Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Senior member

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

slim pants in 29" < 100$

Is it possible?

Which type of pants? J Crew offers jeans and chinos for less than $100.

3. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

Oh my god, I love those jeans. But the price tag is kinda heavy for me.
    This is what I think whenever I see something on Self Edge, moreso at the 300$ shirts tho.

4. Largo

Largo Senior member

noob question:

Is their an official thread for Samurai denim?

I've done several searches under the obvious combinations ("official samurai", "samurai denim", "samurai thread", etc.) and can't turn anything up.

There was this, but I can't think of any threads with a lot of longevity or an 'OFFICIAL THREAK' or anything.

5. justpflo

justpflo Active Member

Hi guys,

I'm going to hang out with a girl this Friday for movies and a dinner. Is it fine to wear a white dress shirt tucked with blue levi's 501 rolled up and sperry boat shoes with a brown/black belt?

I haven't tried it, it seems weird in my head but I don't know...
    what say you?

or should i change my white dress shirt to a light blue one. I always feel that wearing a dress shirt tucked with jeans is too crazy/formal, but it's because I'm not comfortable with it yet.

6. srendam

srendam Senior member

noob question:

Is their an official thread for Samurai denim?

I've done several searches under the obvious combinations ("official samurai", "samurai denim", "samurai thread", etc.) and can't turn anything up.

http://www.mynudies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3321
    Not SF but worth a look.

7. tim_pnin

tim_pnin Active Member

Hi guys,

I'm going to hang out with a girl this Friday for movies and a dinner. Is it fine to wear a white dress shirt tucked with blue levi's 501 rolled up and sperry boat shoes with a brown/black belt?

I haven't tried it, it seems weird in my head but I don't know...
    what say you?

or should i change my white dress shirt to a light blue one. I always feel that wearing a dress shirt tucked with jeans is too crazy/formal, but it's because I'm not comfortable with it yet.

This look can either be of the moment and very cool, or stale and very Dad-ish. It all depends on the proportions and fit. The shirt must be OCBD, and it and your jeans should fit like this: http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1397

Don't put together an outfit that you won't feel comfortable in. Confidence in how you look is key.

As a general rule, I would say don't tuck your shirt in with jeans unless the shirt and jeans fit perfectly and you have a flat stomach.

8. Spyre

Spyre Active Member

Can anyone recommend a nice simple classic-looking pair of swim trunks? Ones that end above the knee? I can't find anything decent anywhere.....

9. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Can anyone recommend a nice simple classic-looking pair of swim trunks? Ones that end above the knee? I can't find anything decent anywhere.....

Paul Smith. Should be able to get them on sale for not too much $$$.

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Parke and Ronen make a few good pairs.

11. MikkoN

MikkoN Senior member

Just missed a pair of nice striped Stronghold on B&S.[​IMG]
    Looking for patterned jeans for summer use.
    These Strongholds rocked.
    I have also seen some really nice PS with gingham/houndstooth (not sure which one it was) on this forum.

Any ideas where to look for some similar jeans?

Cheers,
    M

12. 139proof

139proof Member

Help! I'm going to a semi-formal dinner on Friday and need to pull this outfit together. I'm getting it all tailored in a few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Yeah, I'm a small guy. Still, taller than everyone else in my family :p)

So: what should I ask the tailor to do? I already know that the shirt needs to be fitted (CK "slim" is pretty big on me), and I'm thinking of getting the tie shortened. I don't have enough money to go buy a new blazer, even though I've been told that it's ill-fitting around the shoulders (it's BDG"”found it new at a thrift store). Also, if there's anything awful about the whole outfit, tell me (and, preferably, how to fix it). I'm new to this.

13. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Can anyone recommend an excellent quality hooded zip sweatshirt? If you had to choose only 1 as a staple for your wardrobe, what would you choose?

Thx.

14. ma1

ma1 Senior member

wings + horns

15. Kurtz

Kurtz Well-Known Member

Help! I'm going to a semi-formal dinner on Friday and need to pull this outfit together. I'm getting it all tailored in a few days.

(Yeah, I'm a small guy. Still, taller than everyone else in my family :p)

So: what should I ask the tailor to do? I already know that the shirt needs to be fitted (CK "slim" is pretty big on me), and I'm thinking of getting the tie shortened. I don't have enough money to go buy a new blazer, even though I've been told that it's ill-fitting around the shoulders (it's BDG"”found it new at a thrift store). Also, if there's anything awful about the whole outfit, tell me (and, preferably, how to fix it). I'm new to this.

Maybe post this on the Men's Clothing side of the forum for a better response (and retake the pictures with better light), but from what I can see you probably need to get the jacket and shirt sleeves shortened and the waist of the jacket suppressed a little. You're right about it not fitting in the shoulders, but if it's all you've got to work with, it doesn't look all that bad.