1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

UNIS, any info on this brand?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Anyone try the Gio's recently?

I haven't bought a pair in almost 2 years, was in the LA store this weekend, tried on both the Gio and Gio Skinny, they definetly trimed down the cut on the Gio. I prefer the new Gio cut to previous version. Both the Gio and Skinny fit comparable in the top block, skinny is naturally a bit slimmer in the thigh, and has a much greater taper below the knee. Truthfully though, the fit for me was pretty similar between the two.

Going to go back and pick up the Gio in Army.

2. forsan

forsan Senior member

No experience with the older cuts, but picked up two pairs of Skinny's in the last month or so. Favorite pair of pants by far. I normally take a 31-32 in other brands - I would say the Skinny is definitely vanity sized. I've been getting them in a 30.

3. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

Are the Gios worth the money when you can get GAP Lived-in chinos for less than 20 bucks? Love my GAPs.

4. karmaguy

karmaguy Senior member

i haven't worn GAP chinos in years but from what i remember the fit was pretty awful. for me, gios are worth the price tag because the fit is perfect for a guy like me (5'8 150).

5. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

They've been redesigned. I was insanely hesitant to purchase them, but took the plunge when I saw them on sale with +35% off coupon. Only thing from GAP I own currently.

6. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Gio's are expensive yes, everyone saw that deabte going back and forth between Eunice Lee and some guy posting on Well-Spent.com

Are they worth the $150 more than the GAP pants? Probably not. They are made here in L.A., better fit for most comapred to GAP, I would imagine better material too. At the end of the day it is your call. I personally am a big fan of UNIS.

7. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

I'm a big fan of Unis, however, I don't think the fit or materials is better on the Gios compared to GAP. Working in garment district in NYC I see that "Made in USA" means being made by the hands of illegal Chinese immigrants in NYC. I honestly think their stuff is overpriced and basically the APC of the US. Still, a fan of her designs.

8. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Senior member

I agree. I owned a couple of pairs. The fit is nice but other than that, they are pretty overrated. Nothing special really. At that price point you can get chinos with better construction, fit, and material (I.e. W+H, Left Field, etc.)

9. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

^
    I agree. W+H and Left Field are good examples. Most Gio's go on sale, so unless you must have them, it's usually smart to sleep on it and wait for the sale. That being said I am loving the Army Gio's right now, and want to break my own rule and buy'em.

10. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Senior member

Thats a good point. Usually Gios go on sale twice a year ranging from 30-50% off. At that price point they're a good deal. That being said, W+H retailers also have 30-50% sales on their chinos. I don't believe Left Field goes on sale often, and if they its probably not much.

11. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Left Field has their seconds and what not that are usually a solid deal. That and there are a few UNIS dealers who discount too.

All in all UNIS makes a great pant, I think they got CRAZY hype/love from the blogs a few years back coupled with Eunice's post on well-spent about what goes into making them and the company had some serious steam. I think that has died down somewhat, but like everyone has said, solid company, good pants, but not the end all be all with regards to chinos.

12. jhoo04

jhoo04 Senior member

Just want to chime in here. I've never tried left field so I won't comment but there is no comparison between w+h and Unis. The fabric blows w+h away and I don't know if you've ever tried to alter a w+h chino but its brutal. Those two reasons alone I will never go back to w+h. Yes I am biased but to be completely honest once you try a pair of Unis its an entirely different experience in terms of construction, fit, quality and fabric. Just my two cents.

J.

1 person likes this.
  13. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Anyone have the Emmett shorts and can comment on fit and inseam?

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I used W+H west points as my go to pants for a year or two, seams busted, fabric looks crappy overall just look cheap. My Left Fields all look new minus some fading and crotch wear and my Epaulets are the same. Gotta stop by the LA store soon, been wanting to try on a few pairs

15. trueskills

trueskills Member

People have said the gios usually go on sale around August, generally how low do they get and around what time in August? Late in the month? (so i know roughly when to pull the trigger) Because within the past few days the gios have started going on sale ~$150

16. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

do the other colors go on sale?

18. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Rarely through UNIS, though all go on sale through their stockists.

19. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

take it from spencer he's the a hole who buys at retail to trigger the sales :fistbump:

20. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Sad but true :bigstar:

Got another pair of Emmett shorts at retail today too. However, thouse I know will not go on sale until later in the summer (likely August)