching will wear out, not so dangerous though. Agree with you that the way stitching is made is not optimal
2. These are Blake-stiched, welt stitching is fake. Before 2017 Velasca made Blake-Rapid with rubber soles.

LB_J

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Indeed, Velasca confirmed that the welt stitching is for show.

Black Bear

Reaction score
When the stitches on the rubber outsole of my Velasca's started tearing, I asked customer service about this and was told that the visible stitches are purely aesthetic and that the real welt is underneath the rubber sole. Is this even possible?

LB_J

Reaction score
When the stitches on the rubber outsole of my Velasca's started tearing, I asked customer service about this and was told that the visible stitches are purely aesthetic and that the real welt is underneath the rubber sole. Is this even possible?
As long as your Velasca's are of the blake-stitched variety, the topside of the structural stitching is under your foot (in some models you can peer inside and see it). The underside of that blake-stitch is what you see on the outsole. The 'welt' stitching seems to be for show, though they do make a handful of goodyear-welted shoes (in their current line-up these seem to be the Polentatts, Sfrosadors and Questurins.)

Black Bear

Reaction score
As long as your Velasca's are of the blake-stitched variety, the topside of the structural stitching is under your foot (in some models you can peer inside and see it). The underside of that blake-stitch is what you see on the outsole. The 'welt' stitching seems to be for show, though they do make a handful of goodyear-welted shoes (in their current line-up these seem to be the Polentatts, Sfrosadors and Questurins.)
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the white stitches underneath the outsole, not the fake welt.

This was the reply I got:

"Hi Paul, thanks for your question.
The outhern stitching are just estethical, (so if they fade is not a problem). The real seaming is inside and non visible."

Canlad

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the white stitches underneath the outsole, not the fake welt.

This was the reply I got:

"Hi Paul, thanks for your question.
The outhern stitching are just estethical, (so if they fade is not a problem). The real seaming is inside and non visible."
I didn't realize the outside stitch is also just for show. It sounds like the outsole is glued on. This is adding to my decision not to buy anymore shoes from Velasca. I really like the look of their shoes, but they charging a hefty premium for a lot of shortcuts. There are plenty of online shoemakers offering GYW shoes with similar leather quality at a lower, in some case way lower, price point.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should also be noted that the Goodyear welted models have corrected grain leather instead, so another shortcut added to those instead. My choice from Velasca would be the few models they still do Blake/Rapid with.

LB_J

Reaction score
I didn't realize the outside stitch is also just for show. It sounds like the outsole is glued on. This is adding to my decision not to buy anymore shoes from Velasca. I really like the look of their shoes, but they charging a hefty premium for a lot of shortcuts. There are plenty of online shoemakers offering GYW shoes with similar leather quality at a lower, in some case way lower, price point.
The blake stitching on the underside is structural, though once it gets torn up (which seems to be happening--the stitches are pretty exposed) then it's only really glue keeping everything together. The aesthetic stitching is on the 'welt':

IMG_2744[25755].jpg

Black Bear

Reaction score
I own four pairs of Velasca shoes, all with rubber soles. Although I like them, I must say I'm feeling a little scammed right now... But all four pairs have been bought with discounts, so it's not that bad.

I might still buy a pair of blake/rapid shoes from them in the future, although I'd like to check out other brands too.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.