• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Chef

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
if ed wins, i might fall into a coma. so boring.

His creeping on Tiffany is really awkward. One needs to go home so the nonreciprocal sexual tension leaves the kitchen.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
It's a television show! And the producers seem very happy with what they are putting on the air...and now they have an Emmy to re-inforce it.
frown.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
It's a television show! And the producers seem very happy with what they are putting on the air...and now they have an Emmy to re-inforce it.
frown.gif

To be fair, I believe they earned that emmy with Season 6 in Vegas. Excellent television.

Season 5 with Hosea was truly awful and it looks like this season is looking like more of the same.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
To be fair, I believe they earned that emmy with Season 6 in Vegas. Excellent television.

Season 5 with Hosea was truly awful and it looks like this season is looking like more of the same.

It is a little better than season 5, but not much.

The new desert one looks mildly interesting though.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian

If that is the case, it is of little solace inasmuch as they were then nominated for an Emmy last year (actually several) for Season Five
frown.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
if ed wins, i might fall into a coma. so boring.
dude might be able to cook, but he's glazed the whole time.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
With all of the cameras in that kitchen, they would have caught it. They literally have a camera on everything that's going on.

Actually, they don't. They typically only use two cameras at any given time - Tom Colicchio has mentioned this a couple of times. That said, I think it's 50/50 as to whether Alex stole the peas.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Actually, they don't. They typically only use two cameras at any given time - Tom Colicchio has mentioned this a couple of times. That said, I think it's 50/50 as to whether Alex stole the peas.
I've personally seen more than 2 in that kitchen, but maybe it's less when it's not on location, since those kitchens are always smaller than the top chef one. Most tv shows are 2 camera in any case, but I'm sure they'll have gotten something on camera.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If he did I'm sure he'll get caught. At the reunion show (which I've missed quite a few of), I'm sure he'll be hung out to dry.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he did I'm sure he'll get caught. At the reunion show (which I've missed quite a few of), I'm sure he'll be hung out to dry.

I doubt he did, he seems like a yutz, not a thief.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I've personally seen more than 2 in that kitchen, but maybe it's less when it's not on location, since those kitchens are always smaller than the top chef one.

Most tv shows are 2 camera in any case, but I'm sure they'll have gotten something on camera.

I hope you're right, but we may be disappointed. Here's a quote from Tom's blog :

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blog...n-to-execution

Viewers wrote in, indignantly insisting (as though they're there and they know) that cameras catch every bit of what happens in the kitchen and have footage of every chef at every moment of the process, and asserting that therefore the producers must know what happened and decided to keep viewers in the dark. Not so at all. The fact of the matter is that typically, when the chefs in the kitchen are cooking, there are only two cameras in there. Not only would more cameras be in the way of the chefs, but they would also wind up appearing in the shots taken by the other cameras and thus being seen by the viewers throughout the program. With only two cameras and nine chefs (and, part of the time, myself) to cover, it is simply impossible to get footage of everything that happens in the kitchen. So folks who wrote in that surely there is definitive footage either incriminating or exculpating Alex are wrong. I checked in with the producers a second time today "” the producers have gone over and over every minute of the footage, combing it for some indication of what happened ... and it isn't there. It hadn't been captured by the cameras. If there were footage, the producers would have been excited to air it. I was busy monitoring all the chefs at that time, and while I vaguely registered at some point that Ed was looking for his puree, I was unaware that there was any controversy or issue around it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but we may be disappointed. Here's a quote from Tom's blog :

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blog...n-to-execution

Very interesting. There's typically close ups going on, and a wider angle on the other. It's surprising that nothing was seen by the dozen or so people in the room, but I suppose it's totally possible.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm calling BS on it. i think it was totally manufactured by the producers in order to add a little jazz to what is a phenomenally boring collection of personalities. how long does it take to make a pea puree? 15 minutes?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, it looks like Alex did not steal the puree:

From Tom's Blog: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/seas...we-re-bastards

By the way, I've been in touch with some of the contestants, who have confirmed that that they did in fact witness Alex making the pea puree. He bought the peas and blanched them but had not yet decided what to do with them the day before. The next day, he made the pea puree. When asked why he didn't defend himself in the episode, Alex answered, "Why should I defend myself against something I didn't do?" Some of his fellow cheftestants may have wanted him out this week because they believed he had cheated in that earlier challenge and harbored ill will against him, but we now have corroboration that he didn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads