• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Chef

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Macaque
I agree. And the crispy onions would become mush in space.

Almost everything there would become absolutely disgusting in space. That's why I think Sosa's would do pretty well. But fish and stuff like that? dear god.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I should say that I have read a lot of disappointment from 'lay' people all over the internet about some seasons of Top Chef.

To be honest, I understand where some people are coming from, but quite frankly, for most of the people complaining, a lot of these contestants could provide the best or almost the best meal they've ever had in their life. Food snobs who only know big names don't realize who is actually doing the work - it's the people on this show. A lot of them have very impressive work histories and it is sometimes a little funny to see people deride many of the contestants as nobodies. I agree that some years the talent pool is stronger, but even some of the people who don't fare so well in the challenges and lack big personalities could make some really terrific food.

i agree for the most part, but i think last season and this have been a little different. it was my impression, at least, that in previous years the top chef competition mainly appealed to line cooks and sous chefs who were trying to make a reputation and move up and become chefs. But last year, that certainly wasn't the case with the Voltaggio brothers, etc. They were already established chefs who were more like trying to become famous. This year it seems is the same way ... i think Amanda (??) pointed out when she went last week (and WAY late imho), that she was proud of being the last line cook left on the show. i think i liked it better when it was more folks who were really working cooks, rather than guys who were more like trying out for iron chef in a couple of years.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost everything there would become absolutely disgusting in space. That's why I think Sosa's would do pretty well. But fish and stuff like that? dear god.
absolutely. i found myself wondering whether any of them would actually try to make something that followed the instructions. nope. my guess is they were given a pass off-camera.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i agree for the most part, but i think last season and this have been a little different. it was my impression, at least, that in previous years the top chef competition mainly appealed to line cooks and sous chefs who were trying to make a reputation and move up and become chefs. But last year, that certainly wasn't the case with the Voltaggio brothers, etc. They were already established chefs who were more like trying to become famous. This year it seems is the same way ... i think Amanda (??) pointed out when she went last week (and WAY late imho), that she was proud of being the last line cook left on the show. i think i liked it better when it was more folks who were really working cooks, rather than guys who were more like trying out for iron chef in a couple of years.

I'm sorry but I don't really know that that is true. There are many contestants even in the earlier seasons who were chefs. I mean take a look at one prominent finalist, perhaps one of the most accomplished of all Top Chef contestants; Dale, the last chef at Trio (who followed Achatz and Tramonto)...

Also keep in mind that a lot of them are Sous Chefs, which today has a different meaning than it did many, many years ago. In many restaurants, a Sous is as good as being CDC.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't really know that that is true. There are many contestants even in the earlier seasons who were chefs. I mean take a look at one prominent finalist, perhaps one of the most accomplished of all Top Chef contestants; Dale, the last chef at Trio (who followed Achatz and Tramonto)... Also keep in mind that a lot of them are Sous Chefs, which today has a different meaning than it did many, many years ago. In many restaurants, a Sous is as good as being CDC.
Achatz, McLain and Tramanto.. don't be dissing Shawn. Season 1 was primarily line cooks.. but the exec chefs certainly didn't start with the Votaggios. Trey from Abacus in Dallas is an exec. chef (although it's Ken Rathbun's restaurant).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people hate on Sosa so much. The guy is GOOD, really good. I've eaten at his restaurants - the food was very good, menus were tight, well thought-out and just enough of creativity without throwing you off - execution was spot on. Is this a simple of case of haters gonna hate? He's not even that obnoxious - nowhere near Marcel or Hung. Even this season, I don't even think he was the cockiest - Kenny beats him to that. So what is it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sosa was more obnoxious early on but as the competition took its toll he got more humble. Contrast that with Kenny in the "After the Knife" vids, Kenny is bitter and still thinks he is great and was unfairly tossed.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why do people hate on Sosa so much. The guy is GOOD, really good. I've eaten at his restaurants - the food was very good, menus were tight, well thought-out and just enough of creativity without throwing you off - execution was spot on. Is this a simple of case of haters gonna hate? He's not even that obnoxious - nowhere near Marcel or Hung. Even this season, I don't even think he was the cockiest - Kenny beats him to that. So what is it?

I think people don't like him mainly because he's weird. It seems like he has a mail order bride and he talks to himself. He's that weird kind of arrogant that you'd see with the class nerd who was a loner and had parents who told him he was the best etc...

Kenny is just a typical braggart, whatever.

But, Sosa is definitely the best cook left on that show.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This season got much better and more interesting in the later days. In the middle episodes, it seems like nobody was all that strong. Then a lot of people started kicking @$$. It's clear that the judges have been extremely impressed and have had to "split hairs" in Colicchio's words in order to make elimnations so the chefs apparently have more talent and originality than some of the earlier episodes made me believe.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
People don't like Angelo because he wears capri pants.

freeAgent

Reaction score
Angelo is so full of $%*t, it's hard for me to watch him. From the mail-order bride to the fake new age spirituality crap and his arrogance and scheming, I can't stand the guy. He does seem to be a damn good cook, though.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or did anyone else get the feeling that the judges were laying on the praise a little bit too thick? I think they know that coming into the finals this season was pretty weak and were trying to heap on the positives to make the audience believe that these 4 (now 3) ARE the top caliber chefs they want to see.

I'm not saying it's true, but the thought did creep into my mind.

Angelo is an odd dude for sure. But I think he plans and conceptualizes VERY well and it's reflected in his creations. Ed coming out with the double whammy was a surprise. I expected him to sort of phone it in for the elimination round. Very surprising, considering he couldn't get a single star from NYT...

Still missing Tiffany. It was sort of sad to see Kelly go; quite a bit of emotion there.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
and have had to "split hairs" in Colicchio's words

i saw what you did!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads