• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Can anyone recommend an excellent quality hooded zip sweatshirt? If you had to choose only 1 as a staple for your wardrobe, what would you choose? Thx.
Marc Jacobs leather hoodie?

jekyoo_style

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
Can someone recommend to me a pair of cheap denim jeans that are dark(er) blue and are lightweight and thin? I bought a pair of CKs this weekend that fit the bill except they stonewashed them so much they lost much of their blue. BTW, i paid $25 after using a 25% Macy's F&F coupon,. Orig MSRP was around $60.

I'm gonna return them b/c I got home and realized I have 3 other pairs just like them (!).

Levi's imo are the best bang for bucks jeans out there. Depending on the fitting you want, look into the 501 (straight leg), 514 (slim straight), 511 (skinny).

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the hoodie recs. I like the W&H options and love that hoodie from Blackbird. The Marc Jacobs leather hoodie is really different. I like the idea, though it seems like something i might try further down the road rather than something to start off with.

Scionicus

Reaction score
I really like the neck of this tee but apparently the material is thin enough to be pretty much see-through. Can anyone recommend me a similar U or wideneck tee that's under $50 and decent quality?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 139proof
So: what should I ask the tailor to do? I already know that the shirt needs to be fitted (CK "slim" is pretty big on me), and I'm thinking of getting the tie shortened. I don't have enough money to go buy a new blazer, even though I've been told that it's ill-fitting around the shoulders (it's BDG"”found it new at a thrift store). Also, if there's anything awful about the whole outfit, tell me (and, preferably, how to fix it). I'm new to this.

It would be cheaper to get a slim suit at H&M and work with it than it will be to fix everything here that needs to be fixed.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the SF opinion on Topman clothing? I'm a clothing n00b been looking to improve my wardrobe and some of their stuff looks quality and affordable, particularly their jackets.

I'm a broke college student so if anybody could also recommend me some nice, affordable peacoats/leather jackets that would be appreciated.

imschatz

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a "longer" trench coat. Something to the knee-ish.
SHAD-MO203_V1.jpg
I really like this, but something a bit longer. Anything in particular I should be looking for. I'm having trouble googling "knee-ish length trench coat". Style: Prefer double-breasted, and light grey/beige .. but really would just like to start looking at this point. Price: $200-300. Nothing more.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Ok, I am finally putting my foot down. For quite I while I have been lurking on SF and clothing sites getting a feel for what I like and what I want. I haven't had much money or the initiative to start buying though until now. I am 18 and most of my wardrobe is not worth wearing and now that I'll be going away to college I am prepared to scrap most of it to start new and spend some money on some life-long pieces and cheap basics. The help I need from you guys is steering me in the direction of some brands that will meet my needs both for fit (tall and skinny guy here) and price.

Stats -
5' 10"
125lbs
15.5" Neck
33" Chest
28" Natural Waist

Items (if you think any of these is under or over represented, please chime in) -
5 Casual Shirts
2-3 Cardigans
2-3 Sweaters
5 Basic T's
1 Premium Jean (something like APC)
2-3 Cheap Jeans (Levis and the like for black/overdyed or white jeans)
3? Pants
1-2 Shoes (leather shoes, could be worn with jeans or chinos/pants)
Accessories - ties mostly, socks, jewelry

I need to know along what lines I should be thinking in terms of brands. My price point is low, I would probably be looking to spend around $1k on all of this stuff so can't really afford to splurge on the pieces. Also, this is made especially hard by my location (Pittsburgh) and size. It is really hard to find clothes that fit me properly as even smalls can be a bit blousy but are still often too short in the body. Bespoke seems like the way to go but it is pricey and the fabrics are often more dressy than casual. So any suggestions as to specific items or just brands/stores in general that are worth a look for my needs, price range and fit would be very, very greatly appreciated. Thank you

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLeiber32
still often too short in the body.

This is a pretty dubious claim if you're only 5'10". You're honestly not very tall, dude. It would help if you posted a pic, though. Also, looking for lifelong pieces from the start is not necessarily the best way to go, since it takes a while to figure out what will and won't work for you. Lurking B&S for deals is probably your best option, as it can be hard to find clothes for a guy as skinny as you in the malls.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
This is a pretty dubious claim if you're only 5'10". You're honestly not very tall, dude. It would help if you posted a pic, though. Also, looking for lifelong pieces from the start is not necessarily the best way to go, since it takes a while to figure out what will and won't work for you. Lurking B&S for deals is probably your best option, as it can be hard to find clothes for a guy as skinny as you in the malls.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The too short issue usually comes up with something like a t-shirt or polo where I could just use an extra two inches or so moreso than a collared shirt or sweater or something. As for lifelong pieces I just mean certain things that are pretty standard and work with a ton of styles like peacoats, trenches, a good pair of shoes if I can afford to splurge on a pair, etc. B&S does seem like a good choice and I check it out a lot but it seems like meeting some of my needs is going to be hard in a practical timeframe and I'm just going to end up with a bunch of secondhand clothes I bought because they seemed like a good deal at the time
blush.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I'm having trouble finding a "longer" trench coat. Something to the knee-ish.
SHAD-MO203_V1.jpg

I really like this, but something a bit longer. Anything in particular I should be looking for. I'm having trouble googling "knee-ish length trench coat".

Style: Prefer double-breasted, and light grey/beige .. but really would just like to start looking at this point.
Price: $200-300. Nothing more.

Why not go vintage? You can get a nice Burberry trench in your size for much less than $200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads